Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

'15 Fit CVT fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 10:10 AM
5 Year Member
'15 Fit CVT fluid change

End of year one just rolled around and I did my routine year one maintenance. I changed all the fluids as part of that process.

The CVT takes Honda HCF-2 ATF specially formulated for the CVT. It's unlike any ATF I've ever seen -- engine oil in color but about the viscosity of water when draining warm. And the smell is entirely different from traditional red ATF or engine oil or rear end lube. DO NOT try to use a traditional ATF in the CVT --- problems will ensue.

The dealership seemed to have no idea how much fluid was required -- which didn't surprise me. But given the diminutive stature of the car and the other fluid requirements, I bought 4 qts.

Pull the bottom splash shield off. Drain plug is on the (US) driver's side. There's a fill port in the top of the transmission, and a "full" port on the side of the transmission. You can see the "full" port if you look down under the hood between the radiator and the side of the tranny. I didn't bother using the fill port. I simply removed the "full" plug, inserted a length of clear plastic tubing attached to a small funnel. Dealer has the crush washers for both the drain plug and the "full" plug. I carefully measured what came out -- allowed about 15 minutes for a full drain.

I measured between 3.5 and 3.6 qts of drained fluid. And, sure enough, just as I went past 3.5 qts. on the refill, the fluid started to drain back out of the "full" plug. Be sure to loosen the "full" plug before you start draining -- nice to know you can refill BEFORE you drain.

All in all, one of the easiest fluid replacements I've done. Of course, there is more fluid in the torque converter -- but you get the majority of it out of the sump. And an annual change of that fluid will assure long life of the CVT.

And, it ain't cheap -- about $11/qt. Suppose other alternatives will become available over time, but while in warranty, I'll use the Honda supplied product just to remove that as a potential problem variable.

FWIW - did brake flush, coolant drain/refill and it was time for an oil change. Just love working on this car -- everything, so far, is easy.

Old 09-13-2015, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the heads up on the HCF-2. Our Fit just turned 1 year as well and I'm pretty bad as a DIYer.

Old 09-13-2015, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
Why are you doing all these changes? Other than oil change none of the others are required for a few year.