General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Well...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 01:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Subie
Hey D, cheer up bud! As one who has both cars, you really have to take them for what they are... Definitely apples and oranges... Hey, you can't put a recliner in a Rex but you sure can get to the store quicker. On the other end, you can sure pick up that recliner in another city and still keep that 25% discount you've been after, in your pocket and not the gas tank.

"Let the car show your character and not give you character." Cheers!
True enough. The Rex is a fun car for sure. It was also not the cheapest thing to keep running (as I recall tires we're pretty spendy) and the need for premium would not have been fun given the new price of gas. I think what I miss most about the Rex is the power. Even stock it was pretty fast and with some modifications it could really get pretty crazy.

I just need to look at the Fit as a different kind of car experience. I think it's the mini-van vibe that the Fit exudes that has been hard to warm up to. The funny thing is that the version of me that drove the Rex couldn't appreciate it like I can these days. Today I have a kid and have just passed the half century so you'd think I'd be groovin' on the Fit. I think the "I beat cancer" thing has me going the opposite direction. Pursuing my second degree black belt, running with the bulls in Pamplona next Summer and generally not feeling particularly domestic (my students at school keep telling me that I sure don't act like their dads).

I like your quote...

"Let the car show your character and not give you character."
I appreciate your perspective. It's time to move on. The Rex is gone and the Fit is in the house. Let's see how fun it can be.

Last edited by dixeyk; 09-24-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:46 PM
5 Year Member
I luv 'um both. Things I can't fit in the Rex, I can put in the Fit. The "around town" fun the Rex can't give me, I get from the Fit in a smaller scale - agility, quickness (short burst ), cheaper gas to burn. I still get a kick out the different seat configurations. The Rex definitely has its own culture, but so does the Fit. Enjoy your ride!

BTW, I used to drive around your part of town years back, my Navy days (Whidbey Island).

Last edited by Subie; 09-24-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member
For now, I'll have to take your word for it concerning the Fit's funness to drive. I don't think I'm there yet...still getting the Dodge Caravan vibe from it. It does however hold all my martial arts sh*t and still allow me to close all the doors. I think that with the reliability and cheap to maintain part will have to do for a start. I hear a RSB helps a lot in the fun to drive department. Maybe some small "upgrades" will help. They'll keep me focussed on something other than what the Fit can't do. I will say that it looks pretty simple to work on. Easier than the REX...well certainly cheaper.

Whidbey's nice. How long were you there.? BTW, we're having the weirdest weather up here. Not killing hot like Texas but it's almost October and it was 78 degrees last night. Makes up for the cool rainy Summer...sort of.

Last edited by dixeyk; 09-24-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
It's finally cooling down some here in Texas. The daytime highs have fallen into the mid 90s and we have seen overnight lows in the mid 60s a few times in the last 2 weeks... When it snowed in April I knew it would be a hot summer.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dixeyk
For now, I'll have to take your word for it concerning the Fit's funness to drive. I don't think I'm there yet...still getting the Dodge Caravan vibe from it.

Whidbey's nice. How long were you there.? BTW, we're having the weirdest weather up here. Not killing hot like Texas but it's almost October and it was 78 degrees last night. Makes up for the cool rainy Summer...sort of.
I really feel your transition. I remember driving a Corolla when I was mostly driving my Rex. I thought there was something wrong with the Corolla. It's a mindset thing. Probably an easier transition for me since I do own a '99 T&C AWD, a '07 Elantra and now the Fit to add. Give it some time. It'll grow on you...

Used to do training at NAS Whidbey Island weeks at a time way back in the '80s if I remember right.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
I really feel your transition. I remember driving a Corolla when I was mostly driving my Rex. I thought there was something wrong with the Corolla... Give it some time. It'll grow on you...
LOL...that is exactly what it's like. I look forward toward it growing on me.

Old 09-24-2011, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member
LOL...that is exactly what it's like. I look forward toward it growing on me.
Just use the gearbox and let it rev, keep the speed up in freeway traffic and your eyes scouting well ahead for holes that will allow you to not need to use your brakes and break your pace.. I used that technique driving a 60 HP VW diesel and had a ball in it.. I enjoy having the extra power from supercharging my engine but I really miss being able to drive the hell out of it when it was stock without breaking the speed limit to such an extent that fines would put me in the poor house.. Driving a small car with a small displacement engine is a lot of fum and a Honda handles being revved high better than most anything else.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
It's finally cooling down some here in Texas. The daytime highs have fallen into the mid 90s and we have seen overnight lows in the mid 60s a few times in the last 2 weeks... When it snowed in April I knew it would be a hot summer.
My brother (lives in College Station) said it was 116 a few weeks back...holy cr@p...I've been in the NW so long I think all my body functions would shut down in heat like that. I also imagine my skunk2 shift knob would burn a hole in my hand. Glad to see that you folks are getting a break. Overnight in the 60's must be a real treat after heat like that.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
Just use the gearbox and let it rev, keep the speed up in freeway traffic and your eyes scouting well ahead for holes that will allow you to not need to use your brakes and break your pace.. I used that technique driving a 60 HP VW diesel and had a ball in it.. I enjoy having the extra power from supercharging my engine but I really miss being able to drive the hell out of it when it was stock without breaking the speed limit to such an extent that fines would put me in the poor house.. Driving a small car with a small displacement engine is a lot of fum and a Honda handles being revved high better than most anything else.
Funny you should mention that. I used to drive my 87 Civic Si that way (not one of the better Civics I ever drove) but was fun to drive if you did it right. I had a long commute in those days and it made it a lot more bearable. I remember it had a pop out moonroof that I especially liked.

Last edited by dixeyk; 09-25-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
Funny you should mention that. I used to drive my 87 Civic Si that way (not one of the better Civics I ever drove) but was fun to drive if you did it right. I had a long commute in those days and it made it a lot more bearable. I remember it had a pop out moonroof that I especially liked.
I bought the GD3 after reading a few paragraphs about it in "Motor Trend" I knew I wanted one.. The thing that sold me after all was said about fuel mileage, practicality, handling and it being low on power was that the aftermarket would sure address the need for speed.. I haven't had my car on a dyno but know from hearing what others with a similar setup that have that I have about 2 times the horse and a little more than that of torque... I have done other things to improve handling, more stuff stashed that needs to be installed and will be ordering more.. These things can be fun to drive with some wrenching and parts are always popping up for sale by guys that change their cars back to stock to sell or trade in on something else.... I will be drawing social security in 5 months and this tiny giant is just what I need for the long drives to VA hospitals.. My lack of organization skills that have been getting worse with age prevents me from leaving the house on time, and chronic back pain prevents me from being able to sit in one place for very long, I am very happy with what I have.... The temperature outside is now at 99.3 and the wind is blowing from the north at 19MPH just like it was on the Sunday before Labor Day when we had to evacuate the house because of an approaching wild fire... It'll be at least 100 degrees in a little while.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
I bought the GD3 after reading a few paragraphs about it in "Motor Trend" I knew I wanted one.. The thing that sold me after all was said about fuel mileage, practicality, handling and it being low on power was that the aftermarket would sure address the need for speed.. I haven't had my car on a dyno but know from hearing what others with a similar setup that have that I have about 2 times the horse and a little more than that of torque... I have done other things to improve handling, more stuff stashed that needs to be installed and will be ordering more.. These things can be fun to drive with some wrenching and parts are always popping up for sale by guys that change their cars back to stock to sell or trade in on something else.... I will be drawing social security in 5 months and this tiny giant is just what I need for the long drives to VA hospitals.. My lack of organization skills that have been getting worse with age prevents me from leaving the house on time, and chronic back pain prevents me from being able to sit in one place for very long, I am very happy with what I have.... The temperature outside is now at 99.3 and the wind is blowing from the north at 19MPH just like it was on the Sunday before Labor Day when we had to evacuate the house because of an approaching wild fire... It'll be at least 100 degrees in a little while.
That's good to hear. I decided to do a little tinkering to improve some things. Picked up an SRI from another board member and looking for a RSB. Those two things will probably make it a lot more fun for me. They should be pretty easy to put in and I think tinkering always helps bond you to a car.

It's 70 and cloudy here and the windstorm last night knocked most of my apples off the tree so I'd better get out and do some cleanup (and get to making jam).
Looks like Fall has arrived and decided to make some noise. Last time this happened the winds sheared some pretty big branches off the tree near my sons room and cam awfully close to shooting through the window (cut the tree down afterward).

Keep cool...and with 2x hp and torque at least if you need to evacuate again you can do it quickly.