1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

07 FiT Quick Jerks @ 60mph

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 08:36 AM
5 Year Member
I don't think clogged injectors are the main problem here but if you want to clean them, try using either Gumout Regain or Techron concentrate in the fuel tank. Both use PEA as the cleaning agent but it's not a traditional solvent so it shouldn't wreak havoc on the soft parts of your fuel system.

For a more thorough cleaning, pull the injectors and send them to a shop to be flow tested, cleaned, and retested. I did this about 2 months ago on a car with almost 200K miles and the bench testing/cleaning made a huge difference.

The fuel system cleaners are more preventative than curative (if that's a word).

Old 01-21-2011, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up Update

Originally Posted by HaulSmall
It's the air being drawn into the intake manifold under the hood. Ambient seems to need to be over about 60 degrees. The best way to get it to happen is to drive it until the engine is nice and hot and then park it out of the wind for about 20 minutes. Then it often does it as soon as you start it back up.

The question I have is: What else would malfunction due to high temperature? Electrical, fuel, emissions, vacuum?
In late October the engine began misfiring on a single cylinder (Scanguage) and became undriveable. I went back to the dealer and they adjusted the valves and replaced one of the coil packs. I had previously replaced all the plugs and all the coils. That fixed it! Two months later now, and it runs great! The only issue I have now is that the mileage plummeted to around 23 in town, but it is winter. I'm convinced the lack of self-adjusting valves on this engine is the primary cause of my problem. As soon as the issue crops up again, I'm paying for another valve adjustment. Well worth it!

Last edited by HaulSmall; 01-21-2011 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 02-28-2011, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member
I had a similar issue on my 07 sport where it would stutter around 60-65mph & once I changed my fouled spark plugs it worked like magic

Old 12-09-2011, 09:33 AM
Also Jerking

I also have an early model--it's an '07 but I got it in April '06. I have 97,000 miles on it. At stoplights it feels like the idle is so slow it almost sputters and dies. In two different places on my morning commute, as I've sped up to merge into traffic, when it gets to about 2500-3000 rpms at about 60-65mph, it cuts out really badly and the engine light starts flashing. There is not a solid connection. I had this problem a year ago (not nearly as often) but it got much worse when I replaced the DieHard battery that I last bought with a battery from a store called BatteriesPlus. I had a problem finding a battery for it at all as everybody seemed to be out. I'm going to take it to a friend that's a general mechanic and have the spark plugs replaced (they never have been) and I'm going to try the fuel injector several times as well. If that doesn't work I guess I will go to Honda for the coil packs because I've heard that several times now.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:54 PM
Definitely try new plugs and don't get the cheap ones. Break for some decent iridiums or platinums. Its a DIY that's too easy and will prolly solve the issue. Changed mine, no stutter and MPG increased almost 3 MPG.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:30 PM
Update---I tried the Iso Heet in the fule--it fixed the problem while idlying but then when I sped up to pass a car, my CEL came on and has remained lit. I called a coworkers husband who is a mechanic and mentioned this forum...he wouldn't even let me get the words out before he started dissing people who aren't mechanics. He said replacing 4 coil packs from the start (I have 92,500 miles) would be as stupid as having a nail in your tire and replkacing all four tires. Guess which mecanic I WONT be using? Based on the two hours I spent reading all of the threads about this issue, I would just as soon replace all four coil packs and my spark plugs and be done with the problem. I'll order the parts from Bernardi and pay a mechanic to install for me. I appreciate everyone adding to these threads---it's been most helpful!

Old 12-12-2011, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitsMeinTX
Update---I tried the Iso Heet in the fule--it fixed the problem while idlying but then when I sped up to pass a car, my CEL came on and has remained lit. I called a coworkers husband who is a mechanic and mentioned this forum...he wouldn't even let me get the words out before he started dissing people who aren't mechanics. He said replacing 4 coil packs from the start (I have 92,500 miles) would be as stupid as having a nail in your tire and replkacing all four tires. Guess which mecanic I WONT be using? Based on the two hours I spent reading all of the threads about this issue, I would just as soon replace all four coil packs and my spark plugs and be done with the problem. I'll order the parts from Bernardi and pay a mechanic to install for me. I appreciate everyone adding to these threads---it's been most helpful!

If he is a mechanic his first words should have been 'have you checked the OBD II diagnostic scan?' Unfortunately, the coil packs do wear out same as spark plugs and at 92k miles you're well past replacement time. But without the diagnostics you are just guessing; at least your odds of being correct are better than 60-40.
good luck.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:07 AM
Two questions---I'm in Dallas so what's fair labor for spark plugs and coils? Also why is Bernardi so much cheaper?

Old 02-02-2012, 10:41 AM
5 Year Member
I replaced my 3rd clutch pressure switch part # 28600-RPC-003 and the problem went away for 1 year, just came back so I installed a new switch and it worked for 1 week, stutter/hiccup is back. I'm wondering if I got a bad switch.

Also mine only does it in 5th gear (5AT) when i give it a little gas, highway speeds. It's like the car can't decide if it wants to downshift or not.

Last edited by mmm def; 02-02-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:02 AM
5 Year Member
Also why is Bernardi so much cheaper?
Bernardi is a great supply dealer. I got my extended Honda Care warranty from them for 1/2 of what the locale dealer wanted. They're huge and volume reduces cost.... sometimes.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Just wanted to update all on the jerking, sputtering for me. I'm now at 101,000 miles and when I had new sparkplugs put in 6 months ago, it solved the problem for a few months but it's slowly coming back now. I had my codes read and it said three of the four coils are bad so I plan to buy all 4 from Bernardi, as I did the sparkplugs, and pay a trusted mechanic $70 to install them. I wish I could do it myself but I've never been under the hood and I don't have the tools. I appreciate all of the help here----

Old 08-08-2012, 04:06 PM
5 Year Member
If I still lived in the Dallas area I'd install them for a 12 pack of Heineken... It should take a person that has no mechanical experience and taking their time no more than an hour and a half... A skilled mechanic should take no more than half that time... Considering the high temperature this summer, I might consider paying someone do do mine too but not if I had a 12 pack of Heineken.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:14 PM
I wish you were still here. We did find a co-worker that is happy to show me how. I ordered from Barnardi and with 2 day shipping it's $300. So I'll save $70! Thanks for all the help. I will go to the mechanic soon and have my valves adjusted and all my fluids changed.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:26 AM
Smile Coil Packs Replaced!

I did it! I changed my coil packs. I'm a 48 year old female who has never done a thing under thing under any hood and with a knowledgeable friend standing by, I did it!
I cannot believe the difference in the way my car runs. It was almost not driveable by the time we did it. Could not accelerate, engine light on steady...now it's like old times!

Old 08-13-2012, 12:02 PM
5 Year Member
I am glad that you were able to find someone to guide you through the process.... I get frustrated with young men that are willing to pay through the nose for someone to turn a wrench for them... They could buy a big set of very good quality tools and a "Chilton's" or "Haynes" manual for what they spend on 2 or 3 simple maintenance and repairs jobs at a dealership.... How long did it take to change out the coils???

Old 08-13-2012, 02:26 PM
It only took maybe 30-40 minutes. We joked and talked and he taught me what to do. I lost a hunk of skin off my nuckle too but my manicure is still pretty.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
It only took maybe 30-40 minutes. We joked and talked and he taught me what to do. I lost a hunk of skin off my nuckle too but my manicure is still pretty.

Congratulations. Welcome to the order of the shade tree mechanic. Keep a roll of duc tape on hand now that you're initiated into the clan.
Your advancement in the clan depends on the amount of duc tape you use to cover wounds and keep going.
cheers.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by RichXKU
Has this only been happening on A/T cars?

No. Its the nature of the life of coil paks.