Honda Fit Dealer Reviews Here is your chance to vent bad experiences with your local dealer or praise them for exceptional service! Please include the Dealer name, City, State and Country in the Title of your post. Help fellow FitFreaks find good dealers and avoid bad ones.

Scott Honda of Downingtown, PA. Two thumbs up

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 12:39 AM
Thumbs down Scott Honda of Downingtown, PA. Two thumbs down

I initially had two thumbs up for Scott Honda, but am changing this to two thumbs down. In order to have flexibility on the last Friday of cash for clunkers, I had $10K ready to purchase a Fit (plus credit card for balance) from whatever dealer could come through, and many were requiring certified checks which was not going to be practical that day. While it turned out to be a good plan because the first two dealers pulled a bait and switch on me, another problem has crept up from the last dealer I dealt with, Scott Honda.

About a week and a half after purchasing the car, I received a certified letter from Scott Honda saying they had reported my cash purchase to the IRS, stating they were required by law to do so. When I called their accountant up, whose name was on the letter, she admitted that the letter was in fact not true, and that only amounts over $10K necessitated reporting to the IRS. She said they did it just to be on the safe side. I had purposely used the $10K dollar amount because I knew of the statute and didn't want to be red flagged by the IRS, the DEA, and homeland security. Who would want that? When you buy the car, they do this whole deal looking for terrorists, etc. Just boggles the mind. Anyhow, how can you trust a dealership that turns a regular customer into the IRS even when there is no law requiring it??? Good question.

I was royally pissed, I have to say.

I'm all for catching money launderers, drug peddlers, and terrorists, but if there is no limit to this, we'll all end up on some list, which will prove worse than 9-11 in the long run.

Would like to know what others think. How would you like to arbitrarily be turned into the IRS for no good reason??

I spent a bit of time writing corporate Honda of all the problems I've had buying their simple Fit automobile. Is this the America I grew up in still? Got to wonder.

Last edited by erichard; 09-02-2009 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Scott Honda turned my name and transaction into the IRS