1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

how-to/DIY: Base Model Cruise Control installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, what cme2c said....

Cme2c has it right. In series means one side to the brake lead tap (black/white I believe) and the other to the sense lead in the harness (brown).

I don't know why they just don't change the instructions. Seems easy enough to fix.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
well, after 6 months of daily use i can say i have not had a SINGLE issue with the kit.

there are some "quirks" in cruise resume. most notably you have to press resume and immediately let off the pedal.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
sounds gangster! Subscribed so i can read it after work =]]. 08 nhbp base ftmfw!

Old 03-10-2009, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
Still going strong

Since my install last fall I have logged about 14,000 miles, much of it on cruise. Nary a problem.

Like x98 says, cruise doesn't kick in if you keep your foot on the pedal. It does track speed very well compared to other vehicles I've had, though. And it will let you accelerate to pass despite the drive-by-wire pedal.

I don't get much better mileage on cruise, surprisingly. Highway mileage is 34-35 regardless, at sustained 70-75, which is good enough for me.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by x98myers7
alright folks, I am now the happy owner of a Rostra precision cruise kit for the Fit Base model. I bought the kit this week and installed it. I am going to cover the installation process and my impressions. I will be adding pictures/content/etc over time so check back often

user 'rushlow' has a variation of this kit for his '07 fit, but the new version is far more easy to install for the average DIY'r
Is this what yours looks like?:

I know you mentioned that my kit is a variation, mine looks like this:

that is the wireless RF switch.. did they tell you it is not compatible?
it works ok for me although apparently I have a variation of the kit lol
I don't know anything about how it works or how it is installed...
I had a shop install mine cuz I was in a crunch (in the middle of moving)
I've been meaning to look under my dash and see if I can find the darn thing.....
maybe I can find the part numbers for mine and post them here in case someone wants to try to get the one I have (with the wireless switch)
I know I've said I was gunna get pictures before... but I am SUPER LAZY and also forgot.... lol

for anyone who has or gets the wireless switch... if you dont want to drill/cut your dashboard
you can mount it onto the top(roof part) of that small compartment near your left knee/fuse box..
there is a hole/handle on the top that it clips onto firmly. its a *bit* of a reach to use... but it looks nice!

p.s. if I forget to post pictures again just pm me like 50 billion times and I'll remember
oh and also if you have any doubts about the cruise control from thecruisecontrolstore.com .... JUST GET IT - its sooo worth it!

Old 03-13-2009, 09:13 AM
5 Year Member
Not busting your chops but I just want to mention that a 2009 fit sport is only $1500 more then the 2009 base model.

if the cruise control is $300 its some what borderline, if it makes sense to buy a base model and void warranties by cutting wires.

BUT i guess if you already have a base, you dont really have that choice anymore.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:29 AM
5 Year Member
$1500 is alot of money, some people dont need all the other bells and whistles that come with the sport This is for people that already own a base model or lx with no cruise control and want an affordable solution.

Last edited by rushlow; 03-13-2009 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Spelling...
Old 03-13-2009, 09:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rushlow
$1500 is alot of money, some people dont need all the other bells and whisles that come with the sport This is for people that already own a base model or lx with no cruise control and want an affordable solution.
well put

Old 03-13-2009, 04:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by benmunger
Not busting your chops but I just want to mention that a 2009 fit sport is only $1500 more then the 2009 base model
you are absolutely right. when i bought mine, there were no sports available in manual trans.

i didn't have a choice. needless to say, not a day doesn't go by that i don't regret buying a base model. but again, i didn't have a choice at the time.

for $1500 more the sport is an insanely great bargain. not to mention it looks a shitload better

just my $.02

Old 04-03-2009, 01:49 PM
I also owns the Rostra precision cruise kit for the Fit Base model and I'm really happy with it. I got mine installed for free!

I went to carmax to buy a car and I found a Fit 2008 Base, less than 14000 miles sold new in July 2008. They had it listed by mistake with Cruise Control. When I noticed I complained about it and they offered to install the CC for me for free. So I ended getting the CC and the Audiovox Keyless entry Installed by Carmax as part of the deal.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by ctitanic
I also owns the Rostra precision cruise kit for the Fit Base model and I'm really happy with it. I got mine installed for free!

I went to carmax to buy a car and I found a Fit 2008 Base, less than 14000 miles sold new in July 2008. They had it listed by mistake with Cruise Control. When I noticed I complained about it and they offered to install the CC for me for free. So I ended getting the CC and the Audiovox Keyless entry Installed by Carmax as part of the deal.
that's awesome.

yeah i bought my fit from a family member for a really good price. so i didn't really have a choice. i drive about 5 hours to and from school every few weeks, and i honestly don't even mind not having cruise. i did initially, but now my foot is just conditioned i think. haha

Old 04-23-2009, 12:58 PM
VSS wire

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the radio has a VSS wire tapped into it for the vehicle speed controlled volume. the wire is the purple/white wire, pin 13 on the 17 pin harness. That's where I picked up VSS for my nav unit anyways. I'm not saying the radio is EASY to get out, but maybe easier than going out through the firewall and down to the tranny. Let me know if there are any ideas on this.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:11 AM
5 Year Member
that's entirely possible. i don't have a helms manual or pinout to confirm.

best bet would be to check continuity between ECU pin and radio harness

Old 04-27-2009, 10:57 PM
re:vss wire

I haven't tested continuity on the wire, but I will say it works great for my Nav unit as the vss wire..... So I'm pretty sure that wire will work properly for the cruise control module. At the same time though, getting that radio is an absolute pain.... I used to do car electronics installations and I do not wish fit's on any installer out there.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by Lreeder84
I haven't tested continuity on the wire, but I will say it works great for my Nav unit as the vss wire..... So I'm pretty sure that wire will work properly for the cruise control module. At the same time though, getting that radio is an absolute pain.... I used to do car electronics installations and I do not wish fit's on any installer out there.
I do have to admit that the first time you pull the radio it is a pain, but once you know how (not that many people pull it more than once), it isn't that bad. The first time I pulled mine was to install a Parrot Bluetooth kit. The second time was to tap the speaker wires to install a subwoofer. The second time probably took less than 10 minutes to get the stereo out.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:38 AM
Tap up?

Originally Posted by x98myers7
alright folks, I am now the happy owner of a Rostra precision cruise kit for the Fit Base model.

I did some searching and decided to purchase the rostra kit (part 250-1896) from www.thecruisecontrolstore.com.
Does the cruise have the capability to tap up/ tap down in 1 mph increments?

Old 11-12-2010, 12:15 AM
I am REALLY considering this kit. Can someone explain to me the wireless controller? Is it something you purchase in addition to the kit found here?

Honda Fit 2007-2010 w/ABS

This is really appealing because I don't want to drill anything on a car that I just bought two days ago. I'm adding keyless entry and cruise (if not too much of a pain), then my base model will be complete :]

Old 11-21-2010, 09:13 AM
Has anyone thought of buying the Rastro cruise kit and instead of using that control switch using the Honda OEM part 36770-SLN-A01, found here? Does anyone think that might work?

Old 12-23-2010, 09:22 PM
I just ordered the cruise kit. Report (and maybe questions) to follow.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:30 AM
I received my kit a few days ago and yesterday started the install. I got all the dash panels removed and tapped into the throttle wires without much hassle.

Then I got confused. I couldn't find the igntion wire, the clutch -/+, or the brake -/+ based on the pictures. It got dark outside, so I jumpered the throttle wires back together so I could continue to drive the car.

Any help as to where to locate these wires? I looked at the PDF on their website and it isn't much help either. Part of the problem could be the akward position I have to get in to see under the dash. Help!

Here's the PDF link
http://www.thecruisecontrolstore.com/1855.pdf

Quick Reply: how-to/DIY: Base Model Cruise Control installation