Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Aftermarket Brake Pads ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by phil_qc
free bump...

I will email Hawk for the HPS pads...
Axxis Ultimate = dust storm
i know im late and its off topic... but ive never seen you post before... THAT COLOR IS EFFIN SICK!

Old 06-03-2008, 06:13 PM
just installed ebc greenstuff pads (rsx - not s) and centric rotors - they fit perfectly and bite better!

Old 06-03-2008, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
sh!t i totally forgot to tell you guys that i installed the hawk brake pads

but anyways, great bite, easy to install, the instructions for breaking them in were clear

its been maybe 4 weeks since i installed them in and they've havent lost any grip

only thing is that about last week it started to squel so i'm gonna check if anything shifted over or what not tommorow

i'm thinkin of picking up some rotors too sometime in the near future so that'll help during touges

Old 07-07-2008, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Skimmer
One thing I noticed about the Spoon Fit is that they seem to use some type of finned rear brake drum, which might enhance brake cooling. Dunno where they got those, but I'd like to find a set. Are they JDM? Look closely at the rear wheel on this pic...

JTuned™ JDM / JSPEC Online Magazine - Photography Gallery

They are aluminum drums from an insight... you can buy them here...

Honda Automotive Parts)

Old 07-07-2008, 02:08 PM
Sweet, great info. How did you figure that out?

The Insight drums are $62 each from that source, not bad. Do you know if they are a direct bolt-on for the Fit, and would the Fit brake shoes still work?

Old 07-07-2008, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
I believe they are a direct fit, most honda parts are like legos as im sure you know. I plan on doing this once im in the position to do more track days and solo1.

To find out for sure i would email Edmund from opak racing (the US affiliate of Spoon sports who actually in part built the Spoon Fit) Hes really good about emailing people.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
Any other benefit then just keeping the rear brakes cooler?

Old 08-04-2008, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by itsmeb*tches
Any other benefit then just keeping the rear brakes cooler?

Finned brake drums are less prone to drum warpage under hard use and if the drum is more round that assists braking,

Old 08-05-2008, 01:08 PM
I read somewhere that brake dust shows the brakes are working?!? The slightly higher priced cars such as BMW, Mercedes etc do stop better than most North American cars & they do get quite dusty... I just changed my front disc on my Fit @ 36600 miles and had at least 5000 more miles to go in my estimate. They took about 20 min. to change. I guess they lasted because of the weight of the car. Of course if I was into autocross I would probably buy the Tire Rack setup or Spoon to swap out the front disc & better brake pads as well.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by HondaFitted2007
sh!t i totally forgot to tell you guys that i installed the hawk brake pads

but anyways, great bite, easy to install, the instructions for breaking them in were clear

its been maybe 4 weeks since i installed them in and they've havent lost any grip

only thing is that about last week it started to squel so i'm gonna check if anything shifted over or what not tommorow

i'm thinkin of picking up some rotors too sometime in the near future so that'll help during touges
whats the part number? i can't find it on hawk web page!

Old 08-28-2008, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
For front pads the Hawk HB-418 should be direct fit in HPS. RSX 2-003-2006.
For drums HK (hoo kares); rear brakes merely are along for the ride. Stocks will do fine, except for the labor efforts. We're talking about hipo brakes here.
thx, finally found it!

Old 11-03-2008, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kkim
I use Ultimates for the performance stopping power they provide for a street level car. Yes, they do dust a bit more than stock pads, but work much, much better and the dust washes right off when I wash the car.

As far as Hawk pads... when I was doing research, I found the binder that they use in some of their pads is acidic and can lead to pitting and marring on wheels. I decided to stay away from them for that reason.

Good luck.
If that were the case I'd have nothing but trashed wheels. Hawks are standard issue here; believe its HPS418's if memory serves for front pads..
PS all brake pads are basically BaSo4 with fillers and reinforcements. Any acid would make the pads unfunctionable within a hundred miles in the rain.

Last edited by mahout; 11-21-2008 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:38 AM
5 Year Member
For what it's worth, I've ordered the Brembo Sport front slotted rotors, the Honda OEM Insight rear drums, Porterfield R4-S front pads and rear shoes and I'm going with Motul brake fluid.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out after install.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:58 AM
5 Year Member
I keep seeing "stock pads suck" appear over and over again in this thread. Guys, there's a reason why the stock pads aren't meeting some of your needs. You can't please everyone all of the time -- You can only hope to meet the needs of the largest audience.

Stocks pads must:
  • Not make noise
  • Not eat the customer's rotors
  • Not make noise
  • Not throw off crazy amounts of dust
  • Not make noise
  • Not have corrosive dust
  • Not make noise
  • Work fine at all normal temperatures
  • Not make noise
  • Provide a good service life
  • Not make noise
  • Provide a reasonable friction coefficient (acceptably low pedal effort)
Did I mention that North American drivers will not tolerate ANY noise from their car's braking systems? If your brake temps exceed the capability of the stock pads, call a spade a spade and admit that you're on a racetrack (or are likely a crazy nutjob driver) and need a higher temp pad. Just expect some compromises in the above items.

Last edited by richard612; 11-20-2008 at 04:02 AM.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by richard612
I keep seeing "stock pads suck" appear over and over again in this thread. Guys, there's a reason why the stock pads aren't meeting some of your needs. You can't please everyone all of the time -- You can only hope to meet the needs of the largest audience.

Brake pads are subjected to a lot of tests by the manufacturers, including cost to buy. The winner is the one with minimum acceptable performance at the lowest cost. Noise is only one criteria but you are right, its highest on the list.
However, there are many brake pads that do offer better friction coefficients and low noise but cost more.
Few of the complainers here have any knowledge or experience with how to evaluate good brakes; they just like to have a reason to buy a 'better' brake pad/shoes.
Let 'em do so; there are better brake pads out there.

Last edited by mahout; 11-20-2008 at 07:58 AM.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
However, there are many brake pads that do offer better friction coefficients and low noise but cost more.
Agreed. In your opinion, what pads fit this criteria?

Old 11-21-2008, 08:49 AM
5 Year Member
Agreed. In your opinion, what pads fit this criteria?

We only use 2 brands here for front pads:
Performance Friction and Hawk. We rarely see 'routine drivers' at our place. The pad selection is based on use by the driver.

At the rear we use stock pads. Even on the racers.

Old 11-21-2008, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
The street consumer-level PF Carbon Metallic and the HP+? Or full race pads?

Last edited by richard612; 11-21-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
The street consumer-level PF Carbon Metallic and the HP+? Or full race pads?

For the racers the full race versions
For the street: red, blue, or HPS, depending on the model. Fior the Fit the Hawk HPS 418

Old 11-22-2008, 01:20 AM
Originally Posted by Fit_Dr
For what it's worth, I've ordered the Brembo Sport front slotted rotors, the Honda OEM Insight rear drums, Porterfield R4-S front pads and rear shoes and I'm going with Motul brake fluid.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out after install.

updates on this?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Brake Pads ???