General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit hard to see for trucks and SUVs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 10:29 AM
Fit hard to see for trucks and SUVs?

Hi,

Still trying to decide between the Fit and Kia Soul, gonna buy this week. Was leaning towards the Fit but some posts I've been reading about Fits not being seen by trucks and SUVs and (almost) getting hit have been scaring me. Has this been happening to a lot of you? All replies appreciated-

Old 08-23-2010, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member
It happens, you just have to get used to it. Even if they could see your car, some people just don't look. Simple solution is if possible, make it a habit to stay out of peoples blind spots. Either pass them or stay back, but don't just sit there.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:54 AM
Its nothing to do with the Fit other than its general small size, people are going to "not see" anything they think they can bully out of the way.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:58 AM
5 Year Member
I have always driven either small cars or motorcycles, so I guess I'm used to being ignored by other drivers. It's not that they DON'T see you, it's that, if you're smaller than they are, they just don't care, since you're not perceived as a "threat".

Then again, I read, some years back, of a study of collisions between cars and fire trucks. The most common reason for the collision given by motorists was, "I didn't see the fire truck."

Be careful out there.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:04 PM
The Fit has a higher roof than most other sedan/coupes. Maybe the length lets you more fully fit in someone's blind spot, but otherwise it's not that drivers can't see the Fit...they simply are not paying attention.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:12 PM
you are comparing two very similar cars (size and performance)

Is there some reason you think the Soul is going to be seen any eaiser than the fit on the highway?

Old 08-23-2010, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
only when pulling out parked between a SUV and van, in a mall parking lot.

but thats why you inch out until you clear yourself

Old 08-23-2010, 01:20 PM
thanks for the responses. I feel like the Soul would be seen easier on the highway than the Fit because it has more ground clearance and 'feels' bigger when you look at it. I looked at the specs and the Soul is only around 4 inches higher and wider than the fit.

Having driven more 'substantial' cars in the past, I feel a bit unprotected/vulnerable in the Fit-it feels like the car is packed pretty close around u when you're driving and between you and the outside there is just a thin layer. The big windshield may add to this psychological impression. I realize from my reading that the Fit is rated very highly for safety (except perhaps the rear end), as is the Soul- i guess its a subjective/psychological feeling i'm experiencing. The Soul 'feels' safer when driving it- probably from sitting higher up off the ground as well as the more substantial feel of the car.

I was leaning towards the Fit over the Soul until reading on this forum yesterday about people not being seen in their Fits by trucks/SUVS (I live in Southern California, lots of both of those here). Also reading/seeing photos of peoples wrecks and accidents give the impression of the Soul being a bit flimsy/fragile.

My previous cars have been an old volvo and camaro.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
even being seen sometimes just doesnt do it.

when on my motorcycle, i was at a 4 way light, green to me.

lady in a van looked at me, and proceeded to inch forward and make her right turn on red, almost nailing me. she pretty much locked eyes with me for at least 5 sec (school zone = 20mph limit), but went on anyway.

anyway, if you feel someone isnt paying attention to you in the fit, just lay down the horn a little

Old 08-23-2010, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by Punisher11

when on my motorcycle,
There's a fair amount of evidence that most drivers don't "see" motorcycles as things on the road.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by malraux
There's a fair amount of evidence that most drivers don't "see" motorcycles as things on the road.
and i will agree, especially in the night time hours. but with that said, a fit isnt as bad athe OP makes it out to be

Old 08-23-2010, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
I've driven my Fit in Philadelphia and NYC and don't really have a problem being seen. I think the other posters have hit it on the head, there's nothing you can do about inattentive drivers.

My family has a few other cars that I get to drive when I visit -- a first-gen Honda Odyssey, a first-gen CR-V, and a recent Toyota Highlander -- and I haven't experienced any difference in cars seeing (or not seeing) me. I actually like driving the two SUVs the least because of their relatively poor visibility.

That being said, the Fit is taller than most sedans (the Fit is 60 in. high, compared to say, a Volvo 240 which is 57.1 in or a 4th gen camaro which is about 51.3 in high). The Soul's curb weight isn't much more than the Fit's -- the Soul's curb weight is about 2820 lbs, while the Fit Sport A/T is 2604 lbs (and actually, the base Soul is even lighter than the Fit).

And don't be scared by all the pictures of accidents on this forum! I think people just like sharing. Really, any small car is going to have to crumple to save the people inside in an accident, the Soul included.

Still, I think when it comes down to it, you should pick the car you like better. No point in driving a car where you're worried about being hit, even if it's somewhat irrational.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
I think it's hard to see by absent minded drivers. Be they in trucks, SUVs, cars, or minivans (by far the most dangerous, IMHO).

Old 08-23-2010, 03:51 PM
and i will agree, especially in the night time hours. but with that said, a fit isnt as bad athe OP makes it out to be
I can't imagine the Fit is any worse than any other small car. Of course, one of the major reasons I went with the orange color was because I wanted the car to stand out.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
each time i see a kia soul it cracks me up... it's like the ultimate clown car. i donno some folks like it
and some folks make fun of our wedge cars so who knows.

you guys remember the gremlin like back in the late 70's? that's wat it reminded me of as far as werdness...

Old 08-23-2010, 05:10 PM
Was just doing some further research, looks like the height of the Fit is close to average and the length is maybe a little shorter than average.

The weight is kind of light (a Volvo weighs 1400 more pounds!) which may be part of what I'm sensing that makes me feel a bit unsafe.

If the height and length (and width) are average and close to it, what about the Fit do you think makes it hard to see by larger vehicles?

Old 08-23-2010, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
anyway, if you feel someone isnt paying attention to you in the fit, just lay down the horn a little
This is the major reason why one of the very first upgrade items on a Fit/Jazz here in the Philippines is a stronger, louder signal horn.

Truth be told the stock horn is pathetic.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by considering

If the height and length (and width) are average and close to it, what about the Fit do you think makes it hard to see by larger vehicles?
I don't think it's hard to see. Frankly I don't know where that is coming from. I've driven the Fit 30,000 miles in 18 months in small towns, on rural roads, to the east coast on I-80/90, Memphis, Chicago, St. Louis, Cleveland, Boston, you name it.

I've never had a situation where I thought someone didn't see me because of the car. Lots of other reasons, like eating, phone, text, makeup, reading, coffee, or kids, but the car? Where is that coming from?

This pic is of a stretch of N. Broadway near Lincoln Park in Chicago on a rainy March Sunday afternoon, if memory serves. How would a Fit be any more or less vulnerable here than any other car you might be driving?

Out here in rural Illinois on I-80 in the rain, it doesn't matter what you're driving. You better be paying attention, and you hope everybody else is, too.

Cheers.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member

when on my motorcycle, i was at a 4 way light, green to me.

lady in a van looked at me, and proceeded to inch forward and make her right turn on red, almost nailing me. she pretty much locked eyes with me for at least 5 sec (school zone = 20mph limit), but went on anyway.

Originally Posted by z06dustin
I think it's hard to see by absent minded drivers. Be they in trucks, SUVs, cars, or minivans (by far the most dangerous, IMHO).
Before I got my Fit... a woman, in a minivan, cut me off as I was crossing the intersection. Was I in a motorcycle? no. Was I in a small coupe/sedan? no. I was in a two ton SUV. Lucky for both of us, I was paying attention. Otherwise, she'd probably be still in the hospital right now (had my fit 2 months). The SUV had full guards, so it would dig more into anything it collides with.

Originally Posted by considering
Was just doing some further research, looks like the height of the Fit is close to average and the length is maybe a little shorter than average.

The weight is kind of light (a Volvo weighs 1400 more pounds!) which may be part of what I'm sensing that makes me feel a bit unsafe.

The weight of your car doesn't change your visibility. It definitely can influence the driver's perception of "threat/danger"... should you hit them.

People will do stupid things, some think they can bully you... other's hope, despite THEIR lack of sense, that YOU would brake to avoid hitting them.

Some drivers aren't inattentive.... they're just plain assholes.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
each time i see a kia soul it cracks me up... it's like the ultimate clown car. i donno some folks like it
and some folks make fun of our wedge cars so who knows.

you guys remember the gremlin like back in the late 70's? that's wat it reminded me of as far as werdness...
Kia Soul looks like it could be the child of a Scion XB. I really like the green color color they have, it's called "Alien Metallic". I would have loved a green option for the Fit.

To me, the weirdest car out here is the Nissan Cube--reminds me of a refrigerator on wheels.

Quick Reply: Fit hard to see for trucks and SUVs?