1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

dashboard rattling

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 09:54 PM
June 2007 3rd Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
Never heard that much rattle in Southern California. Now, that I've moved to Washington my car rattles everywhere. I think I'll add more insulation and sound proof doors. In the meanwhile, just turn up the radio until the car warms up inside.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
+1 on the cold weather rattling. it makes it much worse. once the warmer weather comes around most of the rattles will disappear.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:42 PM
wcs
Foam/sponge tape did the trick

I'm in Pennsylvania and noticed the rattles/creaks shortly after buying my used 2008 Fit a couple weeks ago. Annoying! Stopped by Walmart to buy felt and sponge tape (the kind you use for weatherstripping windows). Basically I cut the sponge tape to the length of the dash/windshield and then put the felt on the adhesive part so that it wouldn't actually stick to the dash. Then just pressed that sponge tape into the space between the dash and windshield, pushing down on the dash as I did so to make sure there was some pressure on it. It's hardly noticeable because it hides in the shadow of that crevice. In case you want to do this it's the Duck brand 1/2" sponge tape.

It's a little warmer this week but so far haven't heard any creaks or rattles. A better test will come as it cools down into the teens and twenties again.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:00 PM
My best remedy for the rattles instead of faffing about doing a DIY (honestly, I can't be bothered) is to just turn the defroster on and put it on the hottest setting. It seems to make the plastic softer and stops it within a few minutes. When it's cold you generally need the heat anyway, right? So just make it come out the top near the dashboard.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by Arashi
My best remedy for the rattles instead of faffing about doing a DIY (honestly, I can't be bothered) is to just turn the defroster on and put it on the hottest setting. It seems to make the plastic softer and stops it within a few minutes. When it's cold you generally need the heat anyway, right? So just make it come out the top near the dashboard.
This does not work when its cold. And by that I mean below -30.
When its -45 the heater can't even heat the car up.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wcs
I'm in Pennsylvania and noticed the rattles/creaks shortly after buying my used 2008 Fit a couple weeks ago. Annoying! Stopped by Walmart to buy felt and sponge tape (the kind you use for weatherstripping windows). Basically I cut the sponge tape to the length of the dash/windshield and then put the felt on the adhesive part so that it wouldn't actually stick to the dash. Then just pressed that sponge tape into the space between the dash and windshield, pushing down on the dash as I did so to make sure there was some pressure on it. It's hardly noticeable because it hides in the shadow of that crevice. In case you want to do this it's the Duck brand 1/2" sponge tape.

It's a little warmer this week but so far haven't heard any creaks or rattles. A better test will come as it cools down into the teens and twenties again.
Can you post a photo? I don't want the inside of my car to look all ghetto. We don't have much cold weather here anyway, but I assume the rattles will only get worse as the car ages.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:20 AM
I'm from CA, so anything below 50F is freezing to me (like 10C???).

Old 02-09-2009, 08:57 PM
wcs
Originally Posted by Juliane
Can you post a photo? I don't want the inside of my car to look all ghetto. We don't have much cold weather here anyway, but I assume the rattles will only get worse as the car ages.
I'll see what I can do, maybe tomorrow when the sun is up (not much light in the garage). I don't have a digital camera so it will just be a crummy shot from my cell phone. The foam just slides right in there against the black part of the windshield (the bottom) and is the same gray color as the dashboard so it does not look bad. If you push it in place nicely it might even look like it's meant to be there.

Update on the rattling, it was colder this morning (28F) and I drove to work rattle-free. Truth is, there may still be some noise coming from the area near where the windshield meets the dashboard but with the foam in place you can't hear it. I heard a vibrating sound at one point and immediately got annoyed until I realized it was just my parking permit buzzing against the rearview mirror.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:54 AM
wcs

I realize it's hard to see. You can see the dark gray foam and the black felt I used along the adhesive side. So far it's been working well.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
That is in shadow - I can't make anything out! But thanks for trying!

Old 02-10-2009, 07:13 PM
wcs
Originally Posted by Juliane
That is in shadow - I can't make anything out! But thanks for trying!
Yeah, it was a cloudy day. Sorry.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:10 PM
Hey people there is a T.S.B. on this. Dash has to come out and needs a update on some foam tape. If u still got warr. take it back to the dealer. If no warr. left well bring out the check book u are going to need it. Pulling out the dash is not easy. My fit is fine in the winter cause of the soft riding snow tires, but once the low pros go on look out rattle city. I aint pulling the dash though, warr. aint paying enough. I wont let anyone else work on my car. I will deal with the noise, its a econo box. I aint driving a TL eh. Would like to mention that honda is only paying techs 3 hours for the job, it takes the whole day to do. So your dealer will give you a run around before they fix it because they wont want to fix it, they lose too much money doing shit warr. jobs. If you are paying for the repair be looking at a 8 hour charge. If its under warr. be prepared to have a apprentice ripping apart your interior. My recommendation is to deal with the rattle like me lol.

Last edited by FITTECH; 02-27-2009 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
Hello FITTECH,
Can you provide some info on the TSB such as number or date. I cannot find it in AllDatadiy. Perhaps they simply do not have it yet if it is recent.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member
I cant do anything about my dash rattle, since I got lowering springs and the dealer said that mods on the suspension will void that.

My rattle is where the passenger airbag and the raised center radio part meet. Sigh

Old 03-02-2009, 11:44 PM
Hey if your dealer wont help you, call Honda Canada or who ever applies and tell them your dealer is not helping you with the problem and you know of the tsb what should I do? They will most likely tell your dealer to fix it. I do not know the # of the tsb right now but will. Just be polite with customer service and they will help you out.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by FITTECH
Hey if your dealer wont help you, call Honda Canada or who ever applies and tell them your dealer is not helping you with the problem and you know of the tsb what should I do? They will most likely tell your dealer to fix it. I do not know the # of the tsb right now but will. Just be polite with customer service and they will help you out.
Hello fellow fit drivers, I got that tsb # its IX-2-08, issue date april 4 08. Note that basic warr. only applies, 3 years or 60000km. Hope this will help your ratteling dash.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:25 PM
5 Year Member
ooh nice. but the dealer said its prob cuz i put my car on lowering springs, which is a suspension mod, which causes a firmer ride, which causes... rattles.

I got tanabe df's and theyre not really stiff, my shocks are still good. But dunno if the dealer will still work on the rattles cuz of their excuse.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:20 PM
5 Year Member
^^^^^haha i was waiting for that one.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Thats what happens when you put parts thats not Genuine Honda parts on your car.... You should know that. Put it back to stock then bring it in, that should work just dont go to the same dealer...

Old 03-09-2009, 05:23 PM
Its a cold weather thing- I bought my new Fit in July '08 and didn't experience any rattles until it got cold. And by cold, I mean in the 30's. Now I have an annoying dash rattle that appears to be coming from somewhere near the passengers side. I've babied this car and have made no mods (other than leather int.) so thats not what causes it. It drives me nuts but I'll live with because I like the car and don't want to tear into anything just to repair it and possibly open the door for bigger issues.

Quick Reply: dashboard rattling