1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Rattling of dashboard or windshield.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 02:53 AM
5 Year Member
Rattling of dashboard or windshield.

I have noticed a rattling in my car. It is either coming from the dashboard or windshield. I can't really tell which one is rattling. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there anything that can be done to fix it?

Old 09-29-2008, 05:29 AM
5 Year Member
zomg must resist the urge!

use the search feature located to the upper right hand portion of your screen.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:34 AM
5 Year Member
I absolutely had this problem on my new 2008 Fit. I took the car back to Honda several times, but to no avail. Finally, I told the service department that it was either fix the rattle or I wanted to talk to the manager about a refund. They put their top service technician on the job who had to go into the dash. What was rattling was a wiring cable for the air conditioning.
Be persistent. If you want to be rattle-free, keep going to the top.

Last edited by cargirl2B; 10-22-2008 at 06:03 AM.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:45 AM
Take a look at this thread about rattles in the Fit:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...g-diy-fix.html

In my own experience, I've had a rattle or two in my fit. One was caused by a rattling, unsecured AC cable behind the glove box. You can get to this by removing everything from the glovebox. Then, press the left and right sides of the back of the glovebox together to allow it to fall all the way to the floor. Check to see that all cables back there are properly secured. I found that one of the cables with a large grey connector located closest to the opening of the glovebox was not clipped in place properly. When I pressed this grey connector back into place, the constant rattle I was hearing when moving over 60 mph ceased to exist.

I also got a creaking from the dash to go away by wedging paper between the dash and the console under the HVAC controls. Not too elegant, but it works.

I've also got some rattles from the windows over hard bumps, but I live in pothole world (the Boston area) and my car has 52,000 miles on it so it's to be expected to some degree. The dash one used to drive me crazy, but it is a fixable problem. There is another thread somewhere that mentions adding foam or some sort of material between the dash and the windshield, but I believe that would involve removing the dash to accomplish. Good luck with the rattles!

Old 09-29-2008, 12:19 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, go to Michael's art store to get some EZ felt.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
Thanx for all of you advice. I'm going to go to the dealership, and hope they help. I haven't had the best of experiences there so far.We will see

Old 10-05-2008, 12:28 PM
Just so you know there is a new bulletin for the dash rattling near the windshield....

I also wouldn't request it unless you actually have the rattle as the fix is to remove the entire dash and insulate a few areas that contact is occuring...removing the dash is a big job for a little rattle and you may be chancing other cosmetic damage or other noises as a result...but there is a bulletin.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:51 PM
guys its a freaking car u dont live in the thing. dont make an ass out of urself by hassling the dealer. mine rattles like crazy when the intake opens up lol. just live with it.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:38 PM
source?

Originally Posted by CRXsi#32
Just so you know there is a new bulletin for the dash rattling near the windshield....
I'm not for a second questioning your knowledge but is there a way that regular Honda owners, fitfreaks whatever could get access to these bulletins? I'd like access to general knowledge that Honda kicks out. My Fit is COMPLETELY SILENT as far as rattles etc. but these bulletins from Honda might be some precious information for Fit owners.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:10 AM
5 Year Member
Where can I find the bulletin?

Old 10-07-2008, 10:50 AM
The service bulletin for the noise is really not helpful. It's for an upper windshield molding noise. I work at a dealer and bought my Fit in July of 2006. Not long after I noticed the noise in my dash. I work here and have had it in numerous times and even talked to Honda about this problem. I check frequently for updates on the noise and they have posted nothing about it. As it gets close to winter (as I live in NE Ohio) I dread what other strange noises will come to life out of my dash....we have had other customers come in with the same problem, and nothing seems to be a common fix.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:51 PM
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr.../tsbsearch.cfm

tsb's - technical service bulletins.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:06 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
There is one simple solution to dash rattles, it's free, and it works great!

It's called your CD player.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:43 PM
5 Year Member
I accept it with the cooling of temps, the whole thing rattles and i wait til spring and boom gone. The dealer didn't do anything 2 years ago when i took it in about 10 times for them to fix it.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:29 PM
although it is just a car, i would hate to drive around in something that rattles, especially it being a brand new car, i paid good money for my fit and i would like for it to work properly with out it making any noises..
have you fixed the problem??

Old 10-12-2008, 09:11 AM
The link above is for recalls and not TSB's as far as I know.They ask for an NHTSA # as the first criteria which is usually a recall item. It may be that the TSB's they state are their TSB's not the manufacturers. TSB's from the manufacturer is technical service bulletin that are common issues, recalls are safety issues that the government makes the manufacturer fix.

All data and Mitchell on demand are 2 sources that come to mind that list TSB's...you have to pay for a yearly subscription however.

There is also a wind noise/rattle at the top of the windshield bulletin however there is a new one that came out within the last couple week for a rattle from the dash. As I stated earlier the fix is to remove the dash and insulate all affected contact points.

Last edited by CRXsi#32; 10-12-2008 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:23 AM
Here is an example of ALL Data..http://www.alldatadiy.com/recalls/.
It won't list any of the actual info unless you pay but shows you what bulletins they have on file. There is usually a bit of delay between the manufacturer having a TSB and them releasing it to third party companies such as ALL Data. The bulletin I am referring to is not showing up on the ALL Data site but like I said it only came out on the Honda side within the last couple weeks.

I will try and at least get the bulletin number this week if I can for you guys.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
I have a rattle at the front of the dash too. I found that it's from that foam material between the windshield and dash. I put something in that gap and the noise is gone. Try to use your hand and put light pressure at the front of dash when rattle to locate the problem.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:54 PM
I have a rattle too. However, I found it pretty easy. It's between the dash and the windshield on the far right hand corner...in front of passenger. I folded a micro-fiber cloth (that I use for keeping the plastics dust and finger print free) and placed it between. As I pushed it in place, I could almost hear a small creak noise. The rattle at times is quite noticable. With the cloth in place, I have absolutely no rattle no matter how big the bump.

Im thinking about taking it in and leaving the cloth in place so they now where to apply the fix.

I get annoyed by rattles...but still love my Fit!

Old 10-21-2008, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
Ditto for me! I have started noticing rattles in my 2008 Sport more and more often now, I just haven't had the time to try to figure out where they are coming from...

Quick Reply: Rattling of dashboard or windshield.