1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

I finally got my hands on a fit! cleanup, and suspension refresh

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 06:38 AM
I finally got my hands on a fit! cleanup, and suspension refresh

I just recently bought this fit- an 08 sport, storm silver. and man - it’s friggin sweet y’all. a bit rough around the edges but well maintained.

I topped off some fluids and fixed some leaks, and ive just been been cleaning it all over (and under) I’m waiting on some parts to do the rear shocks - which I’ve never done before 🤷🏼*♀️ So we’ll see how that goes !

I want to do the front struts, end links, and lowering springs once as soon my budget recovers, but some general maintenance and cleaning will come first. CDV delete it on the “do it soon” list too. I just want a solid, fun lil DD.

I’ve just been enjoying the forum and wanted to say hello 👋🏻 I would be interested to hear more about getting good driving feel from the fit, feel free to chime in

Old 05-13-2019, 07:31 PM
Awesome Fit, looks great! Welcome to the forums - looking forward to seeing the progress!

Old 05-13-2019, 08:28 PM
Thanks to whoever finally approved my thread/post! I thought it was lost.

Anyway, I’ve gotten a little carried away. I’ve was waiting on shocks so I spent a few days digging around the car and looking for mechanical issues and rust. Found a bit of both! I’m leaking trans fluid and oil from..somewhere. Need a new engine mount. - ther rear bumper support was full of about 20lbs of sand and stones, and pretty much fully rotten! So i need to hunt another one of them down... I pulled the front bumper and repainted that crash bar, just coz 🤷🏼*♀️ But I need to get some touch up paint, silver rustoleum isn’t quite the best match.

rear support, full of sand - and rot.

Old 05-19-2019, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
20lbs of sand+stone
do not feel like checking how much is in my car

Old 05-19-2019, 03:40 PM
yea it was crazy, pretty much the entire beam was *full* of corse sand and small stones. Seems like the rear wheels just shoot it straight in there!

It probably doesn’t help they grit a lot of roads here in teh winter, and I live near the ocean/beaches. and who knows where else it’s been..

But in other news; been (slowly) replacing the shocks. Had to cut/drill out the bottom bolts coz they were really seized up :/ also decided to clean up and paint some of the exhaust and underbody.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member
Nice car! Glad to see it getting some love!

Old 05-20-2019, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
Check the driver side CV axle for rust under torsional damper!

Old 05-20-2019, 03:13 PM
I have, and looks *okay* to they eye 🤷🏼*♀️ teh axles are starting to loose their paint and have some surface rust but it doesn’t look too horrible. Id like to get some new paint on them, I have an axle seal that needs doing when I replace the struts so maybe I’ll do it then....

Id really like to drop the entire front suspension and subframe, and clean/repaint the car down there, then re assemble with new wear items. Probably a job a next year.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:36 PM
did swaybar links and a cdv delete today.

worst fastener on earth. Fuck a hex broach.

moog vs stock links

16” line w/ 90deg

line in.

Old 06-22-2019, 12:43 AM
Welcome to the forum, and agree - glad to see the car get some well needed attention. I just got an '07 myself, and now I'm nervous to check all those points myself... Maybe I'll just be bliss in my ignorance...

Anyways - I am interested in this CDV delete as I am ignorant as to what that even is? Search didn't help either.

Old 06-22-2019, 10:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by RaginTxn

Anyways - I am interested in this CDV delete as I am ignorant as to what that even is? Search didn't help either.
Clutch Delay Valve delete.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...-hardline.html

Old 06-27-2019, 02:50 PM
moar parts! Every other day this week I’ve gotten packages in the mail with car parts/consumables. Feels good man.

i have not been able to find a single person/post with information about using these Godspeed springs on the GD- so I decided to buy them and find out. I’m still waiting to buy new struts and mounts before I install them though.

they seem like a good alternative to swift springs (at roughly half the cost) godspeed say they should lower the car between 1-1.5” which would be perfect.

I also bought and installed some 20$ universal fit mud flaps from Amazon. But they need some more tweaks before I get photos...

Old 06-27-2019, 03:44 PM
Your Fit is going to look pretty sweet! I'm a little envious!

Old 06-27-2019, 05:16 PM
haha thanks! It should look nice once its all buttoned up. and hopefully it will drive even nicer : )

I just took it out for it’s first long-ish drive after the cdv delete and spark plug replacement - it felt very good.

here’s what the plugs looked like btw. Yes #3 was a bit looser than the rest..and I’m assuming they’ve been there the whole ~135k - and they didn’t look too bad. it seems to idle lower now? But I’m not sure if that’s related.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:58 PM
Got the springs installed yet

Old 06-27-2019, 06:07 PM
I literally just got them today. and I’m waiting until I can buy new struts and few other bits before I put them on.

give it a week, or three and I’ll likely have them on the car. I already hate stating at that box lol

Old 06-29-2019, 08:45 PM
finally took some photos in the open.

i think I still need to trim the rear mudflaps

Old 06-29-2019, 08:58 PM
She IS pretty!

Old 07-12-2019, 05:04 PM
Got the struts and springs in. Went smooth, everything fit with no issues I’ll have some photos of the car once the car sits and the springs settle out.

brake refresh and some exhaust work is next on the list.

Old struts and springs. The struts were *completely* blown with no rebound. Glad I changed them!

New vs old springs. The Godspeed springs are noticeably heftier gauge steel.

Rear view. I painted my drums while I was in there today

New struts loaded up. Didn’t even need a spring compressor.

Old 07-12-2019, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member
Cool, thanks!

Quick Reply: I finally got my hands on a fit! cleanup, and suspension refresh