Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

MP3 Player that plugs into CD changer socket

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
MP3 Player that plugs into CD changer socket

Has anyone tried one of the chinese mp3/SD card/aux plug boxes available on ebay? Here's one as an example:
eBay Motors: MP3 Car player for HONDA-Accord,Civic,FRV,Fit,City (item 260226076571 end time Apr-05-08 22:11:53 PDT)

I like being able to just plug it into the stereo but does it work on the US Fits? Is the sound any good? Is the install easy (I'm hoping it will just plug in the back by reaching up through the air controls and not require removing the entire head unit)? Does it disable the existing single CD unit? And it's cheap!!

Thanks RG

Old 04-06-2008, 12:39 AM
My Lips Bigger!
5 Year Member
considering its 10 dollars
and shipping is 70
ill pass lol

Old 04-06-2008, 03:03 AM
Looks very cheap and low quality. Also you only get track# and folder# on the display no text or other info. USA spec sells an aux in adapter tha goes through the CD changer control that works really well.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:19 AM
5 Year Member
The ones on USA Spec don't support Honda (their multi input stuff)

the Ipod one does, but the adapter here is for a USB drive/thumb drive with decent amount of support.

Better than most things here. I prefer what I have on my aftermarket setup, and for Ipods, it's better to get OEM or USA Spec.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by billmus86
considering its 10 dollars
and shipping is 70
ill pass lol
Yeah, I noticed that after I posted it. A common ploy - offer the item cheap and charge ridiculous shipping. Still, for $80 it isn't bad, just not cheap. Especially if the install required a lot less work than hooking up the stock aux port.

Old 04-19-2008, 12:19 AM
I found that one, too. Actually it has the features I am looking for. Is there an alternative somewhere which supports USB, SD and AUX? Anyone knows?

Oh, and Hi! by the way

Old 04-19-2008, 06:21 AM
5 Year Member
Well, I'm taking one for the team here - I just ordered one off of ebay. I pulled my glove box, vent and underdash cover to see if I could access the back of the radio without pulling it. It looks like it is doable, just barely. I expect the unit to arrive within a week. I'll post pics and experiences once it arrives.

Old 04-19-2008, 12:40 PM
Great! I can't wait to read how it works...

...by the way, the shipment might take a while, as far as I read in comments, hope you are right with one week....

Old 04-21-2008, 10:58 AM
Hey,

Using this thread for a specific question: I am trying to install an AUX jack in my fit, but I have serious trouble taking the middle console out. I unscrewed all 3 screws and read the manual for installing musiclink, but the console wont move and I am afraid to use more force...any hints how to get this thing moving? Thanks!

Old 04-21-2008, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
See the thread at the top if this forum titled something like "Sticky: DIY Aux jack on base fit". It has a link to the instructions. Another source can be found here:

http://www.jayhondaaccessories.com/A...sic%20Link.pdf

Old 04-25-2008, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
Item has shipped. It's sitting in Beijing according to the EMS listing. Should come over some time next week - I'm hoping. Will provide a detailed write-up once it comes in. RG

Old 04-25-2008, 08:45 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Rob22315
Item has shipped. It's sitting in Beijing according to the EMS listing. Should come over some time next week - I'm hoping. Will provide a detailed write-up once it comes in. RG
Hey Rob-
This may be "old news" in your search for a solution to your problem, but maybe not. I just got back from a long road trip and finally got sick and tired of carrying a bunch of CD's around in my car, and trying to change out CD's in traffic. I have resisted the trend towards MP3 players because of design flaws that I see (maybe no one else does) in the various Ipod models.

So, I ordered, on eBay, an "iRiver Clix" multi-media player that C-Net rated higher than Ipods for function and sound quality. Also ordered direct from iRiver their car charger/FM Stereo transmitter. I will transfer my CD's to the "Clix", and download songs from Itunes, and other sources instead of buying more CD's. The charger/FM transmitter plays the digital music through any FM radio channel that you choose, while running the player on 12 volt current from the car.

Good luck with the Chinese stuff that you ordered- I hope that it serves your purpose.

I'm an "old dude" just catching up with the Ipod trend. Used to be a vendor to Steve Jobs and didn't like him much. Don't like the Ipod's non- replaceable battery, so have stayed away from this type of music storage until now. Now, what should I do with all of the interior space that my CD's used to take up?

Old 04-25-2008, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the ideas, sounds like you have a Sport. On my Base, I don't have any stock MP3 or Aux capability. This unit was a not-so-cheap way to get both without having to pull the stereo. The advantage with this unit is it's an MP3 player on it's own - I don't need an iPod or Rio etc. to play mp3's. I can put the files on a USB thumb drive or an SD card. If the folders/files are properly set up, the stereo thinks it a CD changer but without the CDs. The two risks are - I won't be able to squeeze the cable in without pulling the stereo, and it won't work/last.

I figure since I've already had such a good Fit experience on this forum, I'd risk the $100, try it, and post my experiences as a way of giving back.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:26 PM
Banned
Thanks for the ideas, sounds like you have a Sport. On my Base, I don't have any stock MP3 or Aux capability. This unit was a not-so-cheap way to get both without having to pull the stereo. The advantage with this unit is it's an MP3 player on it's own - I don't need an iPod or Rio etc. to play mp3's. I can put the files on a USB thumb drive or an SD card. If the folders/files are properly set up, the stereo thinks it a CD changer but without the CDs. The two risks are - I won't be able to squeeze the cable in without pulling the stereo, and it won't work/last.

I figure since I've already had such a good Fit experience on this forum, I'd risk the $100, try it, and post my experiences as a way of giving back.
Yeah, I figured that you had a Base model, and didn't realize that you were trying to use a "thumb" drive for the storage/playback. Again, good luck- I hope that your eBay thing works out. If it doesn't, keep the "iRiver Clix" and its charger/transmitter in mind. You do have a 12 volt power outlet in the Base, so this system will work without having to connect any cables to the head unit. I am looking forward to reading your review of the adaptor that you ordered.

Last edited by manxman; 04-25-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
Yeah, I figured that you had a Base model, and didn't realize that you were trying to use a "thumb" drive for the storage/playback. Again, good luck- I hope that your eBay thing works out. If it doesn't, keep the "iRiver Clix" and its charger/transmitter in mind. You do have a 12 volt power outlet in the Base, so this system will work without having to connect any cables to the head unit. I am looking forward to reading your review of the adaptor that you ordered.
FYI Dave there is replaceable batteries (cheaper then what Apple offers)

As for sound quality IMO nothing can beat vinyl, it just that it rather inconvenience to have vs the harddrives. If you want to suck out as much quality from any mp3 players you want to use "direct plug-in" vs any wireless transmitter. (Yes I am not a fan of wireless stuff, unless it the remote or the phone )

Old 04-26-2008, 04:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Slimjimx701x
If you want to suck out as much quality from any mp3 players you want to use "direct plug-in" vs any wireless transmitter. (Yes I am not a fan of wireless stuff, unless it the remote or the phone )
Yeah, I tried wireless when portable CD players first came out and didn't care for it on stereo systems.

While waiting for my ship to come in . . . here's some idle chatter on my thinking. While I like DIY projects, there were too many horror stories with people pulling head units (dashboard damage, lost or broken clips etc.) that I wanted to try another way first. The options for adding Aux/MP3 capability to a base fit are:

1. Replace Base HU with Sport HU or aftermarket HU (min $50 for used Sport HU)
2. Add AUX port to Base HU and use my Rio MP3 player ($50 per the writeup on this forum)
3. Use the CD changer port to add another device. ($60-100, I paid $100)

1&2 require pulling the HU. 3 appears to only require pullling the passenger side cover, vent, and glove box so time wise we're talking 15 min vs at least an hour. Also, I have no plans to upgrade the stereo since this is my DD. (I went top option on the minivan, yeah I'm someone's Dad, 2 someones to be exact.)

I pulled the cover/vent/glovebox just to see if there was room to access the connector. The CD changer connector on the stock HU is located on the side closest to the glovebox. It is the second connector in, the antenna is the first one. The write-up on installing the Aux port has some great pictures of the configuration of the back of the HU. There are two openings in the dashboard frame close to the back of the stereo. I can just wiggle my fingers through the upper opening and reach the CD changer connector. My strategy is to put the cable up through the lower opening and push the connector on by reaching through the upper opening. I'll post pictures after I do it.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:17 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Slimjimx701x
FYI Dave there is replaceable batteries (cheaper then what Apple offers)

As for sound quality IMO nothing can beat vinyl, it just that it rather inconvenience to have vs the harddrives. If you want to suck out as much quality from any mp3 players you want to use "direct plug-in" vs any wireless transmitter. (Yes I am not a fan of wireless stuff, unless it the remote or the phone )
Thanks Jim-
If the transmitter is not satisfactory, I will use an adapter cord for the earphone output of the device and plug it into the console jack.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:01 PM
I've just ordered the same mp3 player, I'm really interested in your installation idea.

I just hope that the Base HU on my canadian Fit LX 08 have the same cd changer port.

I have the HU that have separate AM and FM button... and no Disp button (like with the Sport model...)
Is your base HU similar to mine?

Please give us updates!

Old 04-29-2008, 10:29 PM
5 Year Member
The unit arrived today - and I'm on travel of course. I return tomorrow evening so I'll install it when I get home or first thing tomorrow AM. I'll take pictures of the install and post how it turns out.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:30 PM
Banned
The unit arrived today - and I'm on travel of course. I return tomorrow evening so I'll install it when I get home or first thing tomorrow AM. I'll take pictures of the install and post how it turns out.
I'm looking forward to your next post. However, my "problem" is solved. With my Sport head unit, and being new to MP3 players, I discovered that any MP3 with a 1/8"/3.5 mm patch cord plugged into the auxilliary jack will work, not just Ipods. So I don't need an FM transmitter- the patch cord works fine with no static as you would expect. For base model owners without the AUX jack, you can buy an FM Modulator from Crutchfield that installs between the head unit and the plug from the stock antenna. It gives you a female connection that uses the same 1/8"/3.5 mm "earphone" output from Ipods or other MP3's to connect to the head unit, and sends your music through a selectable FM frequency without static. It works just like the FM modulators supplied with add-on CD changers.

Last edited by manxman; 04-29-2008 at 11:33 PM.

Quick Reply: MP3 Player that plugs into CD changer socket