The Wasteland The wasteland is unmoderated. Please do not enter if you have a weak stomach or can easily be offended. Only Administrators will have the right to moderate posts here.

Head Gaskets Are Yummy - SH!T

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
Definitely something wrong. Still haven't done comp check. When starting cold, it starts like a champ but runs with a miss, feels like only running 3 cylinders, but could just be random missing. Ecu is getting misfire codes from cold start only I realized, not from driving. Codes have expanded to miss in cyl 1 2 3 4 and also random cylinder miss code p0300. The miss goes for 5-15 seconds then suddenly the idle runs just fine. I have changed plugs to shorter gap and a new pair of projected plugs and no change. When starting the engine warm, it struggles to start for 2-3 sec but then fires up just fine. Coolant consumption is either extremely slow or non existent right now. No signs of coolant in sump.

Also, random question. Can anyone think of why 2 bottles of generic $2.19 spectrum mmt octane booster to 5 gallons of fuel would be more effective than the sacred 50/50 100 octane 93 octane blend. Thought it was in my head, but it is a repeatable experience.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:39 PM
You say operating temps are normal? Not sure on our Fit's, but with my NorthStar, a HG failure would blow/leak into the coolant passageways and not into the cylinders or crank. A sure way to diagnose is to check the coolant for combustion gasses.

Look for something like this: Amazon.com: LISLE 75500 - COMBUSTION LEAK DETECTOR CHECKS BLOCKS-HEADS-GASKET: Automotive

Lisle is what you're after.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
You say operating temps are normal? Not sure on our Fit's, but with my NorthStar, a HG failure would blow/leak into the coolant passageways and not into the cylinders or crank. A sure way to diagnose is to check the coolant for combustion gasses.

Look for something like this: Amazon.com: LISLE 75500 - COMBUSTION LEAK DETECTOR CHECKS BLOCKS-HEADS-GASKET: Automotive

Lisle is what you're after.
Yup he needs to do a leak down

Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Well if you didn't blow up your rad, pop the cap or run out of coolant you may not have popped the HG. Did the dipstick pop out or anything visually out of the ordinary?

Do you think you detonated under boost?

You could have a malfunctioning PCV, or bad valve stem seals...

This could also be transmission fluid getting sucked through a vacuum line.

The three worst case scenarios would be bad HG, cracked water jacket in the block, or a cracked head.

Your misfire codes are telling me it could be a cracked head

I think he will find his HG is intact unfortunately.

That was the first thing that struck me, I fear his nitrous backfires from months ago have a hand in this.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
I haves bad feeling if I pull the valve cover I will find miracle whip on the valves.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
I haves bad feeling if I pull the valve cover I will find miracle whip on the valves.
Well at least there is no chocolate shake being made in the pan right?

I still think this little to do with the boost it's self if you didn't detonate or lift the head, and from the details provided it might have been fatigue on previously over-stressed components.

Keep us posted. There is much to be learned by all from what you are doing!

Old 03-02-2011, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
Definitely something wrong. Still haven't done comp check. When starting cold, it starts like a champ but runs with a miss, feels like only running 3 cylinders, but could just be random missing. Ecu is getting misfire codes from cold start only I realized, not from driving. Codes have expanded to miss in cyl 1 2 3 4 and also random cylinder miss code p0300. The miss goes for 5-15 seconds then suddenly the idle runs just fine. I have changed plugs to shorter gap and a new pair of projected plugs and no change. When starting the engine warm, it struggles to start for 2-3 sec but then fires up just fine. Coolant consumption is either extremely slow or non existent right now. No signs of coolant in sump.

Also, random question. Can anyone think of why 2 bottles of generic $2.19 spectrum mmt octane booster to 5 gallons of fuel would be more effective than the sacred 50/50 100 octane 93 octane blend. Thought it was in my head, but it is a repeatable experience.

Maybe the coil packs are bad, meaning there not enough spark to ignite the fuel, Anyways I hope its fixable with out getting a new motor.

Nothing beats racing fuel and octane boosters are only good if needing a little octane so timing runs MBT which is 32 degrees. MMT only brings octane up a little and the MMT can coat the spark plugs causing a miss fire.
According to the book I have it has a octane rating of 108, so 1 oz would only raise octane .15 in a gallon of 93.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
Facepalm, I reused the lower intake manifold gasket when I installed the injectors.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:11 PM
Facepalm, I reused the lower intake manifold gasket when I installed the injectors.

Everything is behaving now? So you were losing metered air, going rich and misfiring causing all the smoke? lol

Old 03-02-2011, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
I wish, this is still just a theory. The ge8 has a retarded manifold gasket with a copper water jacket that runs through 2/3 of it. I'll bet money that's where my coolant is leaking. Puddles up in head & manifold and drips into combustion chamber past valves on startup. Also continuous slow leak would lead to slight power loss. Builds up in cyl during decel fuel cut and smokes at idle. Makes sense to me. See my picture of the lower manifold gasket at the head in my rsx injector install thread

Old 03-03-2011, 12:06 AM
I see, said the blind man...

Sometimes I really feel for you GE guys. So often does the cost/benefit compromising of OE production just make me want to ask WTF were these guys thinking, but I can bet the poor engineers were given a tough framework and told to make do.

Is that your EGR on the #1 cyl side?

Old 03-03-2011, 12:17 AM
5 Year Member
Yep, that's the egr. Blocked off of course.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member
You know, isn't it amazing how we take power for granted so quickly. I perceived power loss but the stopwatch says I'm going as fast as ever

Old 03-04-2011, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member
Too soon to say for sure but I just tightened my lower intake manifold bolts another 180 degrees and the white smoke has stopped. Hopefully cold startup will be better in the morning too.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:17 AM
5 Year Member
Tagged for interest.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member
Too soon to say for sure but I just tightened my lower intake manifold bolts another 180 degrees and the white smoke has stopped. Hopefully cold startup will be better in the morning too.
Thats great news, but better get the water injection setup before the temps rise.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member
subscribed

Old 05-12-2011, 03:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
I see, said the blind man...

Sometimes I really feel for you GE guys. So often does the cost/benefit compromising of OE production just make me want to ask WTF were these guys thinking, but I can bet the poor engineers were given a tough framework and told to make do.

Is that your EGR on the #1 cyl side?
LOL! I'm such a tardlet. That's no coolant jacket, If I would have looked at it for more than 2 seconds I would have realized that was the damn sub fuel system that I've spent forever trying to figure out. That copper jacket guides fuel from a second 'subfuel' pump that makes starting easier by richening the crap out of the system during startup. I still don't really understand why its necessary.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:27 AM
5 Year Member

Me too had a new head gasket along with arp head stud and its leaking even more than when i had it torqued around 65lbs. does anyone encountered the same thing with their vehicles?