3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

you need to see this!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 10:29 AM
you need to see this!

I'm having cycling humming/buzzing on highway speed on my Honda Fit 2016 CVT, I removed the driver cv axel and that's what I found, metal deposits on the end joint splint!, it protrude on the smooth side of the spline.
this is my first time to buy Honda and it will be the last time.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:40 AM
5 Year Member
Shouldn't ya have let the dealer take a chance of fixing it under warranty before disassembling it yourself? Or did you buy it used with no warranty, perhaps?

Old 09-28-2016, 12:07 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, that doesn't look good.
But I also question the wisdom of that level of dismantling and investigation with a brand new vehicle that should be under warranty.

I'd show it to the service department and HOPE they don't blame the problem on improper assemble or disassembly of the parts by the owner.

It's kind of a Catch-22 though, as I doubt that would of been caught with a routine Service Department check.

Good Luck getting the problem resolved.

I wouldn't necessarily give up on the idea that you could get it fixed and still enjoy your Honda.
But if it's enough to sour you on Honda? That's unfortunate.

Old 09-28-2016, 02:19 PM
car has no warranty, I thought it wouldn't be a problem, after all its a new car!, my corolla 1995 transmission still working for 20f*cking years with no problem, and this car has a problem in one year!.

Old 09-28-2016, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
How did you get a 2016 without a warranty?

If it's a "new" car it SHOULD have a warranty.

Otherwise, I'm assuming a salvaged title or post wreck situation. Which could explain the problem.

Old 09-28-2016, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by fitchet
How did you get a 2016 without a warranty?

If it's a "new" car it SHOULD have a warranty.

Otherwise, I'm assuming a salvaged title or post wreck situation. Which could explain the problem.
yes it was salvage due to paint damage, someone scratched the car with a key all around. never been in accident.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:30 PM
jhn
Why does this happen? This isn't the first vague post like this in internets history. Did you take it back to the seller before you took it apart?

Was it a dealer?

I'm not saying who, but someone is not disclosing all the information about this car.

So you buy a salvage '16 Honda Fit that's been totaled because it was keyed and never in an accident? Really?

Now you have freak wheel bearing/half shaft damage and you've come to the conclusion that you will never buy another Honda based on this experience?

Last edited by jhn; 09-28-2016 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:44 PM
insurance company might writes off the original car as a total loss for many reasons other than being wrecked, biohazards/chemical, burn, damage history, hail, mechanical, undercharge, vandalism, theft recovery.

just thinking that car was wrecked because it was wrecked is simply wrong.

I bought my car from Copart, damage: Vandalism, a mechanic checked the car before the auction, it was scratches all over (we assumed it was done with a key), broken back windows and one broken side mirror, insurance company calculate the repair cost based on the OEM new parts and professional auto repair shops, for example, the new OEM back window price was $650 + taxs + plus shipping + installation cost, when you can replace it with aftermarket windows with insulation for $200.
the car had 2k miles, we checked the car, drive it in the yard.
i entered the auction and won the car, repaired the car, registered the car with rebuild title.
after using the car for few months that car started to have the problem.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:57 PM
jhn
I read it had sugar in the tank? Was that disclosed?

its not common to have spun bearing with that low of mileage. I have two of these cars with no issues like this.

I have taken these apart before and disassembly of the hub breaks the bearing. Did you replace the wheel bearing? Did the bearing break when you took it apart? The race gets stuck right where the damage is on your half shaft.

Did you get an alignment before purchase?

Old 09-28-2016, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by jhn
Why does this happen? This isn't the first vague post like this in internets history.
One moment while I checks my internets history.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:15 AM
Originally Posted by jhn
I read it had sugar in the tank? Was that disclosed?

its not common to have spun bearing with that low of mileage. I have two of these cars with no issues like this.

I have taken these apart before and disassembly of the hub breaks the bearing. Did you replace the wheel bearing? Did the bearing break when you took it apart? The race gets stuck right where the damage is on your half shaft.

Did you get an alignment before purchase?
dude, I already disclosed that story before.

First I never said sugar in the tank, I said someone tried to stuff sugar on the gas pipe, the gas pipe is too long (about 5-6 feet) with many curves, the sugar accumulated in the middle of the pipe.

Second no such damage can be dune because of sugar!

cars are simple, engine-transmission-drive shaft- wheel

the humming sound comes from the front driver side, most common cause is wheel bearing, for that we replaced the whole spindle, replacing the spindle does not involves in drive shaft removal, humming was still there, we put the old spindle back.
next step was to replace the drive shaft, and that's what we found.
we did put a new drive shaft and it didn't help, its the transmission, we think its the deferential part inside the cvt.

the car has a very good looking car, but to have a problem in a new car transmission is very disappointing.

this website sys that 8% of Honda fit 2015/16 problem are in the transmission.

Honda Fit Transmission Problems

Last edited by salamlaith; 09-29-2016 at 08:29 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by salamlaith
this website sys that 8% of Honda fit 2015/16 problem are in the transmission.

Honda Fit Transmission Problems
I've got over 30k on my 2015 and haven't had this issue. There are probably a lot of other members on here with more miles than that that can attest the same. I guess this is a chance you take when buying a "salvaged" vehicle with no warranty.

The website you linked to actually shows more people having issues with the MT, predominately noisy clutch pedals. Only one issue reported was CVT related.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:22 AM
jhn
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
I've got over 30k on my 2015 and haven't had this issue. There are probably a lot of other members on here with more miles than that that can attest the same. I guess this is a chance you take when buying a "salvaged" vehicle with no warranty.

The website you linked to actually shows more people having issues with the MT, predominately noisy clutch pedals. Only one issue reported was CVT related.
Me too. I have two close to this mileage. One I track and autocross and no issues. The other just heavy commuting. Nothing up to this point.

When I replaced the studs and added stiffer control arm bushings in my track car, I had to pull the hubs. This broke the bearings on both sides so I had to replace them. I inspected everything while it was apart - nothing. All looked good.

The case above is just freak wear and tear, or, seeing it is a salvage car, it's possible the car received damage that wasn't easily identifiable.

I'm sorry this is happening. But to judge an entire company on one salvage title vehicle, and then hop on Teh Internets and express your confirmation bias.

A duck floats on water. Wood floats on water. Therefore, all ducks are made of wood, right?

I hope it all works out for you.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:50 AM
5 Year Member
jhn: Here you lambast the guy for saying that he has an issue with his Fit and will never buy a Honda again, yet at the same time, you use the same logic by saying {well I have the same Fit and it has never had that problem} implying that just because your car is perfect, everyone's Fit should perform the same way yours does. And don't tag team with another guy's post who happens to agree with you, just to gang up on a guy who is having trouble with his car.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:58 AM
5 Year Member
If this was an issue that affected a large population of owners, there would be a a lot more reports and even possibly a recall/tsb issued. As it stands, this is the first report I've heard of it. HarryHoudini had over 100k on his in the first year of ownership and he made no mention of it.

This is coming from a guy who's had a lot of Q/C issues with his car and had two recalls done. So far the drivetrain has been trouble free, but only time and mileage will show how true that statement is. This is my first Honda, and not sure if I'd go with the brand again as I've spent more time at the dealership than I'd care to admit. Only ever owned Toyotas and more likely to return to that brand.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:23 AM
jhn
Originally Posted by BurntZ
jhn: Here you lambast the guy for saying that he has an issue with his Fit and will never buy a Honda again, yet at the same time, you use the same logic by saying {well I have the same Fit and it has never had that problem} implying that just because your car is perfect, everyone's Fit should perform the same way yours does. And don't tag team with another guy's post who happens to agree with you, just to gang up on a guy who is having trouble with his car.
I agree. I've only had my two about two years. My good experience doesn't mean "all Hondas are flawless". I was hoping that point was obvious but... Not so much.

But...

This it my 5th new Honda. One is 12 years old, 200k miles. Abused by teen drivers now. No issues.

It still doesn't mean "all Hondas are flawless".

Point here:

Guy buys Salvage car. No warranty.

Is it possible there are other underlying problems NOT related to manufacturing defect?

Isn't it reasonable to research an issue BEFORE concluding "one and done, never again" and then hop on Teh Internets and lambast an entire company based on an problem with so many variables?

I guess I don't understand how an opinion of an entire car company is based on the bad experience of one salvage title car.

Last edited by jhn; 09-29-2016 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:00 AM
jhn
Now as for help...

If it is tire buzzing or noise, most likely it will change pitch with variation in speed. If the noise is staying a constant pitch with varying speed, it doesn't seem like tire noise.

It looks like discoloration on the half shaft due to heat? Also, it looks like there is peen marks, or hammer marks on the shoulder of the journal.

These pictures generate more questions than answers.

Was the car repossessed?

The reason I'm asking is all of this damage was done by a spiteful person (people) for unknown reasons. If the owner knew repo was imminent, they could have inflicted damage deliberately for fraudulent reasons (insurance). Including "joyriding", which could have damaged the suspension?

Did you get an alignment before purchasing it?

This forum is probably not the best place to try to resolve this issue. There's no way to accurately diagnose the problem without actually seeing the car.

Is that the purpose of this post?

Last edited by jhn; 09-29-2016 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:36 AM
5 Year Member
So wait...the car has less than 36k miles? Doesn't that still mean it has the drivetrain warranty?

Old 09-29-2016, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shinjari
So wait...the car has less than 36k miles? Doesn't that still mean it has the drivetrain warranty?
Go back and read the thread. The OP said he bought the car used with a salvage title-no warranty.

Old 09-29-2016, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member
Hey, I feel sorry for the OP, and hope they resolve their problem(s).

But the original post, conveniently leaves out the fact that this is a salvaged titled vehicle, bought at auction.

Really, IMO if you buy a vehicle at auction, in that type of "gamble" situation, all bets are off.
There really is no way of knowing the abuse that vehicle might of been exposed to.
So to Blame Honda? Doesn't really seem fair.

This is ONE vehicle that was sold at salvage auction...so NOT indicative of the quality or experience I think most REALLY NEW Honda Fit owners experience.

Quick Reply: you need to see this!