1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Fit in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 05:30 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by kenchan
kamakurakid- you should go back to japan. lol (your name).
Believe me some days I wish I was in Japan. Nine years was enough, or was it? One odd thing is when I lived for two years in Sapporo, they do not ice or sand the roads. Everyone has winter tires on their vehicles. The winter shoes-boots worn by many Japanese even have the same rubber tread and compound used on the tires, in a smaller version of course. These shoes-boots are even sold under the brand name of a tire company, say Yokohama Tire for example. One wonders if we in NA would buy Firestones for our feet?

I stole KamakuraKid from the movie The Cincinnati Kid and the later offshoot from the CBC comedy show Kids in the Hall: The Toronto Kid.

KK

Old 10-25-2008, 05:39 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by JCLW
I always put winter tires on separate rims. It saves the mounting/dismounting wear and tear twice a year. Plus if you break one of your TPMS sensors you're out $100. And you can just change between summers/winters yourself easily.

The stock steel rims work perfectly for winter tires. If you use aftermarket steel wheels keep in mind our hub bore is 56.1mm.

Between winter and summer? Tread compound is probably one of the most important differences - tread compound in summer tires becomes overly hard/stiff below freezing, whereas the tread compound in winter tires is designed to remain soft/flexible down to -40.

A lot of winter tires have deeper treads. But the tread design is also different - often in all-seasons the snow will get stuck/packed between the tread blocks (making it basically a bald tire), whereas a correctly designed winter tire will clear the tread blocks as it rotates.

Winter tires also have "sipes" - little cuts/grooves all over the tread blocks. When you're driving on ice it's the corners of the tread blocks that actually grip the ice, so all these little sipes act as little "ice grippers".

These are what we have on my wife's Echo (Goodyear Nordic in Canada aka UltraGrip 500 in Scandinavia):

You can see the aggressive tread blocks, as well as all the sipes.

Note that different winter tire designs will perform better in different conditions. Some will do better in snow (like the Goodyear Nordics) and some will do better on ice (Like the Michelin X-Ices). But any winter tire will do much better then any all-season tire.

There are so many different factors that it is really hard to determine exact fuel economy changes. Colder temps = more fuel burned. Driving though snow = more drag = more fuel burned. Slightly different tire sizes, etc. For the Echo I'd say it burns ~3% more fuel running with winter tires.
I was in Canuk Tire last week seeking their winter tires for a quote. They looked on the CT computer for winter tires and steelies, no steelies or winter tires are shown. So they refused to sell me anything. I had the tire size, the rim size and all the facts. They sent me to another tire dealer down the street. Also, they said they would refuse to install the tires on the Fit without the TPMS sensor as it creates some legal issues in the case of an accident. When CT goes under, I know why.

Odd really, I simply wanted a quote to satisfy my wife as it is her Fit. I ended up dealing with a local guy who really knows his tires and someone I can buy the replacements for the unimpressive Bridgestones which came with the Sport Fit 2007. We have put 30K on this car in 13 months. Never give fuel costs a second thought, off to the mountain areas every weekend.

Last edited by kamakurakid; 10-25-2008 at 05:39 PM. Reason: removed pics for reply
Old 10-25-2008, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
For reference, my CT quoted for the Goodyear Nordics (175/65R14):
- $400 tax included for tires + balancing + installation
- $625 tax included for rims + tires + balancing installation

Your '07 shouldn't have TPMS?

Old 10-25-2008, 07:46 PM
Banned
For reference, my CT quoted for the Goodyear Nordics (175/65R14):
- $400 tax included for tires + balancing + installation
- $625 tax included for rims + tires + balancing installation

Your '07 shouldn't have TPMS?
I have a 2008, bought it last September. Sensors are standard.

I am looking at $750 for 15" General Tire Arctic tires, Honda (fitted) steel rims, balance and install. I think a "14 package was about $680. Still toying with getting them studded, I have a week to decide before the install. Adds $30 per tire to the bill. Calgary prices are high I believe, a mechanic at Honda Calgary makes more than a doctor. Wacked world here.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:34 AM
NMG
In my experience, the Fit is just fine in the snow. I drove mine through a full central British Columbia winter and it made it through no problem at all. I have an 07 Sport 5 speed. Our climate is pretty much the full Canadian winter. Slush in the Fall and Spring, frigid cold in the winter, ice and lots of snow (dry, wet and everything in-between).

My daily drive to work is on partial highway before getting into town. I felt no discomfort or concern driving my Fit. The key is that you have to drive to the conditions. Sometimes you are only doing 50 km/h on the highway. Sometimes you can do 100 km/h. In deep snow, just keep going slow and steady, don't get gas pedal happy or you will just spin. Keep your momentum going, avoid spinning your tires and there is very little that will stop you.

We did get one snowfall last year that dumped about 30 inches overnight and well, the Fit didn't even get started that day . . . LOL. I was plowing snow with the front bumper of my F-150 4x4, so there was no way a car would've made any progress even with winter tires. I literally had to dig my wife's Jetta out before it could move. Stuff like that will obviously stop the Fit, but I drove it pretty much every other day, including many days where we had snowfalls of up to and over 12 inches and it wasn't an issue.

The really amazing thing? I did this with the stock all-seasons. For snow I didn't actually find them that bad. For ice they were not acceptable. You really had to be careful. It could be done, but it wasn't ideal. I've since swapped them out for Nokian WR G2's and I expect the performance improvements will be significant. We had the WR's on my wife's Jetta and they were excellent in all winter conditions in addition to being great for the rest of the year.

There is no doubt that true winter rated tires will perform better in winter conditions. Do you NEED them? IMHO that depends on the conditions you'll be driving in. If you are just around town on roads that are well maintained (sanded, plowed all of the time, etc.) I think you can get by with good all seasons. If the road conditions are ever a doubt or if you venture on the highways, get winters.

Last edited by NMG; 10-26-2008 at 12:37 AM.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
Why do you say get winter tires if you're going on the highway?

In my experience, highway driving is easier in light snow than on back roads, due to no sharp turns and highways are plowed/sanded more regularly. I always see plenty of people spun out on the highway but I honestly don't know how they manage it. It's the back roads that concern me more.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:29 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Fit4Pits

In my experience, highway driving is easier in light snow than on back roads, due to no sharp turns and highways are plowed/sanded more regularly. I always see plenty of people spun out on the highway but I honestly don't know how they manage it. It's the back roads that concern me more.
Black ice I would think, really only studded tires stand a fight from what I was told by a forensic engineer who investigates vehicle accidents here in Calgary and elsewhere in Canada. He drives on studded tires all winter, uses a Swede designed tire on his German AWD cars. He says all season tires are very dangerous all year round as they do nothing well, everything is average to below average. His advice studded in winter, summer tires in the summer and stick to the tested brands and never the cheap tires found at Walmart, Canadian Tire, etc. Who can argue with someone who spends their life dealing with such matters?

Old 10-26-2008, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kamakurakid
I have a 2008, bought it last September. Sensors are standard.
Did you buy in Canada? According to the '08 Fit manual (p64) Canadian Fits don't come with TPMS.

I am looking at $750 for 15" General Tire Arctic tires, Honda (fitted) steel rims, balance and install. I think a "14 package was about $680. Still toying with getting them studded, I have a week to decide before the install. Adds $30 per tire to the bill. Calgary prices are high I believe, a mechanic at Honda Calgary makes more than a doctor. Wacked world here.
No higher than in Ottawa; the 14" tires and rims here also cost $690, +$70 for installation.

Here's a question: the service rep said I also needed to buy tire pressure valve stem caps, or something like that, at $2 each tire. Said they were needed to actually put or keep air in the tires.

Now, $8 extra isn't a big deal, but a) I've never heard of these, and b) if these things are essential to the tires, why the heck aren't they included with the rims/tires in the first place? Is this a bit of BS I'm being fed?

I've merely reserved the tires and have an appointment to install them, so I can still tell them not to include them. I also probably should've gotten the quoted prices written on paper, too.

Last edited by zukered; 10-26-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:27 PM
NMG
Originally Posted by Fit4Pits

A few things to keep in mind here (some that may or may not apply to your situation):

- I'm from central British Columbia where you literally could be travelling for hours without seeing another vehicle, a city or plows. I'd want the most security as possible in those conditions.
- Our "highways" are probably similar to your back roads in regards to terrain, hills, corners, etc. So when I speak of highways, think of that as your back roads.
- Driving in the city, at least in my experience, is often more predictable. Roads are usually well plowed, intersections are generally sanded and if you do encounter some problems, you are usually going slow enough that it's much easier to react to the situation and/or the consequences of sliding into a curb or snow bank are not all that great (at least in regards to "life and limb" type consequences). On the highway, you often don't get that chance and things can escalate REALLY quickly into a dangerous situation. There are deaths on our highways every year around here in winter, due to the conditions. I don't think I've ever heard of one related to conditions in regards to city driving.

I think it comes down to odds. For what you describe with your back roads, I'd be going with something winter rated for sure. There is no downside at all, especially when you consider what could happen if you had to use subpar tires for those condtions.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member
where abouts in Central BC are you NMG if you don't mind me asking?

I'll be making a drive probably thru your part of the world next month. I'm driving from Victoria to Edmonton the first week of next month. I'll be doing it on the OEM all-seasons and be carrying chains (well...snow "cables") with me. I grew up in Alberta and drive for a living going to rescue all those people who think they can drive in bad weather so not TOO worried about the road condtions.

As you said it's more about driving for the conditions then about what tires you have. I'm not saying that better tires designed for winter won't help...but they're not going to save your ass if your not driving appropriatly in the first place.

I'll be packed accordingly should I get stuck, should be a fun trip.

Still debating on if I'll be going hwy 5 from Kamloops or if I'll go hwy 1 thru Banff into Calgary and then up to Edmonton from there.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:41 PM
NMG
Hey Gigarange, I'm smack in the middle up in PG

I don't think you'll have any problems at that time of the year. You may run into some snow and early morning ice, but mid day temps "should" still be above zero.

I've never driven the road from Calgary up to Edmonton, but I suspect it's a breeze. I have been on the #5 down to Kamloops via #16 east of PG. The #5 is a very nice drive, although there are some stretches where you will be isolated for a while. The elevation also sneaks up a bit, but nothing too crazy.

The drive from PG east to McBride and Tete Jaune Cache (you would come out at Tete Jaune if you took the #5) can be downright goofy in the winter and moose can be a bigger concern than weather. Once you get past that a little ways and through Jasper, it's pretty much smooth sailing to Edmonton.

It may be worthwhile to make a "game time decision" on route depending on the weather and whatnot. It sounds like you know the deal with the roads up in this area and based on that, I think you'll be fine regardless of which route you take. The Fit will get you through

Old 10-26-2008, 06:04 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by zukered
Did you buy in Canada? According to the '08 Fit manual (p64) Canadian Fits don't come with TPMS.

No higher than in Ottawa; the 14" tires and rims here also cost $690, +$70 for installation.

Here's a question: the service rep said I also needed to buy tire pressure valve stem caps, or something like that, at $2 each tire. Said they were needed to actually put or keep air in the tires.

Now, $8 extra isn't a big deal, but a) I've never heard of these, and b) if these things are essential to the tires, why the heck aren't they included with the rims/tires in the first place? Is this a bit of BS I'm being fed?

I've merely reserved the tires and have an appointment to install them, so I can still tell them not to include them. I also probably should've gotten the quoted prices written on paper, too.
Must be a printed manual for the USA, someone fell asleep in the proof reading area for Canada. The 2008 Fit has TPMS in Canada, the 2007 models do not.

New valve stems are the norm for new tires now a days. Anti-up, or when you get a slow leak they will blame the valve stems.

I am looking at 15' winter wheels as I do not need the car any lower, I already have two scrapes on the front spoiler.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member
They legally have to change valve stems when they change tires.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kamakurakid
Must be a printed manual for the USA, someone fell asleep in the proof reading area for Canada. The 2008 Fit has TPMS in Canada, the 2007 models do not.
It's not just the manual; I checked on my dashboard, and there are no warning lights for low tire pressure, or to warn of a problem with the TPMS itself. I even shone a flashlight on it, in case they were indicators (like cruise control) that don't light up when starting the car, and couldn't find them that way either.

I got my Fit in May, and the VIN verifies that it is an '08.

New valve stems are the norm for new tires now a days. Anti-up, or when you get a slow leak they will blame the valve stems.
Thanks to you and JCLW for info on this; an additional $8 isn't a lot, it just seemed like one of those last-minute additions they say you have to have, which you don't. Especially since

a) no one had previously said I needed them when quoting me winter tires and rims--not either of the Honda dealerships I called before going into one of them, nor Canadian Tire; and

b) he was working off a quick written price he had done for someone else's Fit, and he *hadn't* include the valve stems in that price

Old 10-27-2008, 12:00 AM
Banned
It's not just the manual; I checked on my dashboard, and there are no warning lights for low tire pressure, or to warn of a problem with the TPMS itself. I even shone a flashlight on it, in case they were indicators (like cruise control) that don't light up when starting the car, and couldn't find them that way either.

I got my Fit in May, and the VIN verifies that it is an '08.

Thanks to you and JCLW for info on this; an additional $8 isn't a lot, it just seemed like one of those last-minute additions they say you have to have, which you don't. Especially since

a) no one had previously said I needed them when quoting me winter tires and rims--not either of the Honda dealerships I called before going into one of them, nor Canadian Tire; and

b) he was working off a quick written price he had done for someone else's Fit, and he *hadn't* include the valve stems in that price

Let some air out of one of your tires. Just to be certain.

Well you are at it, some say the fridge light stays on when the door is closed....well if you have the time maybe take a look see.

Actually you are right, I have spent the last hour looking for the TPMS on 2008 Honda Fits in Canada. I can find no confirmation, so it looks like you are correct. It appears my information comes from USA sources speaking of their USA cars. I know the 2007 model in the USA was without a TPMS, and there was my confusion I suspect. The 2008 and 2009 USA models have the TPMS of course. One wonders how we have daytime running lights for years and not TPMS lights? Not that I think TPMS lights are the best thing going, I am glad you gave me this information as I and my wife might have been confused driving around with a flat tire thinking the lights not on so....all is fine.

Of course having a low tire is the reason for the TPMS, everyone knows when they have a flat tire.

Thanks for the heads up, now what about the fridge light? I am certain it remains on.....

Old 10-27-2008, 07:17 AM
5 Year Member
The manual for my '08 says I have TPMS's??

Could it maybe be a sport thing?

We did get the 3 models here in Canada, could it just be that not all 3 models came standard with them? Which model do you have zukered?

Old 10-27-2008, 09:25 AM
5 Year Member
Just look at your valve stems.

Black rubber = no TPMS
Aluminium with nuts = TPMS

Old 10-27-2008, 09:31 AM
Banned
Just look at your valve stems.

Black rubber = no TPMS
Aluminium with nuts = TPMS
I am looking on the way to work. My 2008 Sport valves will have a going over.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:34 AM
5 Year Member
This is what they look like:

There is an aluminium nut that tightens it against the rim as well.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gigarange
The manual for my '08 says I have TPMS's??

Could it maybe be a sport thing?

We did get the 3 models here in Canada, could it just be that not all 3 models came standard with them? Which model do you have zukered?
I have an '08 LX.

What page does it say this in your manual?

Quick Reply: Fit in the snow