1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Rattling of dashboard or windshield.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 08:17 PM
In case you are curious the Canadian bulletin number is IX-2-08 and is dated Apr.4/08. (I am going to assume the US has the same bulletin...not sure if it is the same number). It is to resolve a rattle at the base of the windshield where the dash meets the body/body insulation below the windshield.

As I stated before just be aware that the fix is to fully remove the dash and insulate all contact points with felt tape or similar. There are ribs on the underside of the dash that are contacting on the body and/or insulation causing a rattle under certain conditions.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:56 PM
It would be nice if AHM and HMC would share tech info between the two countries, but they don't. And "techline" (Hondas help desk for dealer techs) has been absolutly no help. Today was the first "chilly" day of the season here (around 38-40F) and I am convinced it must of been someones last day at the Suzuka assembly plant when they put the dash in my car. (05/2006) I waited to buy this car BECAUSE it was 100% Japan built. I really love my Fit, but the noise is horrible. Blaring my Ipod, XM, CD etc. is not an acceptable fix either. Looks like the quality is starting to slip like it has for the U.S. and Canada built Hondas. (Check out the recalls on the 06-current Civic if you wonder what I mean by that) My old dog CRX Si has less creaks n rattles. I would trade it on a new one if the 2009 Fit didn't look like a rejected 4dr version of the terrible Great Brittian built 02-05 run of the Civic Si HB. I'm just disappointed considering I work for Honda and have owned many in the past. Yes, they have all had a "quirk" here and there, but I really don't want my dash removed from my car numerous times and "guess" on what is causing all the noises.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:20 PM
I felt around for anything plastic that could be tapping on other pieces while driving. Anything that was within half inch of each other. I put in a couple of folded rubber pieces to wedge between them. I drove around tonight and it is somewhat better. I plan on adding a couple more pieces inside the dash.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
With this weather change, I am having a heck of a time with some really plastic sounding rattles and buzzes around my dash. Somewhere near the half dome above the gauges is a major rattling and buzzing. I've yet to pinpoint the exact area where the noises are coming from, but I now keep little foam rubber strips in the glove compartment for the very purpose of putting bandaids on these rattles when I do pinpoint them.

If there is one and only one serious complaint I have with my Fit it is that rattles keep popping up and irritating me so.

CarGirl

Last edited by cargirl2B; 10-28-2008 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:54 PM
Mine buzzes too, the airbag cover, or the dome over the dash. It goes away in warmer weather, but shows up on cold mornings. It bugged me, but not enough to do anything about. It's present maybe 10% of the time.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:18 AM
5 Year Member
Not sure if it was ever mentioned in this or other threads:

I've narrowed my rattling down to the dashboard defroster vent. It moves ever so slightly and contacts the dashboard with no padding between.

Earlier in the winter I wedged bunches of foam underneath the dash from below but I'll continue to add more.

I've tried to add some padding between the vent and dashboard from above, but just can't get any pieces in the right place.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by p1driftfiend
Not sure if it was ever mentioned in this or other threads:

I've narrowed my rattling down to the dashboard defroster vent. It moves ever so slightly and contacts the dashboard with no padding between.

Earlier in the winter I wedged bunches of foam underneath the dash from below but I'll continue to add more.

I've tried to add some padding between the vent and dashboard from above, but just can't get any pieces in the right place.
It sounds to me like it might be coming out of one of the vents too. Either way it sounds pretty hard to find I was surprised my Altima had no squeaks or rattles. The Fit would feel just as tight if it wasn't for this

Old 03-26-2010, 11:34 PM
i have rattle issues under my front dash but i just got lazy to resolve the issue and just dealt with it for the past 2 yrs..

Old 03-26-2010, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
I just dropped my tire pressure a few pounds and no rattle..... It didn't hurt my handling or fuel mileage either, in fact both have improved and is more comfortable

Old 01-29-2011, 04:01 PM
This rattle is really making me crazy - it's a high-frequency sound almost like a bad ground or signal interference in a speaker. Anyone know how to remove the dash cover? My garage is full of building materials so I don't know if I can do such a big job outside.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
Foam rod insulation shoved into the gap between the windshield and front of the dash seems to have eliminated the rattles from my dash... I got it at Lowe's and have bought it at Home Depot in the past

Old 04-01-2011, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
Foam rod insulation shoved into the gap between the windshield and front of the dash seems to have eliminated the rattles from my dash... I got it at Lowe's and have bought it at Home Depot in the past
Any pics to pinpoint where you put the foam?

Old 06-29-2011, 08:09 AM
I had a rattle that i thought was from dash or a-frame on window. Turns out it was the glass molding on the outside. I pushed it in and now its quiet.