3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

38k Miles - Broken A/C

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 06:01 PM
38k Miles - Broken A/C

Im hoping someone has run into this problem here and has a fix. Or at least what they did to try and fix it. Heres the symptoms.

Few months ago, the AC fans sometimes wouldnt turn on, but it would turn on if I played with the dials, like switching from defrost to front air, to feet.

Before it was weekly and then it became daily, but all were correctable by playing the dials. The most effective was to "slap" the ventillation from circulate to exterior air a few times.

As of yesterday, at 40k miles, just outside warranty, I cannot get the fans to engage.

Can anyone take a picture or show me where the physical fans are so I can maybe clean them? Ive been researching how to fix this, but all the info is for the older Fits.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:08 PM
5 Year Member
if it is intermittent and you can hit something to make it work, maybe look in that general area. remove the panel and look at the connector on the back. is it a push/pull cable like a bicycle or is an electrical connector? maybe something is stuck inside the cabin filter area.

also you say "AC fans" but those are two completely different things. there's the fans that blow air and there's the AC system.

Does air enter your car when you put it on exterior air when you're on the freeway?

Old 01-11-2017, 06:16 PM
Yes, air enters the car when I drive fast with the exterior air thing set to open. Another thing is that i can still hear the AC turn on when i press the button. Also, when I slap the vents from circulate and exterior, I have it set to the highest fan speed for it to kick in.

Im not too car savy, so not sure how to describe the fans. Basically its not blowing air at me when I turn the fan on, whether or not the AC button is on.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member
relay probably.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
Or possibly the fan switch.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:50 PM
5 Year Member
This might be a fairly simple repair. Because it happened just out of warranty doesn't necessarily mean Honda won't cover it, as they'd like to keep you as a customer and don't want you thinking that you'll be nickled and dimed forever on your Fit.

I'd take it into a Honda dealer and ask them to take a look. Best case scenario, they fix it for free. Next best, they split the repair cost with you. Worst case, they refuse to cover it, but you appeal with Honda corporate. If corporate still refuses to cover it, you go on a social media rant about not wanting any more Hondas after this experience with them. That might get them to change their mind in a hurry. A funny video accompanying your social media rant will work wonders here. Think United Breaks Guitars.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator
good luck trying that. out of warranty automatic "its a $150 Diagnosis fee"

Old 01-16-2017, 12:43 PM
5 Year Member
If the service writer wants a $150 diagnosis fee, that's the time I would decline service and call the factory rep and plead the case there. I'm having a hard time understanding how someone would discourage the OP from even trying to go through a dealership for a pretty obvious defect just out of warranty. Couldn't hurt to try, at least in my book, and you might actually get some help. YMMV.

Old 01-21-2017, 05:23 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
Or possibly the fan switch.
I'm thinking dis too..

the GK's fan switch feels like garbage too.. stiff and all. I would suspect the fan switch and open it, clean it using WD40. wipe the product off (I would blast the WD40 off with RC car motor spray) then apply some switch grease.

don't loose the detent ball