1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

backache

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 04:38 AM
5 Year Member
backache

Has anybody else developed low back pain after changing to a fit ?
No matter how I have adjusted the seat, I have this problem. It is not due to any other medical problem or injury.

I am curios if I am the odd one out.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:39 AM
nope...........

Old 09-09-2008, 06:12 PM
No back pain, but on long drives my leg always cramp up because the seat is too low in relation to the pedals for me.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
I do but only during really long drives of a couple of hours or more at a time. But then thats more or less the norm for any car. Sit in the same position for hours straight and your back will tighten up.

I will say that it took about a month to get the seat position correct. I was having leg and ankle cramps as mentioned above by ClaytonS15.

Now I am pretty much used to the car.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
I already have back problems(compressed disk) but I never get back pain when I drive unless I did something before hand that irritated it. Just have some natural herbs.. they help

Old 09-09-2008, 09:59 PM
Banned
If you look under "inflatable lumbar support" at Amazon.com, you will find several cures for your problem. I bought an inflatable cushion from there that works great. The one I bought attaches to the seat, underneath my sheepskin seat cover, and uses an elastic strap to hold it in place. It has a bulb to pump it up, with a relief valve to let out the air when necessary. For me, I do not even need to pump it up for comfort.. I bought the more expensive pad offered by Amazon (the $30.00 one), but as I said I don't even need to pump it up- it works fine with the uninflated thickness.

AutoSportCatalog.com - Products For Everyone Who Drives! 800-953-0814 has another lumbar support made of wire mesh that I will bet also works fine. The stock seats really aren't that bad, and you won't need too much pad thickness to solve your comfort problem.

Last edited by manxman; 09-10-2008 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:58 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
yeah the seats lack good lumbar support.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:09 AM
I've owned 2 cars before and they all had adjustable lumbar support. Those really help out. The fit is decent, but it needs just a tad more padding.
I hurt my lowerback about 2 years ago and i suffer from chronic back pain which gets better/worse depending on what i do. The fit did a fairly OK job on my recent 6 hour drive, but could be better.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
An Obus Forme seat cushion will give you the proper contour for your back.

Chris

Old 09-10-2008, 03:38 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
problem with the fit is that it was made for a shorter person with short legs,
i think. when i sit comfortably the steering wheel was too far... so
i extended the steering wheel using spacers and aftermarket steering
wheel. it's comfy now.

you might want to try this 'wedge' behind your lower back. dont use it
as the pict. just sandwich it between your lower back and seatback.

wife and i are using this thing on my legacywgn with great success.

AutoSport Catalog - AutoSport Wedge Cushions - AutoSport Wedge Cushion 800-953-0814

Old 09-14-2008, 01:19 AM
5 Year Member
haha when i saw the name of this thread i thought it said bukake

Old 09-14-2008, 01:24 AM
5 Year Member
i'm pretty comfy actually.. i drive 400 miles a week at least.. at least 80 miles weekdays.. maybe it's the jdm console

i'm also 6'2"

Old 09-18-2008, 02:47 PM
I'd read about a few back complaints and even bought a lumbar pillow (impulse buy, it was on sale :P ).

But... I haven't had to use it. I've done two road trips in my Fit so far (Ventura County to Vegas, Ventura County to Nor Cal) and haven't had a backache.

I did have to stretch my legs during the Vegas trip but that's one reason I like cruise control

~ Eileen

Old 09-18-2008, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
the Fit's seats never gave me a back-ache. but this morning as i was leaning downward to get into my car, i sneezed and strained the s.hit out of my upper right lateral muscle... seats though, :thumbsup:

Old 09-18-2008, 07:01 PM
Isolated event

Originally Posted by seizure
No matter how I have adjusted the seat, I have this problem. It is not due to any other medical problem or injury.

One time I did experience some discomfort in my lower back after a day of driving the Fit. Fortunately this has only happened once, but I will probably keep a lumbar support pillow in the car in case I should experience it again. Adjustable lumbar support for the drivers seat is a pet peeve of mine and I was NOT happy at all to find the Fit not having it.

Generally I find the front seats very comfortable and it wasn't a "deal breaker" for me. Varying the positon of the seat back may be helpful in finding a comfortable position as well.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
I noticed the lack of lower back support when I drove my car home from the dealership, about a 40 minute drive. Since I didn't accept the "offer" they made me on my trade-in, I ended up making another trip back to the dealer to pick my old car up, and it was on that trip back out that I really found the seats to be a problem. Since I was planning on a 300-mile trip the next day, I experimented a bit with a rolled-up towel, and that worked great. I have since found that if I scoot my butt back in the seat rather than just plunking down, my back doesn't hurt as much. Long term, I'm going to put some upholstry foam in the seat back, but I need to research the airbag and sensor system first.

HF

Old 10-02-2008, 12:06 AM
link!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by manxman
The one I bought attaches to the seat, underneath my sheepskin seat cover, and uses an elastic strap to hold it in place. It has a bulb to pump it up, with a relief valve to let out the air when necessary.
Manxman provide me with a link if you will. I've purchased hundreds of things on Amazon but finding that one product can sometimes be daunting. The one thing my 85 MR2 has on the fit, other than a 90cu/ft cargo capacity, is an adjustable lumbar support.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I am 5'9" and the seats feel like they were custom-made for me. I find everything super-comfortable, including the headrests. I have NO complaints about the seats, steering wheel adjustment, foot room, or anything else. I love the car and the seats are fine for me!

Old 10-02-2008, 02:36 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by feddup
Manxman provide me with a link if you will. I've purchased hundreds of things on Amazon but finding that one product can sometimes be daunting. The one thing my 85 MR2 has on the fit, other than a 90cu/ft cargo capacity, is an adjustable lumbar support.
Hey feddup-
I don't have a link, but I bought one of several inflatable lumbar supports being offered on Amazon. The ads there show several sizes of inflatable lumbar supports, and I picked the smallest, and most expensive one (mine is made in Canada, and is sold by a medical supplies company). I'll look on Amazon again, and if I can find my pad, will add the link here in a little while.

OK- here y'go 'dup. I bought this one, but you have several other choices. I like this size, and it is thick enough with no air to be comfortable. If your lower back is sore from a recent strain, you can add as much air as you need, then let is out later when the extra support is not needed. Also, I use sheepskin seat covers. It was easy to strap the lumbar support underneath the seat cover, and that keeps the support from moving around when you get in & out of the car.

http://www.amazon.com/INFLATABLE-LUM...2972728&sr=8-2

Last edited by manxman; 10-02-2008 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
Check out this product...

Originally Posted by seizure

My wife also has problem with the Fit seats, however she found a solution that makes her happy. Check out this inflatable back belt:

http://drwilliamgrosso.com/cart/inde...&products_id=4

What's nice about this product is that you can place it exactly where you want it, and you can pump in the support to exactly the pressure you need. Also, the cool thing about this belt is that when she goes from one car to another, the belt goes with her. She recommends it to all her friends.

-macbuddy-

Last edited by macbuddy; 10-03-2008 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Fixed Link to Back Belt

Quick Reply: backache