1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

dashboard rattling

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member
Question dashboard rattling

I live in Toronto and have noticed that over the past 4 months the dashboard has been making a LOT of plasticky rattling sounds whenever I go over bumps in the road. These sounds are driving me INSANE!!! Are these squeaks/rattles due to the cold weather and would these repairs be covered under warranty??
Any of youz Fit owners experiencing this type of excessive rattling??

Old 01-27-2009, 03:48 PM
Mine does to....I think its the cold weather. I know others do it as well. I think theres a DIY somewhere about how to make it stop

Old 01-27-2009, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member
Where is the noise coming from?

Old 01-27-2009, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
It sounds like it's coming from the front part of the dashboard in the driver's side. Not exactly sure from where though.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:03 PM
Subscribed for interest.

Sounds like it's right under where the gauge cluster shroud meets the dash closest to the windshield, maybe a touch to the right.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
My dashboard doesn't squeek, but in colder weather it "clacks" whenever I go over a bump. The sound is coming from the little smooth square area right in the middle of the dash, above/in front of the radio. Maybe I need to take my radio out and see what's going on.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:20 PM
5 Year Member
as the cold weather comes on harder i get more rattles.... behind the dash.... and some where in the back dunno where that one is... ill have the dealer look at it on my next oil change (its free no way would i pay them for an oil change) they are warrentied.....

Old 01-27-2009, 09:49 PM
5 Year Member
I have the same problem. The colder it gets the louder it gets. See the thread on noisy speedo (which it isn't cause there is no speedo drive !).
I will wait until it warms up in the spring and see if there is anything that I can tighten up. 07/manual/ 35,000kms Sept-Iles, Quebec -30C.
Cheers
Rod

Old 01-27-2009, 11:11 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Yep, here too

I have had rattles since it started getting cold at night. Once the front glass gets nice and warm, the rattles diminish, but it's a lot noisier in the Fit than in my previous DD, a '95 Camry. In fact, it's incredibly quiet in the old Camry...sigh...but I still love my Fit.

Someone said there is a TSB on the dash rattles. Anyone know for sure??

Mine seem to be almost in the center of the dash, nearer to the windshield than the stereo. But there's more than one.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
it could be the cold weather,. if it bothers you that must you can always just spend a whole day tightening everything up

Old 01-28-2009, 02:42 AM
5 Year Member
someone already started a thread about it. idk if he fixed it. i'm to lazy to read

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...diy-fix-2.html

Old 01-28-2009, 07:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Super Mario
My dashboard doesn't squeek, but in colder weather it "clacks" whenever I go over a bump. The sound is coming from the little smooth square area right in the middle of the dash, above/in front of the radio. Maybe I need to take my radio out and see what's going on.
thats where mine is rattling really annoying i was going to take the vents out and see if i can fix it.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Juliane
I have had rattles since it started getting cold at night. Once the front glass gets nice and warm, the rattles diminish, but it's a lot noisier in the Fit than in my previous DD, a '95 Camry. In fact, it's incredibly quiet in the old Camry...sigh...but I still love my Fit.

Someone said there is a TSB on the dash rattles. Anyone know for sure??

Mine seem to be almost in the center of the dash, nearer to the windshield than the stereo. But there's more than one.

Whoever said there is a TSB : Please stand up !
I looked through Alldata DIY and could find no reference to this problem and no TSB.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
i took mine bak to the dealers once, and they told me they put in some extra padding around the dash, but doesnt seem to wrk cos its still there.. my rattle comes from the drivers side tini window..

also had my door card taken off recently to get my tints done and there is a loud rattle from the door, ahhh...

Old 01-31-2009, 03:15 AM
5 Year Member
I just dealt with this on my '07. The first two times the dealer claimed they added extra insulation to the A pillar and dash but that did no good. I took it back in again and insisted they fix it. They refused stating I had the windshield removed/replaced or modified something because the foam along the bottom of the windshield was visible. Absurd!! I immediately asked to speak with the regional Honda rep who coincidentally was scheduled to be at the dealership the next day. He/she never contacted me but authorized the repair.

3 days later I got the car back rattle free. Basically, to fix this they have to completely remove the windshield, add more insulation under and around the dash, re-secure the dash and replace loose rivets used to hold the VIN plate in place. Oh, in the process they shattered my original windshield and had to order a new one.

There is no way I would have ever attempted a DIY fix for this. Way too much work involved. But I'm very thankful to drive down the road in a rattle free car.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:21 AM
Retired Moderator
Mine does this with when temps get chilly too.
My fix is turn the radio up. Its a econobox, what can ya expect heh.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:23 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
mine rattles too. and i too listen to the stereo pretty loud so it doesnt bother me.
plus, my kids are more noisy so my threshold for 'noise' is much higher? hahahahaha

should go away when it gets warmer though.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by EMC2
I live in Toronto and have noticed that over the past 4 months the dashboard has been making a LOT of plasticky rattling sounds whenever I go over bumps in the road. These sounds are driving me INSANE!!! Are these squeaks/rattles due to the cold weather and would these repairs be covered under warranty??
Any of youz Fit owners experiencing this type of excessive rattling??

When its cold a lot of wiring harness get hard enough to rattle where normally they are soft enough to not make a noise. just to be sure though, check your govebox. There is usually enough stuff in there to rattle when hard due to cold.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:29 AM
5 Year Member
Mine is rattling too. I installed an aftermarket HU. Do you think they will try to give me any grief about that causing the problem if I take it in? I can tell the rattle is not near the HU.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:19 PM
I got plenty of rattttttles.
And when its -40 it sounds like someone breaking sticks for a fire.
I am not planning on taking it back. As a former tech I know what kind of crapshoot fixing rattles can be, especially when they disappear when warm.
Its an econo car. I can live with it.

Quick Reply: dashboard rattling