Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Ravenol Synthetic CVT Fluid is Magical!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 05:49 PM
Talking Ravenol Synthetic CVT Fluid is Magical!

Hello all, long-time reader, first time poster. I have a 2004.5 JDM spec 1.3L i-DSi fit with a CVT. I bought this car in '06 in Japan with 10k clicks on the clock. Since day one I have had issues with the dreaded start-up shudder inside of the CVT. I had the CVT fluid changed by Honda here in Germany, but it didn't completely solve the problem, and it soon worsened to the degree that is was prior to the change. I recently took the car back to the same Honda dealer, and overheard with my poor German skills the tech telling the cashier that he was going to use ATF-Z1 in the automatic transmission. I corrected him and informed him that it was a CVT. He told me that he looked at the car and that it was an automatic. I called and cancelled my appointment the next day. I found a company online named Ravenol that makes and sells a synthetic CVT fluid here in Germany. It is spec'd to all CVT's, and has Honda on the spec sheet. I ordered the product (45 Euros for 5 liters), and waited for the DHL van. Today, I changed out the 3.2+ liters of ATF-Z1 with the syn CVT fluid and the difference is like night and day. There is no hint of any vibration, even with mashing the pedal from a dead start. I am very impressed and pleased. I did do the on-road CVT calibration IAW the tech manual, and that seemed to help as well. It is scary to think that trained and certified Honda technicians don't have a clue. If you can get the Ravenol product in your country, I highly recommend it, as it seems to be the truth.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:52 PM
I am curious to see if my fuel economy improves as well. I would surmise as much due to the more efficient transfer of energy. My car gets averages 52 US MPG when I drive it to and from work at 80kmph (50 MPH) average. I think it is a freak Fit with those good economy numbers, but who knows, maybe with the new fluid I can top it.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:38 AM
Anyone use other CVT fluids than the HONDA CVTF ? Please share results.

I wrote to HONDA Japan. They replied me saying my 'HONDA' is pararell importer, cannot
help much.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member
Wouldn't advise to pour Rovenol, CVTF it and cheaper is better and it is HONDA.