1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

2007 Fit Sport AT 15,000 Mile Service

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
2007 Fit Sport AT 15,000 Mile Service

I am in the unusual position of having inherited a Fit that was rarely driven by my late parents.

When my mom passed four years ago, I had all the major fluids replaced. The car only had 5k miles on the odometer.

Dad passed recently, the odometer is now at 15km and the car is over 10 years old.

An oil change is upcoming, and I am wondering about other items to be done. Here's what I am considering:
~ oil change
~ brake fluid flush/change
~ parking brake adjust
~ air filter
~ dust/pollen filter
~ tire rotation

I have questions about the following:
~ The tires are the originals. The car has always been garaged. I am no judge of tread wear/depth, but I see some wear and cracks. Should I be thinking about new tires?
~ Valve clearance check?
~ Spark plugs?

My decision making problem is based on the car's age, as opposed to the mileage. What else is necessary? Is anything I've listed not necessary?

Thanks for any and all input.

Old 05-06-2019, 01:53 AM
Seems like you got most of them checked off. Maybe take a look at the welding near the rear hatch door for leaks? I hear they're a common issue.

Old 05-06-2019, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Farrago
~ oil change
~ brake fluid flush/change
~ parking brake adjust
~ air filter
~ dust/pollen filter
~ tire rotation
~ The tires are the originals. The car has always been garaged. I am no judge of tread wear/depth, but I see some wear and cracks. Should I be thinking about new tires?
~ Valve clearance check?
~ Spark plugs?
Oil change, brake fluid change and coolant change would be good to do. Maybe even trans fluid as well. Check the filters, if they are in good shape and clean then no need to replace.
Those tires are old, I would replace them.
Valve clearances are probably fine as well as the spark plugs. Whats wrong with the parking brake that it needs adjusting?

Old 05-06-2019, 05:26 PM
The engine air filter is probably fine but you can always take a look at it.

Are you doing any of this yourself? Because from what I've read on this site dealers charge a ton to replace the cabin air filter and it's really easy to do yourself. The hardest part is taking everything out of the glove compartment.

Old 05-06-2019, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
Oil, brake fluid, coolant, filters and then drive it 35,000 miles. Then adjust valves and do fluids again and then drive it another 50k. Keep repeating!

That thing will last a really long time if properly maintained.

Old 05-07-2019, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
Probably wouldn't hurt to check belts/hoses either.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for all the replies.

I will probably do the air filter (easy) and the pollen filter (more difficult) myself.

Tranny fluid was swapped out 4 years ago. I'll get the other fluids changed.

I mentioned the parking brake because, as far as I know, it has never been checked or adjusted in its 13 years of life.

As for the tires, those have probably reached the end of the line.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:25 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for all the replies.

I will probably do the air filter (easy) and the pollen filter (more difficult) myself.

Tranny fluid was swapped out 4 years ago. I'll get the other fluids changed.

I mentioned the parking brake because, as far as I know, it has never been checked or adjusted in its 13 years of life.

As for the tires, those have probably reached the end of the line.
If you have any desire to learn how to work on a car, the Fit is a great canvas. It's about as easy as they come.

The cabin filter, for example, is directly behind the glovebox. Google "honda fit cabin filter replacement" and you'll find plenty of YouTube videos to guide you through the process. Same is true with about everything else as well.

Old 05-08-2019, 04:06 PM
5 Year Member
My 2002 Accord had a filter that was a PITA to swap out. The filter was inexpensive; the mechanic's cost was pure labor.
I have seen the videos on YouTube for the Fit; it looks really straightforward.

Should I swap the spark plugs to Denso or NGK iridiums?

Old 05-08-2019, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member
NGK iridiums are factory and they work great.

We have run Denso IK22's since about new with really good results. Could in theory maybe not be good for a really cold climate, but have worked well for us all these years. Slight bump in power.

Old 05-08-2019, 05:55 PM
Changing the cabin air filter is really easy.

Old 05-09-2019, 06:30 PM
5 Year Member
I am thinking of doing the tranny fluid. Honda spec's its own fluid. Can I safely use a synthetic ATF?

EDIT: Swapped out the engine and cabin filters today. Easy!

Old 05-09-2019, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member
Either use Honda fluid or a fluid that meets their spec. Do not use a generic fluid.

Most will tell you to use Honda fluid (even though the spec has changed and the original is no longer available) and that's a good choice. I would use Red Line fluid in the original Honda spec, but I'm picky about lubricants.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Either use Honda fluid or a fluid that meets their spec. Do not use a generic fluid.

Most will tell you to use Honda fluid (even though the spec has changed and the original is no longer available) and that's a good choice. I would use Red Line fluid in the original Honda spec, but I'm picky about lubricants.
I run Amsoil 0-20 and Redline MTF in my 2017 EX.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
I run Amsoil 0-20 and Redline MTF in my 2017 EX.
We run Amsoil Manual Synchromesh in our '08 Fit. Wouldn't hesitate to run Redline either. Both are great fluids.

Use Castrol Edge Titanium 5w30 for oil. Stopped sending in for lab results because tests have always been perfect. Closing in on 200k miles.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:45 AM
5 Year Member
Got the fluids changed. There's a great peace of mind knowing there is fresh, quality fluids in the keys components. Tires up next.

Old 05-15-2019, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
The original Dunlops have been swapped out. They always felt soft and sticky. When launching from a stop, it felt like the tires were stuck to the road with velcro. Driving over bumps and potholes was jarring to the rear end.

Michelin Premiers are the new tires, and they have been a delight to drive. Along with the fluid changes, the car feels a lot smoother and quieter.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
Nice! You going to keep it?

Old 05-16-2019, 09:26 AM
5 Year Member
Absolutely! The alignment mechanic made an offer yesterday.

I am now the proud owner of two Fits. The auto tranny is a turn off for some folks, but here in San Francisco, given all the hills, it is a blessing. I do take my 2017 MT out every now and then, and I've not had any issues holding the clutch on the hills.

It's comforting to know I've reset the 2006 to a nice maintenance baseline.

Edit: I just ran across this very recent Car and Driver article, which speculates that the next gen Fit may not be coming to the US.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...onfirmed-2020/

Last edited by Farrago; 05-16-2019 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member
The poor assembly quality killed it!

Quick Reply: 2007 Fit Sport AT 15,000 Mile Service