1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

A GOOD Story About Insurance and A Totaled Fit

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 08:19 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by TurboManGT
You should at least test drive one and look at it in person!!!
If I don't like it when I get there, I won't buy it. I really liked my GD3, and I doubt that I will find anything wrong with the GE8. Don't have time to fool around, and am not interested in anything else that tries to compete with the Fit.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:29 PM
Banned
For that kind of return on Fit investment, the next time a redneck in a lifted F350 so much as looks at me I am driving off the road and collecting a cheque. $$$$$$

Old 10-27-2008, 09:09 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by kamakurakid
For that kind of return on Fit investment, the next time a redneck in a lifted F350 so much as looks at me I am driving off the road and collecting a cheque. $$$$$$
That'll work, as long as the cop who investigates your accident believes, and reports, that it wasn't your fault. My CHP officer was pissed at the truck, and the same truck has been reported by other people.

Also, you have to survive the wreck. Pick the right road.

Last edited by manxman; 10-27-2008 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:09 PM
Merchant / Group Buy Organizer ( non-certified )
Wow that's great news Dave! I look forward to seeing your 09. I have seen 3 on the road and they're cool.

It's hard to believe that a used GD3 would cost more than a brand new Fit. The GD3 may be one of the rarest Honda body styles since it was only available in the US for two years.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
dam...lucky,

i hope someone smashes into me and i get out of it alive hahaha j/k

lucky.....

Old 10-31-2008, 01:46 PM
5 Year Member
ah man, good deal dude!! makes me wanna wreck my car..haha jk

Old 10-31-2008, 02:15 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Fitftw
ah man, good deal dude!! makes me wanna wreck my car..haha jk
My wreck was in a '07 BOM Sport Auto. I miss it. Had just finished the last of the major mods, then boom! Good bye, "Kumquat", hello "Prune" (drove my BBP '09 Sport Auto home yesterday). Still on Vicodin every 6 hours until the rib cracks heal.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Sorry to read about your accident. Glad it wasnt too serious, and hope you recover well, and speedy.

Good deal too on the insurance.

Old 10-31-2008, 03:00 PM
Retired Moderator
Wow! So fortunate man.
Seems like even though what happened really sucks, things worked them selves out really well.
Enjoy the GE.

Old 10-31-2008, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
so how's the GE compared to the GD?

Old 10-31-2008, 04:12 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by TOOL
Wow! So fortunate man.
Seems like even though what happened really sucks, things worked them selves out really well.
Enjoy the GE.
Thanks. How is your own health situation? Last I read you were in the hospital- still there, or are you home again?

Old 10-31-2008, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
Thanks-- how is your health situation? Last I heard you were in the hospital- still there, or are you home again?
Nah manxman, must be the other Fitster?
as opposed to FitStir?

I might be admitted in to the hospital soon cause I just found out I got another 8+ week wait till I get my GE8 Navi MT.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:19 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Fitftw
so how's the GE compared to the GD?
Still too early to say. After I get the chance to wring it out a little, I will post a comparo. I don't know how many of us there are on the forums who moved from a GD to a GE in only two years- can't be many of us. I am still looking for info. on intakes and exhaust mods for the GE, but it is nice to see so many mods already being offered for the new Fits- like the center storage/arm rest, window visors and door sill plates (I just ordered all of them from College Hills).

After I collect some technical impressions I will post more info.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:20 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by FitStir
Nah manxman, must be the other Fitster?
as opposed to FitStir?

I might be admitted in to the hospital soon cause I just found out I got another 8+ week wait till I get my GE8 Navi MT.
Actually I replied to a post from TOOL, but copied your post by mistake.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Cool....

Tool, hope your all well.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
I saw unrecognizable SUV burnt to a crisp on Calaveras Rd last week! It was either another poor soul attempting to claim a stolen SUV to avoid payments and gas prices (low at the moment! $2.90 in my area - I do not wont to hear it from some of you guys paying almost $2 flat in other states!!!), or it was another Ford that self combusted from their "superior" electric wiring and driver got lucky to get away with his life!
One thing for sure - one less SUV on the roads of Bay Area!

Anyway, nobody would believe somebody would destroy their own fuel efficient subcompact Oh, is that a fire in my driveway?!
Just kidding!

Ivan

Old 10-31-2008, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
Its good that you are ok. And nice that you got so much for the fit. I see that they are selling for alot on autotrader. Like around 20-24k for ones that have 12,000-30,000 miles on them. But when i tryed to trade my Fit into the Honda Dealer here they would only give me $13,000 for it. And would let me take a 09 Blue Fit for 17,000 OTD. But i still owe 17k for my Fit so i kept it. GL with the new car i test drove one there nice i like them alot. Its interior is alot nicer but the car did not feel as peepy as the 08 i have. Kind of felt slugish but it was a AT and i have a MT.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:42 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by 08fithappy
Its good that you are ok. And nice that you got so much for the fit. I see that they are selling for alot on autotrader. Like around 20-24k for ones that have 12,000-30,000 miles on them. But when i tryed to trade my Fit into the Honda Dealer here they would only give me $13,000 for it. And would let me take a 09 Blue Fit for 17,000 OTD. But i still owe 17k for my Fit so i kept it. GL with the new car i test drove one there nice i like them alot. Its interior is alot nicer but the car did not feel as peepy as the 08 i have. Kind of felt slugish but it was a AT and i have a MT.
Thanks 08-
I had a one hour freeway cruise home from the dealer, and there is a definite difference in the drive train feel between the GD's And GE's. It was raining with heavy traffic so I didn't get very adventurous with the new car. It is different, but not bad compared to the GD. The main thing that I remember was a slightly slower shift between the gears with the auto trans. Like a stick shift driver with a slow clutch foot. Again, not bad, just different- I'll get used to it.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:11 AM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by manxman
Thanks. How is your own health situation? Last I read you were in the hospital- still there, or are you home again?
Im home, just slowly recovering. Got a follow up with the doctor on tues., hope he says i can ditch the crutches since i kinda already did, yet im totaly limiting my walking.
Thanks for asking man.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:46 AM
5 Year Member
Reality check.

Last week my 2008 Fit Sport AT was hit by a drunk driver who ran a red light.

My son was driving and slammed on the brakes. The Fit hit the rear wheel of the Mitsubishi Montero SUV and sent it out of control where it flipped onto it's side and slid 100s of feet. The driver was stuck in the car and had to go to the hospital but I think he was OK albeit drunk according to the police on the scene.

My son and his passenger were OK with minor bruises and an airbag burn on the hand. Both airbags deployed and the entire front end of the Fit was trashed. The Fit was going slow enough that neither person actually hit the airbags, just tugged on the seatbelts.

Insurance totaled the car but only pays $16,245 for a car that is less than one year old from purchase and has 5800 miles on it. I had just done the first oil change a few days before. $15,900 is close to the Kelly blue book trade in value.

The payment is based on comparable sales of identical Fit Sport AT in my area with 10K miles. I got $295 for low miles.

So, don't assume you will get a good deal from your insurance. Mine was State Farm. It all depends on sales in your area.

Fits in my area go for a premium and new sales are very difficult. No Fits in stock and there is a wait for prices higher than MSRP. Only AT are available no MT. There are very few used sales.

The only good thing is my son and passenger are OK.

Quick Reply: A GOOD Story About Insurance and A Totaled Fit