1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

I finally got my hands on a fit! cleanup, and suspension refresh

Old 07-13-2019, 06:29 PM
well the front sits *perfect* but the rear is .... higher than stock..by about a half inch.

...im a little annoyed. Especially since the front looks great. Maybe they’ll settle more...I hope.

I’m already debating if I want to cut a half coil off them, or the stock ones (I know it’s a total hack job of a solution) or maybe look for another set of springs...or get some custom Swift’s for the rear if I can figure out spring rates. Idk yet, I need some patience.

still workin on photos, later this evening probably.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:42 PM
Here it is.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:57 AM
How does it ride with the refreshed suspension? Do those Moog end links come pre-greased?

Old 07-18-2019, 12:54 PM
it’s definitely an improvement, although my stock struts and shocks were blown so obviously it will be better.... it feels more stable at speed and in cornering. But it’s not *too* much stiffer feeling than stock.

the moog links do not come pre-greased (or not with enough) I had to go buy a grease + gun, but that’s a nice tool to have.

Last edited by NEGD3; 07-18-2019 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:10 PM
I wish my Fit looked as good as yours!

Old 07-18-2019, 05:23 PM
thanks again Pete! it’s coming together well.

Update on the springs: the rears have settled a bit more. I’ve been leaving my tools and my floorjack in the hatch and it seems to have helped. Empty it’s still not much lower than stock. But at least it’s not higher any more...

However I’ve also been shopping around and looking into getting just a pair of springs from eibach or swift. Probably a 10” 250# which is basically the same rate as the Godspeed rears but 1” shorter. Probably should have just dished out out for Swift’s to begin with.. live and learn. I enjoy tinkering with the car and learning about suspension so it ain’t too bothersome

Old 07-23-2019, 05:19 PM
pulled the drivers side axle and replaced the seal today. It was my first time doing both. And it went smooth!

I knocked the balljoint loose (hammer method) and disconnected the sway bar link. To get the axle out. Pulling the tierod end probably would have been a good idea too but I left it connected..

i was worried about getting the ball joint loose coz I only have a small-er hammer. But it broke loose after about a dozen strikes.

and actually, I did run into one issue - I (twice..) over-extended the inner joint and had to pull the boot to reset it in the carrier; Once when I pulled it off, and again when I was trying to wrestle the axle into the hub. Easy fix though.

cleaned up some of the mess from the old leak whole i was down there...I hate having filthy greasy motor.

Here are the only 2 photos I took. my balljoint victory and the new seal installed

Id like to do the crank seal sometime soon as well, it’s leaking too. I’m also still saving for a new exhaust and a brake refresh. this car has taught me so much!

Old 07-23-2019, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
There is a special procedure to tighten crank bolt.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:12 PM
what do you mean? The special tool? the service manual seems to make it very clear. To me it looks like the normal procedure for part of a rotating assembly.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:10 AM
5 Year Member
Initial toque (27) followed by torque to angle (90 degrees)

Old 08-04-2019, 04:42 PM
...more pics, the rear springs have settled some more, i did a wet-sand and polish on the headlamps. and I actually did an a/c delete too..condenser and fan, compressor + lines and the evap core under the dash...gone 🤷🏼*♂️

I have some brake lines coming in this week, as well as an exhaust manifold and mid-pipe....the daily is turning into a bit of a project car

Old 08-04-2019, 11:05 PM
Looks really good. How does it ride/handle with those springs, particularly on rougher roads?

Old 08-04-2019, 11:32 PM
thanks 👍🏼 ..I think it feels pretty good...there are plenty of rough and unpaved roads here in New England, and I don’t find it uncomfortable or bouncy or anything. larger bumps are obviously a bit more jarring.

Old 08-04-2019, 11:47 PM
Thanks for the reply and the review. I’m contemplating a GD purchase and debating the pros/cons of going a bit lower. I live in a part of Colorado where the roads are not particularly well maintained and there’s nothing more annoying than a suspension that can’t handle some mid corner breaks in the pavement just because it’s too low and doesn’t have enough rebound control from the shocks.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:24 PM
loving this car more and more every day. after initial apprehensions I’m really pleased with the Godspeed springs. I’ve been going for night drives to the hills and it’s is just an absolute blast.

I finally have all my brake stuff in or ordered; calipers, rotors, pads and shoes + hardware. stainless lines. OE drums and Wheel cylinders appear to be good order 👌🏼

I just need to buy a new catalytic converter to complete my exhaust and this bad boi is gonna be p dialed.

control arms and etc, are the next “big” maintenance item. i want to drop to subframe and clean up some rust that’s developing. about time for a rear sway bar too.. could use some cosmetic love... project creep...is real.

Old 08-15-2019, 07:41 AM
5 Year Member
Have you pulled boots from the wheel cylinders? Is there any brake fluid inside? I see this now on EVERY single Fit I check on the junkyard

Old 08-15-2019, 12:49 PM
yep. I pushed the boots back, a little grimy looking but they didn’t look leaky. the drums and shoes aren’t too worn at all either. which makes me happy because I can keep those nice OE drums and just replace the shoes.

And another pic because..well I keep taking them..

Last edited by NEGD3; 08-15-2019 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:26 PM
This is my new Fit 08 with 51k miles. New tires brakes and battery . Runs fabulous. $1500. Steal of a deal.

Old 08-23-2019, 08:55 AM
welcome to the club!

that is a steal, I paid more than double that, and my care has double+ the mileage....I’m a little jealous!

ps, that looks a lot like where I live...you from New England...or is that an NY plate I spy?

Last edited by NEGD3; 08-23-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:37 PM
@NEGD3 was inspired by your first posts here. took off my rear bumper and removed/cleaned the crash bar which was also filled with rocks albeit not 20lbs. wire brushed and coated with rust reformer spray!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I finally got my hands on a fit! cleanup, and suspension refresh