1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

I'm looking to purchase a 07 Fit Base with 56k miles - Should I run away or Stay?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2021, 10:11 AM
I'm looking to purchase a 07 Fit Base with 56k miles - Should I run away or Stay?

Smalltime dealership is asking $5500 for a 07 with 55k miles. Claims he bought it at a auction, detailed it, and his mechanic is saying nothing mechanically is wrong, clean title (in Texas). He sent me almost the entire carfax which shows decent maintenance of the vehicle up to about 2018, then after that there is no history, also it doesnt state anywhere he bought it at the auction.

I've had a 09 civic lx which got totaled, and as much as I would like to replace it, it has been a literal pia as of now to find one. I had only one issue with my 09 civic that was at 100k exact before a guy ran into me and that was only the starter.

I wanted to know is this a good model to buy, what should I look for, am I paying too much, and will it last over 10 years in your opinion without spending a arm and a leg (this will be a work car so I will put at least 20-25k miles a year on it).

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-13-2021, 12:08 AM
They're fine. Usually just need oil changes, spark plugs and valve adjusts. Some of the engines develop piston slap which is annoying and disconcerting. It's a basic car, and the 07 base model doesn't have cruise control. It won't be as comfortable on the highway as your civic was. It should last, but you never know! Maybe take it to your own mechanic rather than trusting the dealers mechanic.

Old 07-13-2021, 03:36 PM
5 Year Member
I have an 07 Fit Sport that I bought new. Also around 55K miles. It has been an extremely reliable car. Only issue other than routine maintenance and tires was a need to recharge the A/C compressor a couple years ago. If this was properly maintained, it could be a good purchase.

Old 07-14-2021, 05:10 PM
I knew I was getting a basketcase 2004 model for $600, but mine had the following issues by 100k miles (at least, indicated):
* Shot bearings in gearbox
* Stuck EGR valve
* Limp mode due to damaged TPS wire
* Clicky CV axle
* Leaky trunk
* And shortly after, a dead alternator
* Rear defroster not working (just remembered this one)

This could be one of a million lemons of course, that's why I bought it but these seem like issues that might come up. Only the gearbox is expensive if you have someone else do it. For $5k, I'd check if you can get the next generation, it seems way nicer overall.

Last edited by mobby_6kl; 07-17-2021 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-17-2021, 05:28 PM
Ive tried for months to find a price that good on one near me. Just saying.
Ended up with an 07 sport with 130k on it for $4500

Old 08-09-2021, 01:35 PM
Did you get it? I'm a musician in Austin. My wife bought an '07 Fit Sport recently with 127k miles for $4200. Great little car with a LOT of room for equipment! I drove it to NY last month. The car had no problems and averaged about 38mpg.

Old 08-10-2021, 03:33 PM
I purchased a 2008 Fit, used, just this March 2021, with 143,000 kms on it.
I've done some maintenance things to it, valve adjustment, new spark plugs, replaced air filters, changed the engine oil and filter. Had a mechanic replace the rear brakes, and transmission fluid.
Next is wheels and tires, but love my little car, and excellent on gas.
It has been a great car so far, I love it.

I thought I may be in over my head doing the plugs, and valve adjustment myself, but I read up on it, watched a few youtube videos, and tackled it. Went smooth and easy, was actually enjoyable. Proud feeling to be a young woman, and tackle some of my own maintenance.
Had i owned a fluid transfer pump, I likely would have changed my own transmission fluid as well, but the fill plug is in an awkward position, making it impossible to just pour in the new oil. I did go buy the fluid at the local honda dealership, along with new brake shoes and drums. Took those to a mechanic who is a friend, he did the work for me at his home shop, while I painted his new shed, so we swapped labor, not money.
Unlike my last vehicle, a 2016 Tacoma, purchased new, and plagued by problem after problem, this car is ultra reliable, uses half the gas, cheaper to insure, parts cost less, and again I love it.

Old 10-30-2021, 06:07 PM
Nice job. Was worried about doing the plugs on the Jazz (or Fit as you guys know it). Mine is idsi engine with eight sparkplugs, with difficult to reach ones at the back. Is yours also that model?