1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

anyone know anything about bolts??

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 06:46 PM
5 Year Member
anyone know anything about bolts??

this is the bolt that connects the cat to the header. i broke it in half, and it is not coming out at all. i already tried vice grips and stuff. my conclusion will be to weld the head back on. any other suggestions??

this is the head...

im open to anything. i really need to get this fixed... its leaking gas bad.

thanks guys!

Old 03-31-2009, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member
well you have bigger problems if you are leaking gas out of your exhaust :P

Old 03-31-2009, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
cheap fast fix since its broken go get some jd weld liquid metal mix the two and will harden steel great stuff if used correctly.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
well you have bigger problems if you are leaking gas out of your exhaust :P
hah no its like gaseous gas. gasoline in the gaseous state. like the smell. haha

Old 03-31-2009, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
and whats that liquid metal mix stuff??

Old 03-31-2009, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
weld a nut on the bolt

Old 03-31-2009, 07:11 PM
NO, no no no no no no. JB liquid weld will only make the problem worse! First you need to feel around on the shaft protruding from the back side (closer to the header, not the cat) and feel if there are any threads left at all. If there are threads left, then your next step should be to get the remaining piece of bolt as straight as possible given the limited space available. Use two C-clamps to hold the joint between header and down pipe together, this will take all the strain off the bolts you are trying to remove. Now use your vise grips to slowly turn the bolt. If I remember correctly those suckers come loose very slowly so don't expect huge results real fast. If, however the threads are totally FUBARed then get your Dremel out and cut the bolt body off as close to the header flange as you can manage. Then use your drill to drill out the remains of the bolt. I would also hose that mother in WD40 or Kroil before attempting to turn it loose. If you have none of these things then you are fuxored and you should call for reinforcements. Hope that helps Good Luck!

Old 03-31-2009, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by grtpumpkin
NO, no no no no no no. JB liquid weld will only make the problem worse! First you need to feel around on the shaft protruding from the back side (closer to the header, not the cat) and feel if there are any threads left at all. If there are threads left, then your next step should be to get the remaining piece of bolt as straight as possible given the limited space available. Use two C-clamps to hold the joint between header and down pipe together, this will take all the strain off the bolts you are trying to remove. Now use your vise grips to slowly turn the bolt. If I remember correctly those suckers come loose very slowly so don't expect huge results real fast. If, however the threads are totally FUBARed then get your Dremel out and cut the bolt body off as close to the header flange as you can manage. Then use your drill to drill out the remains of the bolt. I would also hose that mother in WD40 or Kroil before attempting to turn it loose. If you have none of these things then you are fuxored and you should call for reinforcements. Hope that helps Good Luck!
i second this x10000000000000000000000

Old 03-31-2009, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
so get the bolt straight... clamp it... and twist it? its really hard to twist cuz theres very limited space.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
That sucker is seized in there.
to make your life easier, your gonna have to remove the header completly off the car. Put some 'liquid wrench' penetrant oil on the bolt and then use a table vise to get it out.

Last edited by Evotech8; 03-31-2009 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
ya i dont really wanna remove the header... is it a pain?

Old 03-31-2009, 07:32 PM
I was thinking that also. Remove the header and the cat pipe from the car entirely, then you have all the space you need to get at that mutha. Granted, I'm not sure how you would remove the header/cat pipe as an assembly its not meant to come off as one big piece.... Try the on-the-car fix first, save the remove-the-whole-damned-thing fix as a last resort. Um dude how big of a pain is lying on your back under the car trying to turn loose a siezed bolt with a pair of vise-grips? What in the world were you doing with the header to cat pipe bolts in the first place if you weren't removing the header?

Last edited by grtpumpkin; 03-31-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
haha ya. i like your idea though grtpumpkin...

also... i have a welder in my shop... so thats not out of the question either... i think that might be the easiest.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:05 PM
Use two C-clamps to hold the joint between header and down pipe together, this will take all the strain off the bolts you are trying to remove. Now use your vise grips to slowly turn the bolt. If I remember correctly those suckers come loose very slowly so don't expect huge results real fast.
Originally Posted by goodyonsen

also... i have a welder in my shop... so thats not out of the question either... i think that might be the easiest.
What If we combine both these ideas.... weld the head back on if possible and then clamp the pipe and header together and try to spin it back out..if that doesn't work then the idea about dremaling it out might be the best bet...althought it may need to come out to work on it if possible to get it out at all...just my thought

or if mack has an easy out kit we could use that...

Last edited by CuStoMmAdE; 03-31-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:26 PM
I am dying to know how you guys have a shop with a welder and managed to totally f$%^k up the bolts while NOT removing the header. Was it "I dare you to crawl under the Fit with these pliers day" ? Satisfy my curiosity please!

Old 03-31-2009, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member
Haha! Test pipe homie! And impact gun

Old 03-31-2009, 08:39 PM
I am dying to know how you guys have a shop with a welder and managed to totally f$%^k up the bolts while NOT removing the header. Was it "I dare you to crawl under the Fit with these pliers day" ? Satisfy my curiosity please!
Haha well first he brought to a friends house and tried to get the bolt out which ended up bending the bolt and then the next day he brought it into auto class where the lifts are to high and fit too low so he cant fit so we had to jack it up and crawl underneath and then as soon as he got the socket onto it and gave it a twist it snapped easy and so we are trying to figure out how to get it out best as possible...also he wanted to put the test pipe on so he could drive it home another reason why we havnt bothered with it sense then...

Haha! Test pipe homie! And impact gun or wut goodyonsen just said haha it was a real pain to get off..

Old 03-31-2009, 08:44 PM
I see, said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw! No more impact gun for you col. Braddock!

Old 03-31-2009, 08:46 PM
I see, said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw! No more impact gun for you col. Braddock!
haha yea prbly wasnt the best of ideas and didn't help that it was already bent also.. so any other ideas?
best i can come up with is an easy out bolt removal kit
or clamp the headers and test pipe together and weld the head on and hope for the best..

Last edited by CuStoMmAdE; 03-31-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:52 PM
5 Year Member
or weld... we are low on space though.

btw he ^^^ is my friend helping me with this

Quick Reply: anyone know anything about bolts??