Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Question. Viper Remote Start Vs Original Alarm ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 02:16 PM
Question. Viper Remote Start Vs Original Alarm ?

Hello everyone, fist of all, sorry for my english.

Im from Brazil and i have one question, Viper Remote Start Works with any car alarm, or only with viper car alarm ? If not, Anyone know any good remote start that work with any car alarm ?

I need it because my car stays in the sun all day, and i want start the car before i get in.

PS: My car alarm is Positron.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
You can get an aftermarket remote start that will work with the factory, though sometimes the install can be tricky. I would look into a replacement piece that is a remote start as well as an alarm.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by lashlee
You can get an aftermarket remote start that will work with the factory, though sometimes the install can be tricky. I would look into a replacement piece that is a remote start as well as an alarm.
You know any aftermerket remote start ? I look some in Amazon, but i dont know any that can be installed in my alarm.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:00 AM
5 Year Member
There are too many to list but I would look for a local shop that can help you out with the install and selection of the equipment. I've been installing for going on 20 years and wouldn't recommend on taking on an install of a remote start without some experience. The local shop should be able to point you in the right direction on a setup that will work with the OEM alarm.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:15 PM
There are too many to list but I would look for a local shop that can help you out with the install and selection of the equipment. I've been installing for going on 20 years and wouldn't recommend on taking on an install of a remote start without some experience. The local shop should be able to point you in the right direction on a setup that will work with the OEM alarm.
That is the big problem, I have never seen any local shop selling this. I never seen remote start in Brazil. So I'm looking for it in "Amazon", to install here. My my father is there in Miami, so it becomes easier to buy there.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:28 PM
get viper but i wouldnt et a remote start , mess up your car in the long run

Old 10-26-2011, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
I don't know about messing up the car in the long run, as long as the install was sound from the beginning. My accord is a 98 and has had a remote start on it since early 99 with no problems. The install is usually to blame.

As for the OP, I can't really recommend anything without any reassurance that you can install it. A remote start can be very daunting and unless you can find someone local to help you I can't really say one will be better or worse.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:07 PM
last resort Bestbuy sell it ha

Old 10-26-2011, 06:02 PM
5 Year Member
Since he is in Brazil I don't think that will be a possibility.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:40 AM
Changing a little the subject of the topic, Anyone know how to change my alarm sound ? to be more specific, if there is any horn 5v ? I want this sound. Just the horn 5v. Where can i buy this ? The sound of car alarm here is hugly.

Viper 5901 Car Alarm - YouTube

Old 10-29-2011, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
I've seen some pimp'd out Fits as well as other cars from Brazil on some forums.. you saying that you cannot google a shop there to install a aftermarket remote starter alarm system anywhere in Brazil

Old 10-30-2011, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by vinnymac
I've seen some pimp'd out Fits as well as other cars from Brazil on some forums.. you saying that you cannot google a shop there to install a aftermarket remote starter alarm system anywhere in Brazil
I will. But I talked to friends and they never heard about it.

I have another question about somenthing i heard today. Viper Car Alarm and remote start can only be installed on Automatic car? My car is manual.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
Remote starts can be installed on manual transmission vehicles but they have to be a specific style (one made for a manual transmission) and it may or not be made by Viper. You also have to go through a certain "ritual" so that the alarm knows that it can start the vehicle and run the car while it is in neutral.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:29 PM
Remote starts can be installed on manual transmission vehicles but they have to be a specific style (one made for a manual transmission) and it may or not be made by Viper. You also have to go through a certain "ritual" so that the alarm knows that it can start the vehicle and run the car while it is in neutral.
Thank You to explain that.

Old 11-11-2011, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
I am getting the Viper 5901 installed this weekend. I chose to get this installed since my car never came with any options, and I really need it for winter/summer.

If you're really leaning to oem stuff, Honda has an oem car starter/alarm. Just go to your local dealership and ask about it.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:56 AM
Viper products are great quality wise but often overpriced.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by gavin-jarosz
Excalibur makes starters and alarms with the same quality if not better for a much more reasonable price. Like someone said above, they can be tricky to install. And if done right, there is no reason they would harm your car.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gavin-jarosz
True! That's why I waited for a really good deal to pop out before I got my system installed. Never been happier.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
I have the viper smartstart system... Only problem was the current draw is above spec. It drains the battery. Unplug the cellular component and it's fine, you can still use the fob.

Mine was done at bby on a manual trans and it's worked perfectly.