General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit Checks Out in the Snow Again

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 11:24 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up Fit Checks Out in the Snow Again

I bought an 09 Fit Sport last year and drove it through three states (NJ, PA, NY... all the way to upstate NY) during the worst blizzard of the year. I was AMAZED at how well it handled in the snow. I saw trucks in ditches, cars crashed and my little Fit kept going. The Fit's handling in the snow was one of my biggest concerns about the car as a previous 4X4 SUV owner.

Well those of you in the tri-state area know we got hit with another huge blizzard this weekend and wow the Fit plowed through it again! I was the only person that made it to work in their own car. Everyone else either tried and failed or had to catch a ride in a 4X4 to get there. Everyone was amazed my little car (which was shorter than some of the snow walls ) was able to make it. Not only that, I don't even have my snow tires yet. Funny enough, a coworker's Honda Odyssey ended up getting stuck and snowed in.

So fOr anyone in snow heavy areas that's worried about the Fit, don't be. I would suggest driving slow, keeping your distance, following patterns and getting snow tires to be safe. Now I need to take my own advice and get those darn snow tires already to feel even more secure in the Fit.

Just my little snow story, thanks for reading!

Old 12-28-2010, 12:17 PM
good to know i'm taking the fit to the snow for the first time this weekend.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Ain'tStoppinMenow--do you have snow tires on your Fit?

Give yourself some of the credit too, sounds as though you know how to drive in snow! Some folks, no matter what car they have or what tires, cannot drive well in snow.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sooznd
Ain'tStoppinMenow--do you have snow tires on your Fit?

Give yourself some of the credit too, sounds as though you know how to drive in snow! Some folks, no matter what car they have or what tires, cannot drive well in snow.
no snow tires yet. They're on my to get list but I just cant afford them at the moment with school.

Thanks!

Old 12-28-2010, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sooznd
Yup yup

I'd love to get new tires too, but alas, I'm broke too.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:18 PM
Out of curiosity, exactly what wheels & tires (brands & sizes) are you running right now in all that snow? I'm only dealing with rain down here in Austin, but my front stock Sport Dunlops w/5500mi are spinning badly on corners.

Last edited by !bungle; 12-28-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by AintNoStoppinMeNow
I bought an 09 Fit Sport last year and drove it through three states (NJ, PA, NY... all the way to upstate NY) during the worst blizzard of the year. I was AMAZED at how well it handled in the snow. I saw trucks in ditches, cars crashed and my little Fit kept going. The Fit's handling in the snow was one of my biggest concerns about the car as a previous 4X4 SUV owner.

Well those of you in the tri-state area know we got hit with another huge blizzard this weekend and wow the Fit plowed through it again! I was the only person that made it to work in their own car. Everyone else either tried and failed or had to catch a ride in a 4X4 to get there. Everyone was amazed my little car (which was shorter than some of the snow walls ) was able to make it. Not only that, I don't even have my snow tires yet. Funny enough, a coworker's Honda Odyssey ended up getting stuck and snowed in.

So fOr anyone in snow heavy areas that's worried about the Fit, don't be. I would suggest driving slow, keeping your distance, following patterns and getting snow tires to be safe. Now I need to take my own advice and get those darn snow tires already to feel even more secure in the Fit.

Just my little snow story, thanks for reading!
Thanks for sharing. I am impressed with both the FIT's capability and your driving skills as well. You certainly had mastered the art of driving in the snow which I don't mind learning a tip or two from you

Old 12-30-2010, 11:11 AM
me too! i drove up to Asheville NC on Sunday, and I never had one problem driving it up there! and the roads where almost completely snow/ice/slush covered. And i saw plenty of SUV's & Pickups that were in accidents and in the ditch.

FTI: I lived in MA for 25 years so I know how to drive in those conditions. But seems like a lot of NC people don't.

the only problem i did have with the fit, is the damn dealership pretty much put water in as my windshield washer fluid! so it froze and I had to get out sometimes and clean it myself.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
Keep it quiet.
If it get's out that The Fit is actually good in the snow? How am I suppose to call my employer and convince them I can't come in?

As it is now, they simply see the size, and assume anything over 3 inches would make it impossible to drive...and that's what I want them thinking...

Old 12-30-2010, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
Keep it quiet.
If it get's out that The Fit is actually good in the snow? How am I suppose to call my employer and convince them I can't come in?

As it is now, they simply see the size, and assume anything over 3 inches would make it impossible to drive...and that's what I want them thinking...

LOL

Old 12-30-2010, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by AintNoStoppinMeNow
That's good advice no matter what you drive, although I've managed OK with all-season tires. Nothing like taking it slow and steady, and having some impatient SUV captain roar past you... only to find him in the ditch a few miles down the road. Whoops!

Though the Chicago area has been spared the worst snow so far, we have had enough for me to realize that the Fit does quite well when the flakes fly. While it doesn't have traction control like my Saturn did, I found that my winter driving style rarely brought the TC into play; by the time the traction warning light came on, I was already backing off.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
Snow Tires

Hey Fit Freakers,

My impression from talking to friends is that....if you have not purchased snow tires by now....you won't be able to find them.

This may not be true everywhere, but places with lots of snow and long winters....it likely is true.

Here in New Mexico....high in the mountains....we get lots of snow. But....we also get lots of sunshine, so usually by noon the following day the roads are clear. So most people do not have snow tires.