Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Handbrake and ABS warning lights are on after wheel bearing kit replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 11:48 PM
Handbrake and ABS warning lights are on after wheel bearing kit replacement

Hi, I need help with my handbrake and ABS warning lights...

A week ago, I had my wheel bearing kit replaced (2 at the rear). None of the sensors were touched. Only after leaving the shop did I notice that my handbrake and ABS warning lights are kept on. Everything, however, is working fine.

I returned the car to the shop a few days after. First, they checked the part if it was exactly the same as the original- OK. Then, they removed the battery terminals and left for 5 minutes, then reconnected the battery, and started the engine- but the warning lights remain lit.

I went home and checked the HTML service manual for honda jazz and found out that the ABS could display certain errors and these were associated with diagnostic trouble codes (DTC). And to reset the DTCs, I would need a Honda PGM tester or an SCS short connector.

I'm not sure if its safe for me to follow those instructions and I'm wondering if any out there can help with a simpler solution. (Going to the Honda dealer would be my last option).

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-05-2010, 12:03 AM
If I had to venture a guess...

When the caliper was removed, it was actually completely removed or had the line punctured, and the system was either not completely bled or worse yet may not be repaired.

The handbrake light is caused by low brake fluid in the reservoir.

The ABS light is particularly frightening as that may mean one of the brake channels won't keep pressure, indicating a leak. However it may simply be air in the line keeping the system from reaching spec pressure quickly enough during its initialization stage. This would be dangerous, however, as you'd likely not be able to perform an emergency stop, as the air's compressibility would keep you from applying enough pressure to get the brakes into a near-lock state.

Another possibility is that Honda has for a while put the ABS trigger magnets into the wheel bearing itself. The sensor will go into the hub, and if you press out the bearing while the sensor is still in there... cracko. Found the results of this incompetence on a CR-V once.

Top off the reservoir with the proper brake fluid type (I think its DOT3, it says on the cap), then apply brakes a few times and check for leaks/spots on the ground. Bleed the brakes, and depending on the results after that, carefully drive/tow to get fixed.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by polaski
Another possibility is that Honda has for a while put the ABS trigger magnets into the wheel bearing itself. .
I'm familiar with that, If the rear wheel bearings were put into the assembly BACKWARDS the ABS sensors will not read them.

BTW you may think the brakes work OK, but the ABS will never operate if the warning light is on...

Bring the car back to the shop who did the work, tell them to ask a dealer if they don't understand. Our CRV shop manual is quite clear about how the wheel bearings need to be oriented.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:07 PM
That makes sense. I never got to get down to the bearing, I just found the sensor was busted apart.

Either way... ^^^ return to the shop, this was shoddy work and they should fix it on their dime!