1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

problems with engine stuttering/cutting out

Old 07-10-2010, 04:15 PM
problems with engine stuttering/cutting out

hi everyone. not sure if this is the right place for this thread, if its not feel free to move it.

i have a 2008 fit, 40,000 miles or so on it. recently the engine has been stuttering, running pretty rough at intervals. at first i thought it was related to the a/c as it seemed to only do it with the a/c on, but now it does it regardless. it will fun fine for a bit then begin to run rough, like its trying to cut out. it does it worst when its in gear, not in park. its died 3 times today at stop signs. theres no check engine light or anything. i was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem, and any suggestions as to what it might be. its still under warranty, so its going to honda next week.

thanks guys

megan

Old 07-10-2010, 04:19 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
sounds like it could be coilpacks.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member
here u go miss megan. It's been covered and lots of people have had the same problem. DON'T go to the dealership there gonna charge you an arm and leg to get it diagnosed since ur already out of warranty.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...d-stutter.html

Just find out which cylinders coil packs are misfiring and replace those ones. U can get them from bernardiparts.com for pretty cheap. I had to replace 3 of mine at 45000 miles. Now i'm almost at 100,000 miles and there still running strong!

What i recommend doing is taking your car to pep boys. Tell them that you are having some kind of misfire in a couple of the cylinders. They will run a FREE check for you.. YES FREE! Just have them run the test and they will tell u "oh cylinder 1 and 2 are misfiring." After that, just take ur car home and order 2 coil packs. DO NOT let pep boys fix your car, they will replace the spark plugs only and charge u $50 and u will STILL have the same problem! It's not the spark plugs, it's the coil packs!

Old 07-11-2010, 12:53 AM
Koi
5 Year Member
Could be a vacuum leak if the car dies in gear at stop signs. Mine used to do that all the time until I fixed the leak.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by missmegan
hi everyone. not sure if this is the right place for this thread, if its not feel free to move it.

i have a 2008 fit, 40,000 miles or so on it. recently the engine has been stuttering, running pretty rough at intervals. at first i thought it was related to the a/c as it seemed to only do it with the a/c on, but now it does it regardless. it will fun fine for a bit then begin to run rough, like its trying to cut out. it does it worst when its in gear, not in park. its died 3 times today at stop signs. theres no check engine light or anything. i was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem, and any suggestions as to what it might be. its still under warranty, so its going to honda next week.

thanks guys

[megan

As stated the problem has been hashed at length.
Here's a synopsis:
1. regap the spark plugs to 045 to 050" instead of .055 and clean the plug electrodes; at 40k you may need new plugs anyway.
If that doesn't clear the problem of weak coil packs or over resistant plugs, then
2. install new plugs with reduced gap.
3. If that doesn't work you'll likely have to replace at least 1 coil pack.
They cost $75(& up at replacement parts stores or Majestic Honda in RI.)each so use an OBD code reader hopefully to see which one(s) are a problem. OBD testers are available at Advance Auto stores or Autozone for about $40. It won't be last time you need it.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:40 AM
I'd take it to a Honda dealer for diagnosis. (Assuming you're in the U.S.) The problem may be covered by either the Federal or your state's emissions warranty. If not, and if it's a known early-failure issue, I'd try to get some goodwill from Honda (go over your dealer's head if necessary) before I laid out a lot of money.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:05 PM
you are not along, I have waited 2 yrs for the engine light to come out to tell honda the problem was cause by engine misfire. You know what? they either said they can't find the problem for some even said that is normal for a engine was build to be save gas!
I just file a complaine to transport Canada anyway. good luck to you

Old 07-22-2010, 12:42 AM
ok if your talking about when your fit/jazz/aria sputter like its choking on something. well the coil packs that are on your car when you bought it are made by Denso. Denso told me that if your coil packs are bad then they will replace them because they are rated for 100,000 miles zero maintenance. I have 67,800 miles on my 2008 honda fit (jdm) and i drive my car rough and hard. i beat the crap out of it and when I had the same problem last week, I went to see a friend of mine that used to work for Honda R&D in Suzuka Japan, and he said its the spark plugs. so go to advanced discount auto parts, spend $40 and buy the Denso Iridium Performance plugs. they are like $8 a piece.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:43 AM
Just so everyone knows that the stock spark plugs on the 07-08 Honda GD is a Denso Iridium plug. The stock brakes are Ceramic. if you replace your old plugs with the same plug and the brakes too then it will fix your problem.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:08 AM
okay I just got my coil packs today its not oem but aftermarket... installed them myself it was easy diy... I also got ngk iradium plugs... with 93 octane. but anyways after the new coil pack was in. I turn the engine on and check engine was gone.. the stuttering stopped... I was shocked that it finally stopped yayyyy. mines started at 51 or 52ks miles. so another 50k miles I'll have to change it again. you don't need to get oem crap aftermarket coil packs do the job good to. ordered online from this website but forgot but got it with in 3 days I was like wow that was quick. anyways my fit drives smooth again and no more annoying check engine light YES!!!!!!

Old 03-28-2011, 03:45 PM
i had this issue before when i had about 100k on mine and the reason being is that the coilpack was bad. i replace 3 them and it fixed the problem. hope this helps.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:30 AM
problem :(

Ugh so FML I had this lil prob kinda felt like loss of power I have my 08 fit under construction after a lil accident but no motor damage just took out a/c condensor and radiator but been running like a champ till about month ago with a 40000 miner tune up. Well thought the fuel pump went out but was told maybe miss fire. Felt it start to loss power after 2000 rpm to 3000 after that stops. But even idling Hells that well haven't took it in yet going to in the next day so hope just miner any thoughts u guys???

Old 09-27-2011, 02:50 PM
Ok so I took a lot with an OBD scangauge but wasn't able to read. So I looked at the coil packs and a spark plug was lose felt it knock inside so tighten it and the chocking stopped going to take another drive see how runs kinda heard a lil knocking hope didn't ruin anything else.
Wish me luck

Old 09-28-2011, 02:06 PM
choking/sguttering

Ok I know u got to make money but why some ppl here all of a sudden add this then this then this look I love my car and Honda but no need to assume its the worst when might be just my coil pack
Well day three of choking/shutterin
I had gap the spark plugs to about .032 and still might now be injector or fuel filter FML
They try to say it might be value stuck 220 bucks

Old 09-28-2011, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shykid87
Ok I know u got to make money but why some ppl here all of a sudden add this then this then this look I love my car and Honda but no need to assume its the worst when might be just my coil pack
Well day three of choking/shutterin
I had gap the spark plugs to about .032 and still might now be injector or fuel filter FML
They try to say it might be value stuck 220 bucks

There are hundreds of responses, 90% cured it with new coilpaks and spark plugs.
In the old days we spent $15 for plugs and points, now its $215 and its most cars now, not just Honda. Welcome to the 'green' world.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by mahout
There are hundreds of responses, 90% cured it with new coilpaks and spark plugs.
In the old days we spent $15 for plugs and points, now its $215 and its most cars now, not just Honda. Welcome to the 'green' world.
ya now they say its the valve adjustment

Old 09-28-2011, 07:07 PM
It's still under warranty so just let the dealer fix it and your done. All it cost is the cost for diagnostic and it's just 70 dollars. I'm sure coilpacks cost way more especially if you need more than one. You might end up wasting money buying stuff you don't need checking if the problem was fixed.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by Rudy_GD3
It's still under warranty so just let the dealer fix it and your done. All it cost is the cost for diagnostic and it's just 70 dollars. I'm sure coilpacks cost way more especially if you need more than one. You might end up wasting money buying stuff you don't need checking if the problem was fixed.
Well everyone states have to change theses sooner or later so

Old 09-28-2011, 09:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shykid87
ya now they say its the valve adjustment

Insufficient valve clearance will contribute to poor running but the most likely cause is plugs and coil paks.
Buy an OPBDII checker at a local Autozone, AdvanceAutoParts etc even ebay and use it to see what your Fit says is wrong. This advice goes for every owner of a modern car; that $50 will save you a ton of aggravation and certainly will put shops on notice. It is easy to use, plugged into the OBD connector under the dash and follow directions.
Today the OBDII tester is the first tool for anyone to buy even if theyhave no intention of being a mechanic. Knowing whats wrong is far more important than being a good mechanic.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:58 PM
Yeah but not at 40,000 miles. My dealer told me I don't have to do anything to my car until 100,000 miles except change the oil every 5,000. No problems yet so anything else is under warranty so why not let them fix it with OEM parts instead of aftermarket? I've had my car for 4 years now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: problems with engine stuttering/cutting out