1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Differences between the base and S model

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 02:10 PM
Differences between the base and S model

First off,

Hello to everyone. I'm new to the site although I've been a pirate for the last couple weeks just reading and getting reviews. I have been going back and fourth about what vehicle I could get that would adequately replace my Forester with it's capabilities minus a few and well...........I want a FIT!! I've been w/out a Honda for too long now and the "itch" is deffinetly there to have one again that is more practical than my previous ones. So the Fit offers enough space for my family and I and also allows me great fuel economy to get to work......Great deal!!

But while looking through the classifieds I really could not spot anything other than the exterior aero package that comes on the Fit "S" model that does not come on the base or is atleast an option.

Are there any significant differences?

Thanks for the input and I'm looking forward to actually getting a Fit.

NBP 07-08 5 Speed Sport model is what I'm looking for currently.

Nick.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:20 PM
5 Year Member
Welcome to the site!

There are a few significant differences between the base and Sport model of the Fit. One of which is, like you mentioned, the body kit and spoiler. Secondly is that the Sport comes with fog lights. Third, it might not apply to you since you're looking a 5-speed, but the Automatics come with a "Sport Mode" that replaces the typical D1, D2, D3 type gears. Instead the driver can use steering wheel mounted paddle shifters to manually shift the car. Sport model also gets leather wrapped steering wheel, mp3 capable CD player, Auxiliary input (for plugging in your iPod), cruise control, keyless entry... Basically all that you'd want in a car.

Good luck and hopefully you get that NBP!

Old 09-04-2008, 02:24 PM
Nevermind, Super Mario beat me to it! Not only that he put in things I had forgot.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:43 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
You forgot the alloy wheels...

Those and the cruise control are worth the $1000 difference in price, to me.

And, the cute little spoiler on the back of the roof...

Old 09-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Excellent!! Honestly, I think the Fit without the aero styling and alloys looks like crap aside the DX trim level Fit. So that's what I'm shooting for. Hopefully sometime around Income Tax Season I'll be hunting even further.

As of right now there are no NHBP Type S models in a 5 speed within 300 miles!! lol. It's like they were limited production in the North Country and our local Honda stealership does not even have 1 on their whole lot for me to test drive grrr!!

But thank you for the info, I'll deffinetly continue to "lurk" for a while until I can enter in properly with my own Fit.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:35 PM
DONT FORGET!!!! the stereo has more wattage too & it plays mp3/wma cd's

Old 09-04-2008, 05:46 PM
5 Year Member
^ and the sport has 6 speakers, the base has 4.

the sport also comes with keyless entry.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Yes I did notice that, 200watt factory 6 speaker stereo with Ipod hookups or MP3 jacks. Not too shabby. Ohh and Keyless, how I miss keyless entry. I had my beautiful DB7 (4 door Integra Sedan) that had keyless and all options and now...........a damn Subaru tank. I want me some MPG's!!

With the way I drive the Forester I'm able to get 30mpg's consistently with a best of 31.6mpg. In a Fit, those #'s would be 45-50 easily!! Cant wait to see though.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
yes the NHBP sport manuals were hard to find in stock when I got mine. I Finally found a dealer with one in stock though, Sooo Worth it! I have owned an Audi and an Acura Legend, and the fit is just as fun if not a little more fun to drive. the sport's radio also displays cd trak titles if the cd has text files, kinda nice. I use the MP3 jack every day, and the Cuise and keyless entry make the sport option worth every penny.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Sounds great!! I'm really really looking forward to getting another Honda. It will be my 7th or 8th, cant remember at the moment but I'm deffinetly going to keep my eyes out for a Sport model.

I looked at the 09 briefly at the dealership on Friday and even my wifey who knows nothing about cars said that it would look much better if she could just smash out the 2 front triangular windows lol, I'm deffinetly with her on that one but she's encouraging me very much to get another Honda. "Anything but this damn Wagon/Suv Subaru!!" lol which I just have to agree on as if its a disappointment haha.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:49 AM
You might want to try looking for a vehicle in the AlbanyTroy area. My son goes to college in Troy, and occasionally driving past the dealership there I have seen Fits on the lot. And why don't you consider some other color as well? I have the Milano Red and think it's pretty good looking.

The cruise control was very important to me and my wife, and that helped us decide on the Sport. Also, to my eye the base looks too much like an Aveo, whereas the Sport is really sharp looking, particularly with the alloy wheels.

Regarding mileage, I've been averaging just over 40 mpg by driving conservatively. I think you really have to employ some serious hypermiling techniques to get much over that. Still, 40 is great mpg. BTW, I also went from a Subaru (Legacy wagon) to a Fit. I'm getting ready to take on my first Vermont winter in a FWD vehicle. I will be putting on the snow tires soon. I got Bridgestone Blizzaks from Tire Rack. I think that dedicated snow tires are a necessity in the Northeast.

Good luck in your search.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:04 PM
Nek Fit...

Welcome to the Vermont winters. I've been working in VT for over a year now and lets just say that they do not know what Salt is over here. Blizzaks are great tires and hopefully those will provide you with enough security on the icy roads over here. I survived with my slammed Integra with some Michelin Ice-X's so you should/will be fine with the Blizzaks and a stock suspension setup.

I am considering other colors as well, like Blaze Orange Metalic lol. I've owned a few Milano Red HOndas and over the years the plastic pieces tend to go to "Milano pink" lol. But still not ruling them out for sure.

Nick.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Juliane
You forgot the alloy wheels...

Those and the cruise control are worth the $1000 difference in price, to me.

And, the cute little spoiler on the back of the roof...
$1000?

It was more like $3000 where I bought my Base Fit. The cheapest Sport I could find locally was $17k and some change (+tax, etc.), and that one had 38,000 miles on it and reeked of weed... at the dealership!

The only thing I wanted a Sport for was the cruise. I just couldn't justify the added expense for things I didn't really need. I used the left over money for keyless entry and alarm (Bernardi for less than $200), window tint, all-season mats, cargo mat, door sill trim (which I didn't know I needed until I'd had the car for a couple of weeks), rear bumper applique, gas, etc.

Last edited by E = Mc2; 09-22-2008 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Fer got sumfin
Old 09-23-2008, 08:01 AM
Yeah the mark up is about $1800 around here. There is an 07 with 1 mile on it in milano red and they are asking $16,480 for it compaired to a base for like $14,200

Old 09-23-2008, 09:56 AM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Where has it been for 3 years??? In cold storage??? Weird.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:32 AM
Lol, I'm not sure. It's located in around the 12901 zip code roughly 200-300 miles away from me. Possibly the mileage is off and they just did not update it? I'm honestly not sure but paying sticker price for a car that has been sitting for 2 years is a bit ridiculous to me.

I'll see if I can find the add.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:55 AM
Originally Posted by one bad dx
Nek Fit...

Welcome to the Vermont winters. I've been working in VT for over a year now and lets just say that they do not know what Salt is over here. Blizzaks are great tires and hopefully those will provide you with enough security on the icy roads over here. I survived with my slammed Integra with some Michelin Ice-X's so you should/will be fine with the Blizzaks and a stock suspension setup.

I am considering other colors as well, like Blaze Orange Metalic lol. I've owned a few Milano Red HOndas and over the years the plastic pieces tend to go to "Milano pink" lol. But still not ruling them out for sure.

Nick.
Hi Nick,
I've actually lived up here for five winters. My Subaru had Blizzaks on it too. Great tires. I got a Fit in part because a friend bought an '07, put snows on it, used it through a winter, and told me it was fine. Both my wife and I work out of our home, so we don't have to commute and can generally pick and choose when we want to be out on the road, so we tend to wait until the snowplows have done their work before venturing out.

Regarding color, I had heard about the MR tending to pink out over time. I garage mine and plan to keep a good coating of wax on it (though I don't know if wax will really prevent color fade). My sister-in-law has a BOM and loves the color. A friend got one in BBP. That's one color I honestly don't care for -- reminds me too much of Grape Kool-Aid. Silver seems kind of blah. I like the Vivid Blue and the black, though the latter would always look dirty here on our unpaved roads. I'm very happy with the MR -- it makes the Fit look that much sportier.

My experience with price: I just bit the bullet and paid MSRP. The closest dealer, near Barre, sells their allotment of Fits before they even reach the dealership -- people put down payments on them sight unseen. Not much room to dicker under those conditions. Because of the high demand, the dealer didn't have any on the lot, and I couldn't even test drive one. So I drove my friend's Fit and then made my decision. I phoned the dealership, and they happened to have a MR Sport on order, so I put a deposit on it.

So far (5 months and 5K miles) I have been completely happy with the car. I'd call it the nicest, most fun-to-drive vehicle I've ever owned. Plenty of acceleration. Good looking -- I enjoy washing the car, just so that I can admire its funky yet sporty lines. The "Magic Seats" are superb; my wife and I can take our son, and all his stuff, to college in the car -- and still get 40 mpg.

Well, good luck with your search and let us know what you decide to do.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:56 PM
Thank you very much for the write up, Barre is quite out there lol. I work in Essex jct but travel over from Dannemora NY to get here so it's a long commute. But it's reassuring to know that it handles quite well in the white powder, that was my biggest concern about giving up the AWD vehicle I have now.