Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Has anyone changed their blinkers to parking lights?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 10:23 PM
Has anyone changed their blinkers to parking lights?

I was wondering if anyone has changed their parking lights to their blinkers and if they can give a short DIY. I tried searching but couldn't find a thread.

Thanks in advance for help

Old 03-24-2009, 10:47 AM
5 Year Member
Unless you get a brighter bulb, it won't work safely. The parking lights only run at 5W (194 bulbs), the blinkers are 21W (7440/7443). Just swaping the wires is not enough, the bulb sockets are different too.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:17 AM
5 Year Member
That doesn't sound like a safe thing to do. Especially during the day, other drivers probably won't be able to see the blinkers.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:23 PM
Sorry for digging up an old post, but I'm also interested in this topic.

What I want to do is wire the parking lights with the blinkers so that both blink when I use the turn signals. I don't care whether they blink alternately or simultaneously. However, I do want to keep the parking light function. I have high-power LEDs for parking bulbs so brightness shouldn't be an issue.

For example:
1) Headlights off - both turn signal and parking light blink
2) Headlights on (not using turn signal) - parking light stays on
3) Headlights on (using turn signal) - parking light blinks with turn signal

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 10-18-2014, 01:37 AM
5 Year Member
Cutting the wires increases the risk of short circuit/fire. Devalues the car (might be hard to sell later). Cutting into the original wiring most likely will reduce the durability of those circuits so they might eventually corrode and malfunction, adding headache, inconvenience, and potentially affecting safety.

Why again do you want to wire the parking lights to work with the blinkers?
Is it for "practical" reasons or you just like the "look"? Mostly you can't even see it from the inside anyway. So is it more of an idea or to impress others? I think OEM turn signals are bright enough.

Good luck with getting what you want though.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:05 AM
5 Year Member
Attack the mirrors instead. I added the arrows behind the glass and changed the covers to winkers.

Name:  005-11.jpg
Views: 4008
Size:  36.4 KB

Name:  002-9.jpg
Views: 4046
Size:  27.0 KB

Old 10-18-2014, 09:24 AM
I want the parking lights to blink so that drivers next to me (too close to not see my back blinkers, but not far enough ahead to see my front blinkers) can see my turn signals.

The winkers with the LED arrows are nice. Unfortunately, I currently don't have the money right now to get them. But it is on my list of mods

Old 10-18-2014, 10:06 AM
5 Year Member
If driver next to you cannot see your rear or front why would you be turning into him?

The arrows are about $10 or maybe less on Ebay.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:44 AM
It's not that I'm turning into him, it's just so that they can see that I want to change lanes.

I'll take a look into the arrows.

Old 12-14-2014, 02:35 AM
Originally Posted by john21031
Cutting the wires increases the risk of short circuit/fire. Devalues the car (might be hard to sell later). Cutting into the original wiring most likely will reduce the durability of those circuits so they might eventually corrode and malfunction, adding headache, inconvenience, and potentially affecting safety.

Why again do you want to wire the parking lights to work with the blinkers?
Is it for "practical" reasons or you just like the "look"? Mostly you can't even see it from the inside anyway. So is it more of an idea or to impress others? I think OEM turn signals are bright enough.

Good luck with getting what you want though.
I have my Fit for for 2 months. For this time I have visited this Forum hundreds of time trying to find good ideas, solutions. Did I find much? Nop. I have figure out that many of FitFreak members are really freaks who are either searching or sharing crazy ideas just for show-up to others. Fit is made by idiots and for idiots, it is not racing car that many add some stuff to show to others they have a racing car. My old Yaris has 1.5L engine, MPG is 40 compare to my newly bought Fit with barely 30 MPG, plus a dozen other pros compare to Fit, which has one "pro" - making a lot of noise inside and outside. Well, no time for this. Back to the topic. This man that wants to use front parking lights as addition to turn lights has brilliant idea, which is not for show but for safety of him and other drivers around. I do electrical modification to cars for years, and I could share them with those who are interested. Just one story, and the same topic. Many years ago I had Geo Metro which had its turn signal lights so low on bumper that many drivers could not noticed if used them. With my mod front parking light appropriated to a turn could flash alternately with original turn lights and at full brightness (21W). Effect was perfect no matter if parking lights were ON at the same time, and when parking light was ON without turn signal ON its brightness was as original parking (5W). Nice and very visible turn signal to others, no matter where they are - far or close beside or at front. When I got this Fit turn signal improvement was first on my list which has other ideas about the use of energy wasteful non-timed rear window defogger; use of climate control with setting of air flow to windshield and running A/C at the same time while using this car with Alberta weather; use of noisy and energy wasteful radiator fans when A/C is ON; use of fog lights when headlights is ON which is absurd if you use when they are really needed: when there is fog (using fog lights when headlights is ON make them useless because headlight reflecting blinds you and fog light will not help you much - need to turn headlights OFF. Plus, real fog lights are only yellow lamps, not white and for sure not bluish (idiots are those who use bright blue lights to blind others and not to have improvements for them self, and idiots are cops that do not care about this).
Idea is good to make improvement on turn signal lights. I'm done with that, and can share with others interested in this. Well, compare to other cars that I have or had it is the most difficult one. My statement in the beginning was truthful who and for who Fit is made. Just open the hood and ask yourself why the engine is mounted partially under windshield when there is plenty room between front bumper and radiator (to have spark plugs accessed you have to take apart "half of the car". Ya, to do changes to wiring on mentioned circuit you have to have access to not only the front of the fuse/relay box but also to the back of the box, remove all tight connectors, remove the box, find the appropriate wires close to connectors according to el.diagram, make necessary splices on tiny wires, be very very careful while handling all these stuff specially with the connector M which has most of the wires needed, but it is on the back and has tiny wires and pins which can be easily damaged. And of course you have to have knowledge to solder small "module" with couple tiny relays, 4 blocking diodes and insert this "module" into small (2"x1"x1" or so) box, probably bought at Radio Shack store. And of course be ready to be laying down on the car floor twisted for hours. Patience, patience and patience...
KERED 424, if you are ready to accomplish this task let me know.
By the way, you have shared about the use of high power LED for parking lights. What is the power output, does it fit good into socket, what is the lamp number. Thank you in advance. Adding arrows to mirrors to have add turn signal? I would like to know more, hopefully this involves less time and may be even looks better.

Last edited by Mr. Alex; 12-14-2014 at 02:55 AM.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Mr. Alex
Nop. I have figure out that many of FitFreak members are really freaks who are either searching or sharing crazy ideas just for show-up to others. Fit is made by idiots and for idiots, it is not racing car that many add some stuff to show to others they have a racing car.
Welcome to the Idiot Forum!

Old 12-16-2014, 02:45 PM
gym
Daniel Stern has some diagrams for this, and North America US market does not require side markers to flash with blinkers there for auto makers do not do it... Any way cut the ground wire from side marker and tap it into blinker power wire... Parking light will still work and now flashes with blinker in a opposite phase.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:41 PM
this is what I was looking at doing this summer

Old 12-22-2014, 12:11 AM
Originally Posted by kered424
I have high-power LEDs for parking bulbs so brightness shouldn't be an issue.
Hi Kered424. I would like to know more about high-power LEDs for front parking lights that you have those. Are they OK: fit the light enclosure and bright enough? Where did you get them, for how much? I have searched everywhere, and mostly people do complain about either size, or brightness, or heat dissipation... Would appreciate any good news.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:45 PM
s0x
5 Year Member
Hi Kered424. I would like to know more about high-power LEDs for front parking lights that you have those. Are they OK: fit the light enclosure and bright enough? Where did you get them, for how much? I have searched everywhere, and mostly people do complain about either size, or brightness, or heat dissipation... Would appreciate any good news.
You should probably log into yaris world and ask someone there. I would give you the answers and a great place to buy them with lifetime no questions asked warranties but I'm to busy turning my race car into a rocket ship...

Old 12-22-2014, 04:56 PM
s0x
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2poler
Honda Fit / Jazz Switch Back LED Turn Signals - YouTube this is what I was looking at doing this summer
whats the point of doing this? The light doesn't stay on as a drl does it? ON gd it doesn't maybe on ge it does?

Old 12-24-2014, 05:18 PM
I have done something similar on my 2007 base after getting the idea from luismycorreo's GE switchbacks. See my video here:
http://youtu.be/67OsGFb_cMU
I also have a 2012 Civic Si and just bought some UAE OEM projectors which have the function that I think the OP was going after. When the Civic headlights are off the inner turn signal and the outer turn signal blink together. When the headlights are on the turn signals wig-wag (i.e. inner goes on then off and the outer turn signal goes on the off and repeats). I have been thinking about wiring my GD switchback turn signal in a similar fashion, but know not how to do it. I want to keep the switchbacks in the turn signal socket, but somehow wire the position light (the one at the top of the headlight assembly) so that they wig-wag. When the turn signal is on the switchback switches to yellow and illuminates then goes off and the position light goes on the goes off. When the turn signal is off the switchback is DRL white. When the lights are on the turn signals could either wig-wag or illuminate together - I'm not picky.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:35 PM
Hey, sorry for the late response. I've been busy lately. I currently use ones that look like the ones below. They can be easily found on ebay for around $5-$10 if you search for "t10 cree yellow".

I have no complaints with these bulbs. They look much longer than the OEM parking bulbs, but they do fit. They're also much brighter. I just took some pics.
Name:  Aw6qT1p.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  291.9 KB

Name:  JAag5ZJ.jpg
Views: 917
Size:  240.1 KB

Sorry about the bad quality on the second pic. They parking lights are actually much brighter than that. The camera couldn't adjust due to the brightness of my headlights.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:42 PM
I have my Fit for for 2 months. For this time I have visited this Forum hundreds of time trying to find good ideas, solutions. Did I find much? Nop. I have figure out that many of FitFreak members are really freaks who are either searching or sharing crazy ideas just for show-up to others. Fit is made by idiots and for idiots, it is not racing car that many add some stuff to show to others they have a racing car. My old Yaris has 1.5L engine, MPG is 40 compare to my newly bought Fit with barely 30 MPG, plus a dozen other pros compare to Fit, which has one "pro" - making a lot of noise inside and outside. Well, no time for this. Back to the topic. This man that wants to use front parking lights as addition to turn lights has brilliant idea, which is not for show but for safety of him and other drivers around. I do electrical modification to cars for years, and I could share them with those who are interested. Just one story, and the same topic. Many years ago I had Geo Metro which had its turn signal lights so low on bumper that many drivers could not noticed if used them. With my mod front parking light appropriated to a turn could flash alternately with original turn lights and at full brightness (21W). Effect was perfect no matter if parking lights were ON at the same time, and when parking light was ON without turn signal ON its brightness was as original parking (5W). Nice and very visible turn signal to others, no matter where they are - far or close beside or at front. When I got this Fit turn signal improvement was first on my list which has other ideas about the use of energy wasteful non-timed rear window defogger; use of climate control with setting of air flow to windshield and running A/C at the same time while using this car with Alberta weather; use of noisy and energy wasteful radiator fans when A/C is ON; use of fog lights when headlights is ON which is absurd if you use when they are really needed: when there is fog (using fog lights when headlights is ON make them useless because headlight reflecting blinds you and fog light will not help you much - need to turn headlights OFF. Plus, real fog lights are only yellow lamps, not white and for sure not bluish (idiots are those who use bright blue lights to blind others and not to have improvements for them self, and idiots are cops that do not care about this).
Idea is good to make improvement on turn signal lights. I'm done with that, and can share with others interested in this. Well, compare to other cars that I have or had it is the most difficult one. My statement in the beginning was truthful who and for who Fit is made. Just open the hood and ask yourself why the engine is mounted partially under windshield when there is plenty room between front bumper and radiator (to have spark plugs accessed you have to take apart "half of the car". Ya, to do changes to wiring on mentioned circuit you have to have access to not only the front of the fuse/relay box but also to the back of the box, remove all tight connectors, remove the box, find the appropriate wires close to connectors according to el.diagram, make necessary splices on tiny wires, be very very careful while handling all these stuff specially with the connector M which has most of the wires needed, but it is on the back and has tiny wires and pins which can be easily damaged. And of course you have to have knowledge to solder small "module" with couple tiny relays, 4 blocking diodes and insert this "module" into small (2"x1"x1" or so) box, probably bought at Radio Shack store. And of course be ready to be laying down on the car floor twisted for hours. Patience, patience and patience...
KERED 424, if you are ready to accomplish this task let me know.
By the way, you have shared about the use of high power LED for parking lights. What is the power output, does it fit good into socket, what is the lamp number. Thank you in advance. Adding arrows to mirrors to have add turn signal? I would like to know more, hopefully this involves less time and may be even looks better.
Hey, thanks for understanding where I'm coming from. I should have some time in a few weeks to work on my car. If you leave me with some instructions, I'll let you know how it turns out after I've completed the project.

As for the parking bulbs, I've posted pictures my previous post. You can find them on ebay if you search for "t10 cree yellow". They're inexpensive, around $5-10 for a pair depending on what kind you want. They fit well, haven't had any problems with them. I'm not sure how much heat it produces, but not enough to burn them out or cause any melting because I've driven at night for several hours before, and they worked like a champ.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:03 PM
[QUOTE=kered424;1288447]Hey, thanks for understanding where I'm coming from. I should have some time in a few weeks to work on my car. If you leave me with some instructions, I'll let you know how it turns out after I've completed the project.

As for the parking bulbs, I've posted pictures my previous post. You can find them on ebay if you search for "t10 cree yellow". They're inexpensive, around $5-10 for a pair depending on what kind you want. They fit well, haven't had any problems with them. I'm not sure how much heat it produces, but not enough to burn them out or cause any melting because I've driven at night for several hours before, and they worked like a champ.[/QUOTE

Thank you for the info: I'm going to find the bulbs to complete what I have done.(As for a mirrow arrows I would not install them because at the corners of the mirrows I have nice looking small 3" in diameter mirrows to eliminate the dead spots; I do install them on every car I ever had). As for the instructions for parking-to-turn signal mod project give me at least few days to find couple hours or so to have pictures ready and to prepare a text. Let me know if you have Electrical circuit and connectors diagrams. By the way what year is your Fit? Well, 2009-12 "electrically" are the same, not sure about some details...

Last edited by Mr. Alex; 01-22-2015 at 10:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Has anyone changed their blinkers to parking lights?