1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

07 sport starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2021, 07:09 AM
07 sport starting issue

My 07 fit sport manual trans battery went bad. I replaced it tried to start all gauges come on, radio comes on, but i have no crank. Checked the relay, that's good. Checked all of the fuses, they are all good. Key fob works. Battery terminals are tight. The only odd thing i notice other than it not cranking is the fuel gauge goes past the full mark an stays there if the key is on. The car only has just under a half tank of gas. I know most signs point the starter as the issue but the fuel gauge has me thinking its a ground issue. I cant find a diagram or picture that shows where the ground points are.

If any one has a diagram or can point me in the right direction on finding the grounds i would appreciate it
thanks

Old 03-18-2021, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
Will it start and run if you push start it? If so, that will narrow it down to the starting circuit.

Old 03-18-2021, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by Jared592
Will it start and run if you push start it? If so, that will narrow it down to the starting circuit.
haven't tried that yet. was not sure if it hurt the engine or trans. Also going to try having the key on an the car on jackstands in neutral an jumping the poles on the starter

Old 03-18-2021, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
Yep, a pop-start won't hurt. Basically have someone push the car or get it going down hill with the manual trans in 2nd gear, clutch pressed down, and key on. When going a decent speed, dump the clutch and the car should jerk and come to life.

Old 03-18-2021, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
Put voltmeter on Battery terminals and turn key to start. if voltage drops to 9 volts while attempting to start , the replacement battery is discharged.
If not inspect wire connection to the positive terminal (under red cap)

Old 04-01-2021, 04:09 AM
Battery is fully charged. As for grounds the one on the left side of the engine is corroded. Put a new 4g ground in its place. Fuel gauge came back to life. Im starting to lean on a bad starter. Hopefully this weekend going to pull it an bench test it as i cant seam to find the posts to jump the starter to test it. To find out if it is bad or a break somewhere before it. All fuses are still good. Checked the clutch switches they are functioning. As are the relays

Old 04-03-2021, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by Thorpe991
Battery is fully charged. As for grounds the one on the left side of the engine is corroded. Put a new 4g ground in its place. Fuel gauge came back to life. Im starting to lean on a bad starter. Hopefully this weekend going to pull it an bench test it as i cant seam to find the posts to jump the starter to test it. To find out if it is bad or a break somewhere before it. All fuses are still good. Checked the clutch switches they are functioning. As are the relays
Did you get resolution on your starting issue? I just had the same situation and took to mechanic. He told me he thought it was a relay, but changing relay did not work, so he decided fuse box was bad and says he re-wired fuse box and added some fusible links as protection to his re-wiring. This makes me nervous instead of just fixing as manufacturer original, but now car starts and runs perfectly.

Old 04-04-2021, 02:20 AM
Originally Posted by nature boy
Did you get resolution on your starting issue? I just had the same situation and took to mechanic. He told me he thought it was a relay, but changing relay did not work, so he decided fuse box was bad and says he re-wired fuse box and added some fusible links as protection to his re-wiring. This makes me nervous instead of just fixing as manufacturer original, but now car starts and runs perfectly.
Havent had a chance to tear into it yet. Hoping to get into it later today

Old 04-04-2021, 06:52 PM
Well almost certain its the starter. Got the bolts out. Got it to pull off very little and it stuck in place(no where near the oil sensor ). Meaning the starter shaft is stuck in the engaged position. Ran out of time today. Next weekend removing the oil sensor an filter an beating it the rest of the way out. Testing to see if i have power at the points an ordering a new one

Old 04-09-2021, 02:09 PM
I have an 07 that also has starting issues. I made and account to reply to this thread. I am either about to reinstall my 3rd starter or install a 4th. The problem persisted with different starters and different batteries. I just tore down the front side of the car and found a -yellow with red stripe- wire that was loose/disconnected. Will post pictures/videos because I believe we may be suffering from the same issue.