Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Aftermarket Brake Pads ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member
Thank you.

I havent replace the pads since I've owned it (only owner), I never thought of the brake fluid, If I changed it would you recommend the best for the fit?

I did have the rear adjusted and it didnt raise the pedal. How much do you think a pro would want for new brake fluid and bleed. the mechanic that is new to my fold is an old school kinda guy. I'm not sure I will take this problemo to him again. I might take it, I said might take it to the dealership, or maybe a shop in the area that's known for good work on foreign cars.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:05 AM
5 Year Member
so after reading this thread I've come to the conclusion, that I will most likely put the stock rotors on and pads, I will change the brake fluid, I would like to put new lines on but that might have to wait.

Where's the best place to get the rotors and pads? Online or at an autozone, what's been your experience?

What would be the best brake fluid to purchase, should I go with the dealership or go autozone or maybe a site that we F.F.'s like to give our business to.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitjoe
so after reading this thread I've come to the conclusion, that I will most likely put the stock rotors on and pads, I will change the brake fluid, I would like to put new lines on but that might have to wait.

Where's the best place to get the rotors and pads? Online or at an autozone, what's been your experience?

What would be the best brake fluid to purchase, should I go with the dealership or go autozone or maybe a site that we F.F.'s like to give our business to.

Thanks in advance.

The key is purchase a well known brake fluid, of the proper specs per your Honda owners manual, and brake pads from one also. Such can be found at most aftermarket stores like AutoZoine, or Advance, or Oreilleys.

One caveat, unless Honda recommends a silicone based fluid, stay away from it. hondas, and other manufacturers, may still use proportioniong valves with seals that are destroyed by silicone brake fluids. The loss of a proportioning valve seal will put full pressure on your rear brakes that will wear them out in a matter of mninutes as well as potentially wrecking you when you apply only rear brakes on a bike in a hard stop.
The secret is using stuff from ell recognized suppliers. Stay away from 'cheap' stuff, especially brake pads.
And don't worry about other rotors; Honda rotors have proven well capable under race conditions; change them only whemn wearing lessthan minimum thickness.

Last edited by mahout; 03-14-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:22 AM
5 Year Member
Very satisfied with my EBC set-up. Using a Ultimax sport rotors and yellow stuff pads. Great for both street/track.

What types of Fluid are peopling having the best pedal feel with?

Old 07-28-2014, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
looking at getting a set of st street performance pads, but tire rack has two part numbers listed:

any idea what the difference is?

Old 07-28-2014, 10:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by apexanimal
looking at getting a set of st street performance pads, but tire rack has two part numbers listed:

any idea what the difference is?

go check the Hawk brake pads at Hawk.com. And then order the HPS pads at the least expensive place, perhaops PartsGeek.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:18 PM
5 Year Member
i have hps on it currently... i'm done with them...

anymore info on the st's?

Old 07-29-2014, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member

You dont like the HPs?

Old 07-29-2014, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member

Why didn't you like the HPS?

Old 07-30-2014, 10:44 AM
5 Year Member
i've had them on my last two cars as well... they are dusty and the dust eats wheel paint if not cleaned often, the cold bite isn't very good, the pedal feel isn't very good imo, etc...

i did see that they came out with the hps 5.0 but i don't want to be a test mule for them...

i've seen some very good reviews for the st street performance pads and i'm ready to move on...

Old 07-30-2014, 03:18 PM
I agree with you apexanimal on the HPS for all the same reasons you didn't like them. For the little benefit they provide there's no excuse for the dust LOL

I've seen nothing but good reviews for the ST street pads, the only downside being they should remain exactly that: street pads.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:21 AM
5 Year Member
mild autox would be okay on them... the hps are high performance street too

i'll let you all know what i find...

Old 07-31-2014, 02:08 PM
the hps are high performance street too
IDK about that. I'd say slightly better than stock performance street lol

I never had any good impressions of them anyway when i've run them in the past. I dare say I liked EBC Greenstuff better hahaha

But my backing plates never separated so.....

I have R4-S right now and feel they're definitely superior though a little more noisy (and more expensive).

Interested in the StopTechs as a budget pad, I think they offer them for my other car so i'll stay tuned.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member
agreed

i had a couple scary cold bite experiences in my ptgt with the hps on it... and one of my front pads did separate from the backing plate... i wasn't pleased about that... they did warranty them though...

i like the r4s too... i had to disregard them due to price...

We'll see if the new hawk 5.0 pads are any better... but i'll give a report of the stsp's once i get them on...

Old 08-01-2014, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
If you want intial bite, give the Hawk HP Plus pads a try. You will get dust, and it will make some noise, but you will also get some really awesome stopping power in return. At least that is my experience with them.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:39 AM
5 Year Member
put the st street performance pads on yesterday, with napa ultra premium rotors (black veins and hat, closer tolerances) yesterday...

impressions vs hawk hps:

much improved initial bite
more linear response through pedal range
overall seems to evoke more confidence on the street

i obviously haven't experienced how it dusts etc yet, but i'll try to remember to update this after a while...

Old 08-16-2014, 12:14 PM
5 Year Member
I've been very happy on my EBC products. I'm currently running the EBC yellow stuff pads and Ultimax Sport slotted rotors. They have a tad but of noise since they are more for race but they bite good. I use them on the street and that's when I notice the noise when the radio is off. But totally worth the upgrade at around $225 for everything.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:31 PM
Administrator
Will have to agree with the slight increase in dust with the Hawk HPS's

I do like the overall brake feel vs stock pads so to me it's worth the minor inconvenience.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member
as a follow up on the stsp pads:

they do dust a good bit... but it's easy to clean off... the hawk dust is corrosive to paint over time, but this stuff just wipes right off...

i'm still enjoying the initial brake bite and modulation...

Old 09-09-2014, 12:34 PM
Got a set of Hawk HP Plus pads installed over the weekend, in prep for a track day in a couple weeks. I had these pads on my track Miata, so I knew they were great going in, but it was a pleasant surprise how solid the brakes are now. Bedded them in and then did six 80->10->80 mph cycles and each stop was as good as the last.

But yes, they put out a fair bit of dust and squeal occasionally at lower speed.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Brake Pads ???