1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Can you check your OEM air filter please?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 08:59 PM
Can you check your OEM air filter please?

Can you check the green (input) side of the air filter to see if it is oily?

I'd appreciate it.

Mine is and I don't know if it came that way or if something is wrong. I've never heard of filters being oiled until researching this topic. Apparently K&N is famous for this. I want to know if the OEM Honda filter uses this approach too.

Before I take it to the dealer I want to get more info.

Thanks

Old 04-05-2009, 10:19 PM
I am a honda tech and have noticed the samething, I would say its normal. I just put my cold air intake on so checked my stock filter since it was in my basement. It is to dirty to notice any oil, but the way the dirt is stuck on certain spots seams like it had oil on it. I wouldnt be surprised if honda does this to factory installed filters for brake in period on the new engine. Its all those little things that make honda engines run for so long lol. If it was engine oil you would know, would most likely be running like crap lol.

Last edited by FITTECH; 04-05-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by FITTECH
I am a honda tech and have noticed the samething, I would say its normal. I just put my cold air intake on so checked my stock filter since it was in my basement. It is to dirty to notice any oil, but the way the dirt is stuck on certain spots seams like it had oil on it. I wouldnt be surprised if honda does this to factory installed filters for brake in period on the new engine. Its all those little things that make honda engines run for so long lol. If it was engine oil you would know, would most likely be running like crap lol.
thanks man, much appreciated

er... the sexist in me assumed you're a dude

Old 04-06-2009, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FITTECH
I wouldnt be surprised if honda does this to factory installed filters for brake in period on the new engine.
Sorry, but I don't understand. Why would Honda put oil on a paper filter "for brake in"?

Thanks.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:30 PM
bump

still hoping someone can check their Fit's original filter for me

Old 04-07-2009, 09:29 AM
All OEM Honda filters come pre-oiled. If you go to your dealership or order online it will come in a sealed plastic bag, upon opening that bag you will be able to smell the oil, and see it on the bag...

<--Former Acura Tech

Old 04-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by gd3vbp
All OEM Honda filters come pre-oiled. If you go to your dealership or order online it will come in a sealed plastic bag, upon opening that bag you will be able to smell the oil, and see it on the bag...

<--Former Acura Tech
Thanks for the confirmation!

I'm surprised I can't find any info on this on the web.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:42 AM
makes me wonder

Since I haven't gotten many replies regarding a visual inspection of the FIT's original air filter, I am wondering if most here upgrade their filters to higher performance.

Of course, it could be that people have long ago replaced their OEM filters or simply don't feel compelled to answer this post.

Actually due to the general content of this forum, I'm beginning to wonder if the audience is more interested in "tricking out" their cars than maintaining them.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mozarwasagenius
Since I haven't gotten many replies regarding a visual inspection of the FIT's original air filter, I am wondering if most here upgrade their filters to higher performance.

Of course, it could be that people have long ago replaced their OEM filters or simply don't feel compelled to answer this post.

Actually due to the general content of this forum, I'm beginning to wonder if the audience is more interested in "tricking out" their cars than maintaining them.
LOL. People on this forum both like to trick out their Fits AND take care of them. When i took out my airbox to install my intake i opened it up just to take a look at the filter inside, and it did not seem oiled to me. Looked dry as a bone. Maybe if you've driven with the stock airbox for a long time i could imagine dirt/rain/oil getting stuck to the filter. That may be why?

Old 04-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by AnlDyxp_GD3
LOL. People on this forum both like to trick out their Fits AND take care of them. When i took out my airbox to install my intake i opened it up just to take a look at the filter inside, and it did not seem oiled to me. Looked dry as a bone. Maybe if you've driven with the stock airbox for a long time i could imagine dirt/rain/oil getting stuck to the filter. That may be why?
Did you look at both the top and bottom of the filter? They're definitely oiled, maybe not as wet as you'd think but they're oiled...

Old 04-09-2009, 12:08 PM
5 Year Member
Did you look at both the top and bottom of the filter? They're definitely oiled, maybe not as wet as you'd think but they're oiled...
oh really? huh. Well i could be wrong. I was installing my intake and i was just curious of what was inside the airbox. So I didnt pay much attention. Yeah i looked at the top and bottom, i just remember it was yellow. LOL. I dont recall it being wet or oiled though.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:49 PM
I have looked in to this oil on the filter thing, honda is no longer using regular (stock) air filters anymore. They seam to be of a different material know and yes they are oiled from the factory. replacement air filters that you get from the dealer will also have oil on it. Note the oil film is very slight but noticable. The oil on the filter is normal dont worry about it. I would also like to say that all of us using performance air filters do understand that, due to the increased flow of air filtration of the air suffers to some degree. I dont care what anyone says about the performence air filters, they due cause exesive engine wear. I clean mine every 20 000 km and do not use it in the winter due to all the salt and sand build up on the roads. Yes I put on over 50 000km a year on my car lol. So it gets cleaned alot.

Last edited by FITTECH; 04-09-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:40 PM
thanks everyone for the help on this

Much appreciated

The power of the internet

Old 04-09-2009, 07:46 PM
Much appreciated

The power of the internet
Couldn't just take my word for it...

Old 04-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Couldn't just take my word for it...
Trust but verify... multiple times

That's my motto

No offense intended gd3... I appreciate your help

Old 04-09-2009, 10:39 PM
Trust but verify... multiple times

That's my motto

No offense intended gd3... I appreciate your help
I'm just ****ing with you. I'd probably do the same.