1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Damaeged Axel in offroad accident, less thna a day to start things out...

Old 11-17-2008, 08:24 AM
5 Year Member
Damaeged Axel in offroad accident, less thna a day to start things out...

Here's a link to some pics I put on facebook.
[removed]

This occured late saturday night... My question is, do I go to a Honda dealership for repairs or a auto-body shop? The dealership I bought my Fit from (Sport Honda - MD) is about 10 miles away from where the car is, but the closest Honda dealership (Herson's Honda) is about 5 miles from her place. The reviews for it aren't that great though...

Last edited by Chukwudi; 12-20-2010 at 05:19 PM. Reason: trying to remove tags from post
Old 11-17-2008, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry to hear about that. Was it raining or wet? Hope everyone's okay.

It depends on what is broken I suppose. I know all the shops in my area and as far as body work I would take it to a local recommended place. For suspension etc, I would take it to the (good) dealer.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:32 AM
5 Year Member
Glad you're okay.

I don't really know what's best. My guess is insurance isn't an option so either way you're paying out of pocket - you should get estimates from your dealer, the other closer dealer, and some local body shops.
MAYBE the dealership will go easier on you since you got the car from them, versus the other dealer with poor ratings that's closer. Then you can use that estimate as a point of reference when you get estimates from other local shops.
Maybe get the mechanical repairs (axle damage, etc.) done first so you can get the car back on the road? Then worry about the paint/cosmetics after that. I can't really tell the extent of the damage from the pics - only thing obvious is a new rim is in order.

Good luck.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:29 AM
Probably pretty pricy to pay out of pocket. Maybe cheaper to pay insurance deductable. Plus maybe you could blame it on road conditions and your insurance company may reduce the cost to you and not raise your premium.
I would probably go with dealer you bought car from.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:36 AM
5 Year Member
Okay, thanks guys!

I've been home for a while now researching and getting a to-do-list for the day before my roomie heads out with me in his Scion "Black Box"

I'll ask for estimates, not sure if I'll have timeto goto other Honda dealerships or other body shops since I have to teach classes a.s.a.p. and have graduate school stuff too.

I'm off! Thanks again!

Old 11-17-2008, 01:01 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Take it to the dealer. It wont be warranty seeing the wheel damage.
A friend of mine broke his axle installing the springs. Put it back to stock and the dealer did BOTH under warranty.

But yea... bring it to the dealer. Most likely if you go to a shop theyll jut drive it to Honda for the repairs.
Be sure to get an alignment also.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:23 PM
5 Year Member
Update #1

So I went to my local Honda Dealership where I purchased my 2007 Honda Fit (Sport) (Orange) and the damage recieved was more than I realized. Since I got in after noon they're gonna get back to me tomorrow about the estimate with and without my insurance.

The employee working wiith me thought it would be better to try insurance anyway, but the car RUNS, it's just an issue of the axel, wheel, tires, brake(s)....

Doesn't sound too bad does it?

I went across the street to Enterprise and got a Kia Rio LX... and it's also orange! Not by choice people...

Anyway, that's where things are right now. I need a new cell phone (again) since I had mine die the night of my accident this past saturday. Turns out a HS buddy of mine had his lil' bro (1 year younger) get in an accident with his 2005 Lotus Elise on the same road the day before.... WEIRD!

So now, it's a matter of insurance. I'm taking off work tomorrow again.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
Was that road slick or is it just a bad curve?

Old 11-17-2008, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cranky18
Was that road slick or is it just a bad curve?
Slick roads... all day Saturday and before that too.
My tires were also becoming bald, so had I had a better grip there may have been a better chance for control.
Of course, the simplest thing would have been driving at 5 mph max....

Old 11-17-2008, 05:46 PM
5 Year Member
wow i live in SS too and im trying to think of where that road is. I saw the picture but still doesnt ring a bell lmao Montrose road..... What part?? Atleast your ok though. I would have crapped in my pants haha! I'm sure you've seen me drive around before.... Milano Red Fit. I usually drive around New Hampshire back and forth lol

Old 11-17-2008, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gotenkz00
wow i live in SS too and im trying to think of where that road is. I saw the picture but still doesnt ring a bell lmao Montrose road..... What part?? Atleast your ok though. I would have crapped in my pants haha! I'm sure you've seen me drive around before.... Milano Red Fit. I usually drive around New Hampshire back and forth lol

LoL, yeah I think I have seen you a couple of times in town. :-)

It's the part where 270-N can still be seen on Montrose, parallel to the exit sign that is for the westbound Montrose traffic 9if that makes any sense).

I live in Wheaton now, but used to be on new Hampshire all the time (Fairland Rd was my old "'hood"). What bothers me is, after almost 2 years of owning the Fit, I can count on my hand how many Fits are Modded up in the Montgomery County area... and I can definately count on all my fingers and toes how many older women find this car attractive/interesting...

I SOOOO want to get a carbon fiber body mod and paint it green, just to be different.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chukwudi
LoL, yeah I think I have seen you a couple of times in town. :-)

It's the part where 270-N can still be seen on Montrose, parallel to the exit sign that is for the westbound Montrose traffic 9if that makes any sense).

I live in Wheaton now, but used to be on new Hampshire all the time (Fairland Rd was my old "'hood"). What bothers me is, after almost 2 years of owning the Fit, I can count on my hand how many Fits are Modded up in the Montgomery County area... and I can definately count on all my fingers and toes how many older women find this car attractive/interesting...

I SOOOO want to get a carbon fiber body mod and paint it green, just to be different.
Wheaton you say? lol I used to work at the Circuit City there for 2 years. So how much is the damage going to be?? I think that Kia is gonna be your friend for some time lol

Old 11-18-2008, 10:52 AM
5 Year Member
Update #2

Here's what I'm looking at without insurance:

2465.00 + MD tax 6% for
wheel
4 tires
sub frame
left rear bearing
alignment

My insurance is through Costco, and I'll need to contact them a.s.ap. since my vehicle is sitting in my dealerships shop right now...

Old 11-18-2008, 12:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chukwudi
Here's what I'm looking at without insurance:

2465.00 + MD tax 6% for
wheel
4 tires
sub frame
left rear bearing
alignment

My insurance is through Costco, and I'll need to contact them a.s.ap. since my vehicle is sitting in my dealerships shop right now...
Called insurance... they're going to communicate with the dealership and take it from there.
Hopefully I get a great deal somehow...

Old 11-18-2008, 12:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gotenkz00
Wheaton you say? lol I used to work at the Circuit City there for 2 years. So how much is the damage going to be?? I think that Kia is gonna be your friend for some time lol
Had to reply before getting back to work...

That is pretty funny you used to work a the CC. I've probably seen you at that time since I bought some stuff fro mCC in the last 2 years before moving to Wheaton. Technically I'm still in SIlver Spring, right where Georgia Ave & Randolph Rd meet - that's my new 'hood.

If you ever want to kick it, just let me know. My 2 roomies and I have tons of stuff happening at our house: Video Game & LAN Parties, Poker Parties/Tourneys, Sunday or Monday Night Football watch parties, Movies NIghts (we have a big screen TV) et cetera...

We're all 25+ jfyi.

Gotta go! Update 3 coming soon....

Old 11-18-2008, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member
ah that sucks good luck with it all. you should come to some of our mid a meets. think theyre workin on one now?

Old 11-19-2008, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member
Hmm Costco has insurance!?!? lmao I'm out the loop! ^^^^David where the heck you been!??!? Yeah man you should join us on our meets and stuff on the Mid-A section of the forum. Good luck with everything thats going on to the fit and we all hope to see your car back in action on the forums.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member
haha i been around, mostly just read threads here and there. been busy, kinda put the car on hold for awhile. been tryin to save $ instead of blowin it ;P got a townhouse with my sister, another dog. lotta stuff going on. hopefully i can make it out to the next meet. if there is one this weekend, i cant go ;/

sorry to thread jack ;x

Old 12-05-2008, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
Another update..

I've been Honda Fit-less/Honda Un-Fit for nearly a month now... it feels really weird and bad in some cases , but I am still greatful to God in Heaven to be alive and at least have a mode of transportation in the Kia Rio (also orange)

Anyway, I've been in touch with my awesome dealership (Sport Honda) and auto-insurance (Costco-Ameriprise)and the car rental dealership (Enterprise) and they've also been communicating with each other...

With yet another set of additional, discovered damages, I'm expecting this Tuesday or Wednesday to get it back.

Wednesday happens to be my mother's birthday... lol

Old 12-07-2008, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member
i was fitless for a week when it was getting repaired and wow.............. worst week for me lmao. Its like all the mods i've done cannot be put to use! hahahahahahahaha

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Damaeged Axel in offroad accident, less thna a day to start things out...