General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Rust-Proof Undercoating

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 11:46 AM
Rust-Proof Undercoating

I've only really heard of this in concept and I don't know anyone personally who has done it - but apparently it costs quite a bit and I'm wondering if anyone has experience getting it done?

I live in Canada and my Fit will without a doubt be driven/parked outside in the winter; and if this is something that seriously works I might look into it.

Then again, if you guys have experience in heavy winters without this; and have confidence Rust won't be too much of an issue with the Fit (I know some cars just plain don't rust as badly as others), Then I might avoid doing this at all!

Thanks guys - By the way, I'm weeks away from having my Fit!

Old 08-09-2009, 02:01 PM
Krown oil spray is the best choice, done every year it's a little messy but it works. I have a 1994 Accord (a notorius rust bucket) with NO rust it has been Krowned every year since new. Check out this link KROWN rust proofing: good and bad experience

Old 08-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Right on thanks for the info!

I wonder though, does the Fit even have real issues with rusting? I mean is it necessary to rust proof?

Old 08-09-2009, 02:34 PM
5 Year Member
Given bad enough conditions, any car can have rust problems. I lived in the Saudi Arabian desert for 5 years, and rust was a terrible problem because of the high salt content in the blowing sand. A side benefit is that rust proofing should reduce noise levels a little bit, and the Fit needs every bit of help it can get.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:24 PM
5 Year Member
I second Hoss10.
Here in Quebec there are many places squirting oil under cars.
It has become a very competitive business.
Just watch the operation at Antirouille Metropolitaine and then at a Krown agent and you will see why Krown costs +/- $110 can and Antir. Metro +/- $75.
Only one guy does the job at Krown and he takes his time. You should allow 1 hr at Krown whereas the other is +/- 20 min.
Anti Rouil Metro was great at the beginning, 15 yrs ago, but they got productive and since the quality of their work has tanked.
Cheers
Rod

Old 08-14-2009, 06:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by thric3r
Right on thanks for the info!

I wonder though, does the Fit even have real issues with rusting? I mean is it necessary to rust proof?
being on the east coast, i get my car undercoated every year. out here if its made of steel, its going to rust.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:07 AM
5 Year Member
thric3R

If you bet on the Fit being exempt from rust problems and you lose will it be a problem? How long are you planning on keeping it? Do you regard cars as being disposable destined to become junk, the sooner the better? Do you do maintenance only when things are broken or wore out to the point of being unsafe?
If you want to keep your Honda for over 10 years you will have to do something in my opinion. Again, in my opinion, these cars are not designed to last over 10/12 years. Stuff which could last much longer simply is not used. Example: the door liner (the clear plastic stuff you see when you remove the trim door panel) is held in place by some sort of mastic or caulking which is flexible when young and dries out over time to the point where it is rigid, also the clear plastic liner dries out too to the point that it tears just when you look at it. Sheet metal and paint both seem to be getting thinner. There are many plastic shrouds under your Fit. The one under the gas tank protects the tank from road debris, but will not protect it from rust. The shroud will even prevent sprayed on rust proofer to to its job if not applied with great care. Honda gas/brake/fuel lines are enclosed in a plastic carrier which looks a bit like a ladder and serves to hold snow and ice. It regularly rusts out your steel tubes. I could go on for another hour.
Have your car treated once by Krown and watch carefully how they do it. I am sure you will convince yourself of its usefulness even if your are supposed to go back each year.
Cheers from a believer.

Last edited by ElanS2; 08-14-2009 at 08:13 AM.