1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Buying a 2008 Fit tomorrow. What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 02:27 AM
Buying a 2008 Fit tomorrow. What do you think?

Ladies and gentlemen,

I am planing to become one of you by buying myself a 1st gen Honda Fit tomorrow. It's for sale by a mechanic in Pasadena, I test drove it a couple days ago, the car seems to be mechanically in great shape, it has some damage on the left side doors and mirror cowl which appears to be from a bollard scrape. I used it as a bargaining chip to bring the price down a few hundred. I am planning to get it checked by a third party mechanic tomorrow before buying it. but want to poll you guys for opinions here:

about the car:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...853703855.html

- 2008 honda fit
- 106,000 miles on odometer
- manual
- has cosmetic damage on the left side doors, mirror cowl, and curb damage on a bumper.
- far as I can tell everything in the car works, no awkward highway noises or funny handling behaviors.
- I'm buying it for $4100 (talked it down from $4500 - the cost to replace the doors and bumper altogether would be 800, so the seller and I are basically splitting it)
- clear title and clean carfax report. I ordered one myself on its vin. it had 3 owners so far, but no accidents, and just all the normal services performed over the years.

far as I could see and from what I was told by the mechanic selling it, the underneath of the car is in great condition - no visible frame damage or leaks of any sort. The timing chain seems to be in great shape as well. I know my way round cars but definitely not as well as a mechanic. from what I understand, these are pretty reliable vehicles, and the L15 motor can run into 200K+ miles with just basic maintenance, but that's just me. Which is what brings me to you - please let me know what I should look out for. Any red flags I might have missed during the drive? Any advice, cautionary tales, words of reassurance, anything to push me off the fence, is absolutely welcome.

thanks so much!
----------------------
0l0id

Old 04-04-2019, 02:49 AM
Maybe Valve Timings?

Old 04-04-2019, 02:53 AM
Thanks, Baldwin. I think that's a good point.
The mechanic is looking the car over tomorrow anyway. He did the smog for me, and is also doing an oil change. before I come by to take it on that 3rd party inspection - I'll ask about the valves.

Old 04-04-2019, 02:56 AM
Originally Posted by 0L0ID
Thanks, Baldwin. I think that's a good point.
The mechanic is looking the car over tomorrow anyway. He did the smog for me, and is also doing an oil change. before I come by to take it on that 3rd party inspection - I'll ask about the valves.
Sounds good! I think you got all the basics covered. Good luck with the purchase. Any plans on modding it?

Old 04-04-2019, 03:10 AM
yeah I have a couple things in mind, but they're minor.

1. a modest VIS factory spoiler. the car has none right now.
2. The car comes with stock steel wheels and hubcaps - I would like to replace these sometime in the future with maybe HFP's and perhaps lower it by just a bit.
3. The car's headlight is a bit scratched - presumably from the same accident as the door and mirror - and I know that these 1st gen fits can be had with headlights of the same color as the car body - so I think sometime in the near future I may replace them with stock ones from a black fit.

looked around online and apparently the old adage of 'everything has been done before' still holds true ...basically I'm going for something like this:

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...iginal.jpg?v=0

...but all this is of course contingent on how tomorrow goes. Fingers crossed!

Old 04-04-2019, 03:12 AM
yeah I have a couple things in mind, but they're minor.

1. a modest VIS factory spoiler. the car has none right now.
2. The car comes with stock steel wheels and hubcaps - I would like to replace these sometime in the future with maybe HFP's and perhaps lower it by just a bit.
3. The car's headlight is a bit scratched - presumably from the same accident as the door and mirror - and I know that these 1st gen fits can be had with headlights of the same color as the car body - so I think sometime in the near future I may replace them with stock ones from a black fit.

looked around online and apparently the old adage of 'everything has been done before' still holds true ...basically I'm going for something like this:

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...iginal.jpg?v=0

...but all this is of course contingent on how tomorrow goes. Fingers crossed!
Ah okay. Well I actually have a set of Sport Alloy Wheels in great condition with brand new set of tires on them for $200 if you're interested!

Old 04-04-2019, 10:32 AM
5 Year Member
Few things to check:
Remove and inspect ignition coils--"rust like" deposits on the boot means loose spark plugs:: that the most famous hit that can ruin the whole deal
Some other manageable stuff lower control arm bushing wear, steering tie end rod boot cracks, leaking rear wheel cylinders (brake fluid under boots), traces of flooding in the trunk.. may be able to lower the price a bit more.
How did you figure cost of replacement doors/bumper?? You have a buddy working on PYP? Front bumper cover is very hard to find otherwise (unless you buying plain black (unpainted)
On the wrecking yard they are often disappear BEFORE regular customers coming in! Are you sure the color will match?? (good luck unless car is white!)

Old 04-04-2019, 01:16 PM
Check the spare tire well for signs of water - many of these cars leak into this area.

Old 04-07-2019, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the offer man, it's a pretty good bargain. But I'm afraid I'll have to pass - Having just gone and bought it I think I'm going to lay low financially for a little bit :][

Old 04-07-2019, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the offer man, it's a pretty good bargain. But I'm afraid I'll have to pass - Having just gone and bought it I think I'm going to lay low financially for a little bit :][
Haha all good. Congrats! I'm assuming everything went well? Make sure you post her up!