General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

What is this engine sound?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
What is this engine sound?

Hello,

The other day I had my hood open as I was needing to refill my windshield washer fluid. My engine was idling and it was cold (engine was cold and it was cold outside).

While I was refilling my WW reservoir, I sudenly started hearing a loud ticking/spark noise, similar to an electric lighting system for a BBQ or a gas oven/stovetop. I shut down the car and restarted it and it idled normally for about 20 seconds and then the ticking returned.

I did change the spark plugs this summer and I'm not confident that they are torqued properly since I didn't have access to a torque wrench with the appropriate "range". I've been meaning to get around to retorquing my plugs but the weather has been very cold.

As far as I can tell the car is running normally (no codes) aside from some highish idling on initial starts which is probably caused by the extreme cold. Should I be concerned? Is this due to an improperly torqued plug? Failing coil?

Link to the sound:
Chirbit - New Recording 7 - MTLian - share audio easily

PS: my car: 2007 GD3 sport w/ 57k miles

Old 01-25-2015, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
It sounds like valve clatter. The first thing (cheapest) I would do is check and possibly change the oil. If it doesn't help, I'd have the valves checked/adjusted.

How many miles do you have?

Old 01-25-2015, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hogwylde
It sounds like valve clatter. The first thing (cheapest) I would do is check and possibly change the oil. If it doesn't help, I'd have the valves checked/adjusted.

Finally a response! I thought I'd get no help.

I mentioned the amount of miles at the bottom of my post 57k. I did adjust the valves last spring and since I opened the exhaust valves (according to spec) they do sound noisier. I might close them up a bit next spring.

I wish I could have recorded the clatter before the extra noise came in. It's really like a BBQ lighter sound which is why I'm worried about the spark plugs. You do hear some valve clatter but when the extra noise comes in, it is noticeably louder and different than the valves.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:10 AM
5 Year Member
Just today, I went to my buddies underground parking and checked the torque on the plugs. One plug was so loose, that I tightened it at least 30 turns with just my fingers on my spark plug socket and extension before if felt any resistance. It must have been half way backed out. I checked call the other ones but they didn't budge with the torque wrench and were at spec.

If you hear a loud spark like sound (like a BBQ piezo lighter), check the torque of your plugs!

Old 02-09-2015, 08:19 AM
Good thing you found it. I would have been freaked out by that. Wonder how it got loose it the first place?

Old 02-09-2015, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Samaden
Good thing you found it. I would have been freaked out by that. Wonder how it got loose it the first place?
I didn't have a torque wrench that did values under 20lbs so I tried to wing it. That was my first error. Second, I usually tighten all the plugs finger tight and then torque them one at a time with a torque wrench; since I didn't have acces to one, I might have mistakenly skipped torquing the last one to the right.

I'm planing on buying a torque adapter that does small values but my current solution is to use my torque adapter that has a bottom value of 20ft lbs and I just look at the screen till I get to 13 (spec for the plugs). Of course the adapter can't beep in that range and it is of by +/- 3% but it's obviously better than trying to do it by feel that has failed me, big time.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hogwylde

I hate being the messenger but changing the oil will not cure valve clatter; only an adjustment of valve clearances will do that. and you should check those clearances at least every 20,000 miles; if the clearance decreases you're in danger of a burnt valve and substantial cost. and low clearances result in no noise.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:36 AM
5 Year Member
Funny you responded a month later. A valve adjustment was done this past summer 2014. I sometimes get that same ticking again. I hope it's not a lose plug; that would mean the threads are damaged... I've been meaning to change the coils for a while... Perhaps it's a coil?

Old 03-19-2015, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MTLian
Just today, I went to my buddies underground parking and checked the torque on the plugs. One plug was so loose, that I tightened it at least 30 turns with just my fingers on my spark plug socket and extension before if felt any resistance. It must have been half way backed out. I checked call the other ones but they didn't budge with the torque wrench and were at spec.

If you hear a loud spark like sound (like a BBQ piezo lighter), check the torque of your plugs!
This happens. My brother's Civic spit out a spark plug a couple months ago!

Old 03-20-2015, 03:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xorbe
This happens. My brother's Civic spit out a spark plug a couple months ago!
Why? Improper installation? Thread damage?