1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

News is saying Honda Fit can kill you...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 01:28 PM
dam with that picture i feel more safe in the fit lol.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:32 PM
5 Year Member
uhhh... how's about those old civic eg,ek, so on.... and even a hachiroku can get a very damaging status when involve with a truck.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
lolz.

well I feel safe in my fit. nothing like my lesabre but you can't compare that thing to anything really

Old 04-14-2009, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by djk949
anything can potentially kill you...walking down the street, breathing the air, that taco bell combo meal #1, etc, etc. the point of this study is buy more american - notice all the cars were foreign branded? where's the aveo?
Yes, walk down the street and a honey badger can attack you and rip off your testies.......even before you get into your Fit.....

Last edited by wskwong; 04-14-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:55 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Whatever, I feel pretty confident in my Fit. It has airbags galore and really 9/10ths of surviving an accident is avoiding it all together which is easy to do in a spirited nimble car like the Fit.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member
07 fit vs 08 civic:
Name:  081006_171708.jpg
Views: 1741
Size:  97.8 KB
Name:  081006_171720.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  82.5 KB

08 civic had more internal damage than the fit.... fit just left more of a mess.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
fit won!!!!

uhhh... how's about those old civic eg,ek, so on.... and even a hachiroku can get a very damaging status when involve with a truck
yeah but the whole point is the market now, not 20+ years ago when all you had was one airbag if that.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:17 PM
No winners in that crash^^^ Looks like both are done. The Fit is probably one of the safer small cars going based on its well rounded approach to safety. That being it is nimble, has well designed crumple zones front and rear, and lots of airbags. If you watch the crash test video of the Smart, you'll see that it does something even the IIHS people have never seen. In the off-set frontal barrier test the car does a full rotation in the air after striking the barrier. They were more concerned with the occupants being harmed by contact with the interior of the car because the extremely short wheelbase magnafied the forces of the crash so much. I feel safe enough in the Fit to transport my wife and daughter in it on a regular basis, for me thats as strong a recomendation as I can offer.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member
I get cutoff in my Fit everyday. I'm always ready and expecting to get into an accident. They teach you this in motorcycle class. Be cautious 100% of the time will help prevent accidents overall.

The news is dumb sometimes. Boast about small cars and gas prices, then turn around and say they'll kill you (go back to buying a gas guzzler).

Old 04-14-2009, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by Super Mario
The news is dumb sometimes. Boast about small cars and gas prices, then turn around and say they'll kill you (go back to buying a gas guzzler).
Amen to that my friend! No amount of doom-saying will get me into an SUV.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cat
I was listening to the national news on the radio this morning while getting ready for work. They announced that owning a micro such as the Honda Fit could kill you in a frontal crash with a larger vehicle. No joke! Do you think!

Cat :x

Basic physics: big squashes little. I saw the piece and its funny, like it was some new revelation.
However, they don't point out that smaller cars have higher avoidance capabilities or this is equivalent to a minivan and a 2 ton truck colliding.
Its really getting ready for government designed cars from GM: a 6600 lb Aveo that gets 45 mpg (only on a dyno).

Old 04-14-2009, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member
Gotta love the news! The gas is $4.00 a gal please start buying smaller more fuel efficent cars. We have to start thinking Green!!

OH wait FORD, GM, CHRYSLER haven't come up with a good small car (Well or a good car period).

Oh crap looks like Honda, Toyota and Scion are kicking everyone's ass. Oh Shit they're out selling us. We need bailout money!!

Ok quick remember that crash that killed the rookie baseball player, there was a FIT involved lets spin that so that we can tell everyone that small cars vs a bigger car will kill them. They'll have to start buying from the big three then!!!

Retards!!

peace,

Old 04-14-2009, 11:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Skytraveler
Gotta love the news! The gas is $4.00 a gal please start buying smaller more fuel efficent cars. We have to start thinking Green!!

[...]

Ok quick remember that crash that killed the rookie baseball player, there was a FIT involved lets spin that so that we can tell everyone that small cars vs a bigger car will kill them. They'll have to start buying from the big three then!!!
Couldn't agree more; news these days is chock full of sensationalist "you/your children are in danger! The shocking truth about what can harm you... but it's not really THAT important, since we're making you wait 'til after this commercial break!"

The "good" news is that even if the story makes people rethink small, some can't afford the cost of a larger vehicle anyway, both in initial cost and in gas.

Incidentally, someone posted a Fifth Gear segment a few weeks back, where they crashed two identical-model cars together, but one was weighed down so it was lower by a few inches. The lighter car went right over the reinforced front frame of the heavier one, pushing more of the engine back into the passenger area. Moral of story: any vehicle where the front frame sits higher than yours will eat you for lunch in a front- or angled-crash, and the additional mass in SUVs just makes it that much worse.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:38 AM
5 Year Member
Old 04-15-2009, 08:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Skytraveler

OH wait FORD, GM, CHRYSLER haven't come up with a good small car (Well or a good car period).

Oh crap looks like Honda, Toyota and Scion are kicking everyone's ass. Oh Shit they're out selling us. We need bailout money!!

Retards!!

peace,

Please note the auto companies didn't ask for free money like the financial institutions, but loans to be repaid as Chrysler did, because the vehicle market changed radically in less than a year while the vehicle development cycle is 5 years. That requires lots of money.
Wait'll you see the Dept of Transportation and Consumer's proposed design for good GM cars.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
Please note the auto companies didn't ask for free money like the financial institutions, but loans to be repaid as Chrysler did, because the vehicle market changed radically in less than a year while the vehicle development cycle is 5 years. That requires lots of money.
Wait'll you see the Dept of Transportation and Consumer's proposed design for good GM cars.
There hasn't been a good Domestic car (GM,Ford,Chrysler) since the 50s, 60s and early 70s.

My philosophy is this: You have a product to sell and you create a company. You go through your Business plan and R&D and what not and you come up with products that you want the consumer to buy.

Whether you're a small business owner like a club or or restaurant or a big business owner like the auto makers you have to create a product that people will want to buy or frequent.

Once you fail at that most of the small business owners have to file for bankruptcy. They lose their shirts in what they tried to accomplish.

I have no problem with companies that can't compete and file for bankruptcy as there will always be another company that will take over the demand (if there is any for their products).

I look at the big 3 and I say to myself if you can't compete with Honda, Toyota, Scion, Nissan, Kia, Hyundai, and any other company that gives us another choice of vehicle to buy, then file bankruptcy and get the hell out of the business.

I don't see American Motor Cars (AMC) around. I don't see Plymouth around any more. I don't think I see Oldsmobile around anymore.
I don't see Eastern Airlines any longer as well. I don't see some of the restaurants that were big 3 to 5 years ago. I don't see NightClubs that flourished in the 90s nor the mom and pop stores that got screwed when they couldn't compete with Walmart. Why, because they failed.

We survived their failures, and we will survive any other failures including the big 3 car makers and any of the banks that have failed.

Unfortunately the government has stepped in and tried to tell us that we can't survive their failures, which IMHO is complete BS. So whether it's the financial institutions looking for free money or the big three trying to get a loan it doesn't matter, if your product sucks and you can't compete just admit it and move on.

peace,

Old 04-15-2009, 02:00 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
THis kind of feels like a return to "President Bush" tactics where you scare the crap out of people to get your way. Somebody is giving a nice kickback for socking Honda, Smart & Toyota in the balls on this test.

No Aveo & new Fiesta on this test? WTF?

Old 04-15-2009, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
The same tactics were being employed in the early part of the Reagan dynasty..... I was a contractor for a big city newspaper and purchased a V.W. Diesel powered pickup truck and was criticized by a guy that drove a Chevy truck for not being patriotic. I had him raise the hood on his LUV and I did the same with mine. His truck was built in Japan by Isuzu and mine was built was built in Westmoreland Pennsylvania..... He still said that I wasn't a good American.... Our automobile industry has been going under since 64 when Studebaker went under..... People here favour form over function and are more concerned with an image that says , look what I can't afford to drive, than with living within their means.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:50 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
Originally Posted by RickyGoshDarn
hahahaha!!!!

Old 04-15-2009, 03:26 PM
"Youngest FitFreak"(without a Fit)
5 Year Member
This is stupid. Yesterday there was an accident in Miami where a Smart car collided with Civic and both drivers died. You aren't safe of the road. The only speed that is safe is 0 MPH. The safest thing to do is to not get in a car. But life sucks that way, and this doesn't work out in real life, so accidents do happen. You can only avoid them, and if you don't, it's the luck of the draw.

Quick Reply: News is saying Honda Fit can kill you...