1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

A GOOD Story About Insurance and A Totaled Fit

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 10:58 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by MINI-Fit
Reality check.

Last week my 2008 Fit Sport AT was hit by a drunk driver who ran a red light.

My son was driving and slammed on the brakes. The Fit hit the rear wheel of the Mitsubishi Montero SUV and sent it out of control where it flipped onto it's side and slid 100s of feet. The driver was stuck in the car and had to go to the hospital but I think he was OK albeit drunk according to the police on the scene.

My son and his passenger were OK with minor bruises and an airbag burn on the hand. Both airbags deployed and the entire front end of the Fit was trashed. The Fit was going slow enough that neither person actually hit the airbags, just tugged on the seatbelts.

Insurance totaled the car but only pays $16,245 for a car that is less than one year old from purchase and has 5800 miles on it. I had just done the first oil change a few days before. $15,900 is close to the Kelly blue book trade in value.

The payment is based on comparable sales of identical Fit Sport AT in my area with 10K miles. I got $295 for low miles.

So, don't assume you will get a good deal from your insurance. Mine was State Farm. It all depends on sales in your area.

Fits in my area go for a premium and new sales are very difficult. No Fits in stock and there is a wait for prices higher than MSRP. Only AT are available no MT. There are very few used sales.

The only good thing is my son and passenger are OK.
I'm really sorry to hear about the end of your Fit, and equally happy to hear about the lack of injuries to your son and passenger. I seem to have the best and worst of luck all at the same time. It sucks to lose my Fit, but the ease of getting another car as replacement was very pleasant. It seems as if residents of the Islands must pay a heavy premium for almost all aspects of life just to live there.

The difference in market value between your area and mine makes it look as if I had the only perfect condition Fit in 1000 sq. miles with dealer waiting lists with hundreds of names. It's just plain weird that I was paid thousands more for a ruined Fit than I paid for it new two years earlier.

I wish that the same had been the case for you!

Last edited by manxman; 11-07-2008 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:46 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Hey there manxman, glad to hear you're mending well -- and back in a Fit! Mine keeps getting bumps too, nothing compared to yours though. I had a branch land on it during a strong storm in September, and last Monday night a deer decided to hit me broadside. Sigh. Anyway it's good to hear from you and that our Fits hold their value.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by wdb
Hey there manxman, glad to hear you're mending well -- and back in a Fit! Mine keeps getting bumps too, nothing compared to yours though. I had a branch land on it during a strong storm in September, and last Monday night a deer decided to hit me broadside. Sigh. Anyway it's good to hear from you and that our Fits hold their value.
Hey wdb- thanks for the note. Of all people, you will be glad to hear that the GE8's don't have a hole for your left elbow to fall into. The driver side arm rest is longer than previous models, and the door pull hole is farther forward. No need to kluge together a fix for sore elbows.

Sorry to hear about your deer damage. We have that problem here too. My wife hit a deer on her way to work in her '06 Scion XB, or rather it hit her. Ran into the grill, bounced off and kept running. Grill, bumper, radiator support, radiator and right fender cost the insurance company $5800.

Due to the weird area where we live, we have had some spectacular accidents. On my wife's way to work in 2002 in a '90 Dodge Caravan, a horse ran head on (literally) into the passengier side windshield and flipped bodily over the entire van. She was driving no more than 30 mph. The horse died of a broken neck in the street behind where the van stopped. No injuries to my wife other than a stiff neck from the shock, and grief over the poor animal. The horse owner's insurance paid for all damages.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:51 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Reality check.

Last week my 2008 Fit Sport AT was hit by a drunk driver who ran a red light.

My son was driving and slammed on the brakes. The Fit hit the rear wheel of the Mitsubishi Montero SUV and sent it out of control where it flipped onto it's side and slid 100s of feet. The driver was stuck in the car and had to go to the hospital but I think he was OK albeit drunk according to the police on the scene.

My son and his passenger were OK with minor bruises and an airbag burn on the hand. Both airbags deployed and the entire front end of the Fit was trashed. The Fit was going slow enough that neither person actually hit the airbags, just tugged on the seatbelts.

Insurance totaled the car but only pays $16,245 for a car that is less than one year old from purchase and has 5800 miles on it. I had just done the first oil change a few days before. $15,900 is close to the Kelly blue book trade in value.

The payment is based on comparable sales of identical Fit Sport AT in my area with 10K miles. I got $295 for low miles.

So, don't assume you will get a good deal from your insurance. Mine was State Farm. It all depends on sales in your area.

Fits in my area go for a premium and new sales are very difficult. No Fits in stock and there is a wait for prices higher than MSRP. Only AT are available no MT. There are very few used sales.

The only good thing is my son and passenger are OK.
It is a VERY good thing that your son and his passenger are OK. I'm sorry you lost your Fit - looking at the photos you have in your siggie, that would make me sad, too. I wish you the best of luck in whatever you replace it with! What about going outside of your area and driving the car back in, or even having it shipped in? You can buy off ebay you know.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Juliane
It is a VERY good thing that your son and his passenger are OK. I'm sorry you lost your Fit - looking at the photos you have in your siggie, that would make me sad, too. I wish you the best of luck in whatever you replace it with! What about going outside of your area and driving the car back in, or even having it shipped in? You can buy off ebay you know.
Very very few Fits for sale in Hawaii. Each dealership gets about 5 per month. Nearly all are AT.

Just checked to local dealerships- zero used Fits in stock.
One dealer has no new Fits. One has one base and one Fit sport both AT and expecting an order soon, they charge $3995 over MSRP on the window sticker. Nice huh?

Shipping from west coast port is $900 to Hawaii

Shipping cross country from midwest is $900 to west coast port.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:50 AM
Banned
Very very few Fits for sale in Hawaii. Each dealership gets about 5 per month. Nearly all are AT.

One dealer has no new Fits. One has one base and one Fit sport both AT and expecting an order soon, they charge $3995 over MSRP on the window sticker. Nice huh?

Wow! The Hawaiian Islands must be the biggest market in the world for the makers of "K-Y Products". Apparently one of your costs of living is to get screwed every time you turn around. "Paradise" has a new meaning.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
Wow! The Hawaiian Islands must be the biggest market in the world for the makers of "K-Y Products". Apparently one of your costs of living is to get screwed every time you turn around. "Paradise" has a new meaning.
All I can say is don't go grocery shopping in Hawaii.

Normal stuff like bread, eggs, milk, cereal are all super expensive way more than you could ever think it would be worth paying the high prices for.

But that is Hawaii. Most stuff is brought in by air or by matson containers.

X-mas trees are often $65 to 85 each for fairly basic ones that are essentially dry and cut many months ago.

Same with cars. Low supply and high demand leads to shortage of good units and paying high prices.

And how was your weather today? We had passing showers and partly sunny with a high of 81 and low of 63. It's likely to stay that way until mid January. Mostly 72 to 80 during the day.

By the way when I buy car upgrade stuff I usually pay up to $2 per pound to 2nd day air ship the stuff in. A small exhaust system in an oversized box easily $100, stay with a rear swaybar, same with the Fit JDM Console.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:57 AM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member

Okay, I should have looked at your location before I posted!! Eeee-yipes! Yeah, you are captive on an island - you can't exactly drive to the next state and grab a car to drive back!! My sympathies, dude.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:43 AM
State Farm is awesome. I, too, received a settlement for more than what I paid for the car.

Look at Civics, if you're into that. I'm getting almost the same gas mileage but I can go ~100 miles further on a tank. It's nice.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:44 PM
i have State Farm as well, when i wrecked my old car they gave me a chk worth way more than the car was. ur right on the speed of claim, i had a check about a week later

Old 05-01-2009, 10:43 PM
I'm glad your alright Dave,and i still consider you as one of the best pioneer gurus when it comes to simple modification but functional.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:04 PM
im trying to get run off the road asap

Old 06-03-2009, 07:26 PM
just wanna chime in. you get what you pay for when it comes to auto insurance or any insurance period. if you go with a cheap insurance, ask yourself this question "is the company financially stable to cover your losses and bring you back to where you were prior to the accident"

i work with statefarm, so if you have any questions please feel free to ask.