3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

CVT Fluid Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
CVT Fluid Replacement

Have any of you replaced the CVT fluid yet? I don't see a mileage recommendation in the manual. Does something appear on the dash telling the driver that it's time for a change? I prefer to change it sooner rather than later.

Also, is there an alternative to the Honda HCF-2? The cheapest I could find was $99 for 12 quarts, from Amazon.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
This thread got moved, so you probably missed it. It addresses CVT fluid. Apparently the unit is sealed.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...15-lx-cvt.html

Old 06-12-2015, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by exl500
This thread got moved, so you probably missed it. It addresses CVT fluid. Apparently the unit is sealed.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...15-lx-cvt.html
Thanks for the heads-up.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
Have any of you replaced the CVT fluid yet? I don't see a mileage recommendation in the manual. Does something appear on the dash telling the driver that it's time for a change? I prefer to change it sooner rather than later.

Also, is there an alternative to the Honda HCF-2? The cheapest I could find was $99 for 12 quarts, from Amazon.
I topped off my coolant with Zerex Asian Formula in matching blue. It is p-HOAT coolant, the same chemistry as the Honda coolant. Even though both Valvoline and Castrol have fluid that they insist is suitable, for the CVT fluid I would stick to the Honda branded HCF-2 fluid. They each cost about 1/2 as much, but...

Here is Castrol's disclaimer...
This data sheet and the information it contains is believed to be accurate as of the date of printing. However, no warranty or representation, express or implied, is made as to its accuracy or completeness. Data provided is based on standard tests under laboratory conditions and is given as a guide only. Users are advised to ensure that they refer to the latest version of this data sheet. It is the responsibility of the user to evaluate and use products safely, to assess suitability for the intended application and to comply with all applicable laws and regulations. Material Safety Data Sheets are available for all our products and should be consulted for appropriate information regarding storage, safe handling, and disposal of the product. No responsibility is taken by either BP plc or its subsidiaries for any damage or injury resulting from abnormal use of the material, from any failure to adhere to recommendations, or from hazards inherent in the nature of the material. All products, services and information supplied are provided under our standard conditions of sale. You should consult our local representative if you require any further information.

Last edited by nomenclator; 09-03-2019 at 10:21 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nomenclator
I topped off my coolant with Zerex Asian Formula in matching blue. It is p-HOAT coolant, the same chemistry as the Honda coolant. Even though both Valvoline and Castrol have fluid that they insist is suitable, for the CVT fluid I would stick to the Honda branded HCF-2 fluid. They each cost about 1/2 as much, but...
Definitely. I've changed the CVT fluid on two Fits, using the Honda product. The CVT is too important to take chances with by saving money. It's not like you're changing it every month. Doing it yourself makes up for the increased cost since you're not paying Honda to do it.