General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

how do you keep dogs away from your car

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Juliane
That's really not fair. The dog can't help it if he had to go...dogs don't like to "foul their nest" if they can help it. Yeah, "crap in a bag" can really mess up their bowel rhythm...I love to feed our dog raw meat, she loves it and her poops are really small and almost scentless. She gets cleaner teeth and is healthier because she's eating a dog's optimum diet. You might consider it for your dog. Usually feed once a day and then they only poop once a day at a time of your choosing (keeping in mind it takes a couple of hours for food to go through them). I never feed at night, almost always in the morning. Other people vary the time by hours so the dog doesn't learn to expect the food at any given time.

Dogs kind of go nuts when their pack leaders are really mad at them and they don't know why...How could the dog understand what he's done is wrong??? He just had to go.
When I can find turkey necks at a butcher shop where I shop I buy them all and freeze them....I take a few out every week and pressure cook them as a supplement along with the broth mixed with his food..... I will have to have him sleep in his crate until I am sure he is OK..... He will wake me if he is in his crate and needs to go..... I have had a few Dobermans that would cry like babies before they would go in the house.... I went to bed early and slept all night for a change or he would have let me know he needed to go outside.... This guy is a Border Collie and as smart a dog as I have ever seen and like others of this breed always on the move.... Fortunately he has well over a hundred acres to romp and play and is very well behaved in the house but initially he was difficult to train, mainly because of his intellect and my lack of mobility.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:58 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Don't cook the turkey necks for him, it destroys the vitamins and enzymes he gets from the meat. If someone tells you that he will get salmonella from raw meat, laugh at them, dogs' stomach enzymes will dissolve bone so unless a dog is immune-compromised, he's not going to get sick from the meat God designed him to eat.

Our dog is a Jack Russell, and all reports tell me that if you can train them 90% you are doing well. She was full-grown when we adopted her and I am pretty sure that someone played chase with her, because when she gets out, she tears off as fast as she can while waiting for someone to come after her.

Border collies are very smart indeed, and train well, but it does take dedication, or they can develop bad habits.

And they want to please their human family, so I hope your guy can recover from displeasing his female pack member (or leader, if she is in that role).

Old 05-14-2010, 10:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Juliane
Peeing on a dog is not going to help the situation.

Juliane... you need to chill, sweetheart (that's an affectionate term, not a "sexists" term... please don't get PC on me!), I was only joking around about "peeing" on the dogs! I guess you completely missed my "" avatar... indicating I was only joking around.

I disagree about the "dogs and cats doing only what is natural" comment, partially. Dogs and cats definitely do what they were naturally designed to do... yes, they mark territory. The problem I have with that is when irresponsible cat and dog owners allow THEIR flippin' pets to wander into their neighbors' yards, spraying and marking their neighbors' wheels and other assorted territories!

I love animals... my 14 year old German Shepherd just died not long ago... I'm still heartbroken. Still, if I want a cat or dog in my yard I will get another one. I get tired of having to deal with neighbors' animal urine on my wheels and their cats digging up my assorted gardening zones and spraying my yard down. They're not my animals, and it's not THEIR yard! Animals will do what they do... but it's not fair for me to have to put up with what others' animals do.

I warn neighbors several times first. If it continues I call animal control and alert the neighbors their animal has been taken to the local SPCA, or pound. I hate doing this, but, just like obnoxious and undisciplined kids, I didn't get or have them. It doesn't take a flippin' village... it takes parents and pet owners with brains, class and normal senses of responsibility! They are your kids, not mine... they are your pets, not mine.

So my message to irresponsible, classless and derelict neighbors -- "Please get a clue... either act responsibly and accordingly, or I will!"

No, I don't abuse animals, Juliane... nor do I advocate it. I was only joking about treating them the way they treat fire hydrants.

Last edited by annunC8; 05-14-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:03 PM
attach some kind of battery powered siren under your car'

Old 05-16-2010, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
Car cover and they wont be able to scratch it. Now for the dog hair try one of those lint rollers on the carpet and seats. Than get some mats and maybe seat covers for sure. I mean i thought i had dog problems with my dog and my CR. I had the dog throw up on my seat and still got it cleaned up

Old 06-16-2010, 01:07 PM
The easiest way to solve the problem is for the owners to make the parking area off-limits to the dogs, AND maybe have the Fit owner scare the dogs with an air horn if they come near. Yeah, that may be a little cruel but it doesn't hurt them permanently.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:47 PM
My two dogs love car rides. They don't shed so the hair is not an issue. They are relatively small dogs (one is around 8 pounds, the other is 15 pounds). The only thing I hate is the drool that ends up in the inside of my windows ... I love them though and can't justify any reason to not take them for rides. I just wipe the inside of the windows once we get home. They have never once tried to jump on my doors or on any exterior part of the car. They just know to wait until we open the door for them, and then they jump in.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:00 PM
not any help to the OP... my sister in law's westie crapped in the back of the car when we were driving. we had one of the back seats down and the dog managed to get poo on EVERYTHING in the back areas of the car. it was very cold outside, but even driving with the windows down 25 minutes to finish the drive in that stench was awful.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:01 PM
there is no running away from this problem. you have to face it anyway. the best you can do is put some kind of alarm or something which keeps dogs away only for sometime.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
Take your neighbour's cat that shits in your flower beds with you next time and just toss it out for the dogs.

Works for me.

Cats love riding one way in the Fit. Special seat for them - a catch and release cage.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:27 PM
I'd wait til they get within 5 feet and just blow the sh*t out of the horn and flail your arms like a mad man.

I'll see how this goes later tonite.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:51 PM
lmao this thread is too good to not bring back from the dead.

Old 08-06-2018, 05:11 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
spray a very small amount of white vinegar either on the tire tread or near da cars. dogs hate vinegar.

Old 09-03-2018, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
spray a very small amount of white vinegar either on the tire tread or near da cars. dogs hate vinegar.
be careful not to spray on painted surface, they're highly corrosive. Yea strong smelling acidic liquids works well against cats and dogs. When I cared about my car, I make sure to wax my car often, cats hate jumping onto a slippery surface. I saw one fell on his face when it jumped onto my hood.