1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Fit in the snow

Old 10-27-2008, 08:57 PM
It might be different in Canada, but in the U.S. all cars must have the TPMS as of the 2008 model year. I was lucky enough to get the 2007 which doesn't have them.

I have to say, my Fit has been a beast the past 2 winters, and we have had some pretty wicked snow falls when the lake effect snow comes rollin' in. I drive about 70 miles round trip to work. I have never had the factory tires on my car though. They were already changed before I picked my car up new. The past 2 seasons, I was running a narrow 14" Civic steel rim with 185/70R14s. This year I will be using new Blizzak WS50s on 15" steel rims with the stock size tire (195/55R15). We'll see how they do, I'm sure they will do fine since they are dedicated snow tires but like others noted in this thread, I don't believe you will ever get great drivability (especially in snow) out of an "all-season" tire. If you live in a climate that is prone to having winters with snow/ice, get some good snows.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:24 PM
Banned
The local paper here in Calgary just had a poll, I took part in it online. 75% of all those who did take part are NOT planning on using winter tires this season. Makes no sense to me, why would someone not make their car safer for themselves and others? Is it the safety they are opposed to? What is it? Oh right, they are cheap and justify it with poor logic. I saw on the weekend an auto insurance company in Quebec is offering a 5-10% reduction in auto insurance rates IF you have winter tires on your vehicle. Winter tires needed as a fairly new law in Quebec, a smart province. As a side note, there is a shortage of winter tires in Canada now. Anti up those of you who see snow or frost in the winter.

Last edited by kamakurakid; 10-27-2008 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
Name:  DSC_0228.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  51.6 KB
Name:  DSC_0227.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  46.1 KB
Name:  DSC_0222.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  71.8 KB
Name:  DSC_0221.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  69.9 KB

All that and I never got stuck once. I run 15x6.5 Hankook Winter iPike W409 nonstudded tires

Old 11-01-2008, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
Great night shots!
Tom

Old 11-01-2008, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member
Well, here were I live we have plenty of snow in the winter so I'm probably qualfied to talk in this thread.

The law in my region states that you can not use studded tires between 15. may and 1.october. But the law also state that you should equip your car according to the weather and road conditions. So you may use studdless winter tires all year around if you like. And you can also use studded tires in August if the roads is icy and there is snow. Normaly the first icy roads apears in begining of october. But it is diffrent each year. And most of the times the first ice and snow melts away after a few days.

In the south off my country you have to pay a special tax to use studded tires inside the city borders. Studded tires tears the road up and then you got lot of dust flowing around and poluting the air.
We dont have that "studded tire tax" in the north because we have icy roads most of the winter.

I now use my 14" OEM Honda Alu wheels on my studded winter tires.
Next set off winter tires is going to be studdless because of better grip on bare roads and you can change to studdless winter tires a long time before the winter weather sets in. And the roads I drive on is mostly without ice and snow in the winter period as the ice and snow is teared away by the heavy traffic on those particular roads.

Here is a picture of my car in wintertimes. It is from 2007 when I still had the steelies;

I'll try to get more winter-pictures this winter. And now I have the alu wheels on so it looks better too

Old 11-03-2008, 02:07 PM
I only bought my FIT at the very end of last winter and had to deal with maybe two light snowfalls. Aside from that I did get to drive through Beartooth Pass in Montana in a snowstorm at 1:00 in the morning. I had no issues with the handling then, but I was also driving ridiculously slow since I didn't know the terrain or how the car would handle. I did buy winter tires for this winter because everything I read about the stock tires on the FIT sport is that they are crap in the snow. I picked up a set of four Blizzak WS60's with 14 inch rims from tirerack for $513 including shipping. I think with the amount of driving I do, 126 miles a day with about 50% on back country roads, I will be happy to have them. Spend the money, get winter tires, and feel at ease about your winter driving...

Old 11-04-2008, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
This what I hope gets us through winter this year will be the first winter with fit. Last winter we had a 06 WRX and 07 Tacoma 4x4 to play in the snow with.

They are Konig 15" Feather Gold's 11.5 lbs a piece. Tires are Continental WinterContact TS810 185/65/R15.
Reason running Nicer wheels--is that our winter is so long and I can't stand my cars looking like a$$ for 6 months with black steelies.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by F0NIX
Well, here were I live we have plenty of snow in the winter so I'm probably qualfied to talk in this thread.

The law in my region states that you can not use studded tires between 15. may and 1.october. But the law also state that you should equip your car according to the weather and road conditions. So you may use studdless winter tires all year around if you like. And you can also use studded tires in August if the roads is icy and there is snow. Normaly the first icy roads apears in begining of october. But it is diffrent each year. And most of the times the first ice and snow melts away after a few days.

In the south off my country you have to pay a special tax to use studded tires inside the city borders. Studded tires tears the road up and then you got lot of dust flowing around and poluting the air.
We dont have that "studded tire tax" in the north because we have icy roads most of the winter.

I now use my 14" OEM Honda Alu wheels on my studded winter tires.
Next set off winter tires is going to be studdless because of better grip on bare roads and you can change to studdless winter tires a long time before the winter weather sets in. And the roads I drive on is mostly without ice and snow in the winter period as the ice and snow is teared away by the heavy traffic on those particular roads.

Here is a picture of my car in wintertimes. It is from 2007 when I still had the steelies;

I'll try to get more winter-pictures this winter. And now I have the alu wheels on so it looks better too
Lots of really helpful photos on your Flicker site. Tearing apart the dash is something I cannot do, fear of putting it back together again.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
Its snowing now---in Calgary--not sure if it will amount to much.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:07 PM
Never had studded tires. BIG fine here if you do. Heck I've never even had snow tires!

I even survived a relatively bad winter in Houghton/Hancock (almost set a record of consecutive snowfall days of 4" or more per day, sun came out on the 33rd day, record was 34, it was close!). The civic had the Dunlop SP Sport A2 tires on it. NEVER went in the ditch and I drove all over them hills. Heck once I went to the town hall for a class requirement and had to go up a very steep road-- only 1st gear had the torque to get up that road even dry-- after I spent an hour digging the car out of the white crap. Went like a champ.

Bought the tires again, they apparently reformulated them with a harder rubber, and they positively sucked the second time around. Bumtastic.

Drivers are crazier down here so next winter I'm gonna run some Nokians. As for this winter, well I pretty much keep off the roads if I can when the weather turns to crud.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:43 AM
I used to live in Pennsylvania. One wintry day I was driving downhill on a fairly steep snow-covered road leading to a busy four-lane highway with semis roaring past. I was in a Subaru S/W with AWD. My tires were what came with the car: all-season radials. I was going nice and slow. I started putting on the brakes while I was still quite a distance away from the intersection. The ABS kicked in. The brakes were popping on all wheels, stuttering back and forth; I wasn't skidding, but I just plain was not going to be able to stop. Before I went out onto the highway, I put the car into a snowdrift.

I soon learned about the differences between winter and all-season tires. I bought a set of Blizzaks and used them through the life of the Subaru.

A few years ago I moved to northern Vermont. Last year we had over 200 inches of snow. This past April I sold my old Subaru and bought a new '08 Fit Sport, so I haven't used it during a Vermont winter yet. But a friend of mine has an '07 Base, and he says it did just fine with snow tires. I bought four Blizzak WS-50s (discontinued model) on sale last spring from Tire Rack. I got four wheels (also on sale). The total bill was $647, which included a $99 freight charge. I opted not to get TPMS sensors. This was printed on my invoice: "Vehicle equipped with direct tire pressure monitoring system as original equipment. Customer chose not to add pressure sensors to order."

I just had the snows put on the Fit last week. For about 50 miles, the TPMS light didn't come on; then last night it came on. (I'm not sure why there was a time lag.)

The new snows give a rougher ride on dry pavement than the original equipment Dunlops. They're also a bit noisier. Probably I'll experience a slight drop in mileage. (I've been averaging a bit over 40 mpg using the all-seasons.)

In my opinion, snow tires are a necessity if you live in places where you get more than an occasional snowfall. They're much, much safer than all-season tires when there is snow on the roads. Protect yourself and others by getting dedicated snow tires.

Sorry for the long post, but I think a lot of people underestimate the importance of having snow tires for winter driving.

Old 11-08-2008, 03:36 PM
NMG
Just thought I'd post a quick update. We had our first little batch of winter the other day with roughly 4 inches of snow that turned to compacted ice almost immediately as a result of temps hovering around zero and traffic compacting the stuff. Around town, the Fit with my Nokian WR G2's handled it just fine. No problems at all and grip was MUCH better than my stock all seasons.

On the highway there were a couple of times where the slush pulled me around a bit and I had to slow down, but that is normal for a car this size. Heck, that stuff can pull my truck around so it's not like it's unusual to have to take it easy when you get into a stretch of that stuff at speed.

Overall, I'd give the tires a great passing mark thus far. I will update again once temps get colder and the snow stays. In my experience, that usually means better roads than the stuff we get when it's around zero degrees.

Oh I just about forgot to mention the best part, which was passing a couple of trucks that were in the ditch. Why is it that the first vehicles to hit the ditch every year are ALWAYS trucks or SUV's?

Old 11-08-2008, 04:10 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by NMG
Just thought I'd post a quick update. We had our first little batch of winter the other day with roughly 4 inches of snow that turned to compacted ice almost immediately as a result of temps hovering around zero and traffic compacting the stuff. Around town, the Fit with my Nokian WR G2's handled it just fine. No problems at all and grip was MUCH better than my stock all seasons.

On the highway there were a couple of times where the slush pulled me around a bit and I had to slow down, but that is normal for a car this size. Heck, that stuff can pull my truck around so it's not like it's unusual to have to take it easy when you get into a stretch of that stuff at speed.

Overall, I'd give the tires a great passing mark thus far. I will update again once temps get colder and the snow stays. In my experience, that usually means better roads than the stuff we get when it's around zero degrees.

Oh I just about forgot to mention the best part, which was passing a couple of trucks that were in the ditch. Why is it that the first vehicles to hit the ditch every year are ALWAYS trucks or SUV's?
The only place a truck or SUV "wins" is in the collision with a smaller vehicle. Basic physics there....and we avoid these whales. For some reason SUV/truck owners really believe they are not a part of basic physics, their bad tires slide like all bad tires. The wise get winter tires, at -7 all season tires freeze, summer tires before this maybe at 0 degrees? Quebec is smart in requiring winter tires on all vehicles, no brainer really.

I am looking forward to real snow, we had a blanket of flakes earlier in the week. Mostly gone now. Maybe next weekend for snow.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:44 PM
i picked up some studded whali winter challengers today, i get them put on this wed. looks like a nice choice for the fit. will find out soon

Old 11-09-2008, 05:46 PM
5 Year Member
well back from my 2900km trip to Edmonton and back.

Didn't actually see much in the way of snow except in the middle of the night on the way back. Stopped just before daylight because the roads were starting to get worse and took this picture in the morning before continueing on.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:34 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
has anyone used chains in the snow? In Cali you have to have chains to hit up Tahoe. It should handle well in the snow its a front drive honda. You could do e-slides for days just keep the throttle steady.

anyhoo, i plan on using my fit as my snow vehicle this year, as I have donated my other vehicle. just wondering if any of you have experience with the chains on the vehicle. I would assume the Z pattern low clearance cable chains would work the best. any input would be appreciated. Plus I am lowered 1.5 inches. And I have driven my accord coupe in the snow on my 17s with a 3.25 inch drop and HFP OEM Bodykit without chains last year one time and made it through while snowing on BFG G-force tires. That was sketchy, but the fit would be simple compared to that.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:37 AM
CBX
I bought a set of SCC WhiteStar Alloy chains for my '09 Sport.

With any luck, I'll never need them.

It seems like every year I have to park at the bottom of the driveway for a few days.

I hate that shovel!

Old 12-06-2008, 09:17 AM
Vermont report:

I tried driving over the Appalachian Gap from east to west in my 2008 Sport a couple of weeks ago on summer tires, ran into white ice near the top and wound up having to back down carefully to where I could turn around and head back down. Had the studded Hakapellitas mounted yesterday.

Last edited by johnbryanpeters; 12-06-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:25 PM
Yup going to have to buy snow tires. This alberta clipper is making my driving reallly slow.

It is better than the old civic though, but the throttle on that wasn't as touchy.