1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Maintenance needed for newly acquired '08 Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2020, 04:33 PM
Maintenance needed for newly acquired '08 Sport?

Hey friends! New '08 Sport owner here. Fantastic little car! I did the gas pedal tension spring mod already to excellent effect, SO THANKFUL I found it here.

I bought the car with 54k, but no maintenance records. What might it need now, or relatively soon? I'm used to having a maintenance schedule, and I get the Maintenance Minder concept, but without records, I assume it could have been reset without actually doing the work.

Specifically wondering about the valve adjustment - from poking around the forum, it seems this should be done anywhere between 65k-100k. I have no cold start or stall issues right now. Should I just wait for the Minder on this? And do plugs and coilpacks at the same time?

Anything else I should check or consider doing as routine maintenance, given the unknowns?

Thanks!!

Old 06-27-2020, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
Low miles! Nice find!

The MM ques for valve adjustment somewhere around the 60k mark. Trouble is that we don't know for sure it wasn't already signaled.

If it were my car, I'd just plan on doing the valve adjustment and change the plugs at 60k. Make sure to only use Denso or NGK iridium spark plugs. Those meet the factory spec. Then you'll be good to go for another 60k miles.

Other things that are due if they haven't been done before...
Brake fluid flush
Change coolant
A/C pollen filter
Engine air filter
Transmission fluid - optional, but I'd change just due to age

If you stay up on valve adjustments and spark plugs, you shouldn't need to replace the coils. We are still on our originals and knocking on the 200k mile door.

Once again, that's just what I would do. Go ahead and do a big 60k service and then you won't have to do anything but drive it for quite some time.

Old 06-27-2020, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the reply GAFIT!
A/C pollen filter is the same thing as the cabin air filter, right? Already replaced that, it was nasty.
Is the valve adjustment something a good indy mechanic can handle, or should the dealership do it? Thing is, I trust my indy a whole lot more than my local dealership...

Old 06-27-2020, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by over8gb
Thanks for the reply GAFIT!
A/C pollen filter is the same thing as the cabin air filter, right? Already replaced that, it was nasty.
Is the valve adjustment something a good indy mechanic can handle, or should the dealership do it? Thing is, I trust my indy a whole lot more than my local dealership...
Yes, cabin filter is the same thing. Valve adjustment is a very easy job on the GD Fit and your mechanic can do it.