1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Aftermarket audio options for 08 base Fit

Old 05-31-2009, 03:25 PM
Aftermarket audio options for 08 base Fit

OK, I've had my 08 base-model Fit, and the only thing I don't like about it is the sound quality isn't that great. It just sounds too tinny (I usually have it at volume 20). So I'm trying to figure out what to do about aftermarket audio. I don't want a new head unit cause I like the current one and I hear it's a pain in the arse to install a new head unit for a Fit, so essentially I'm trying to figure out a few things:

1) With a very limited budget (college student), should I upgrade the speakers themselves, keep the speakers and get woofers and/or amps, or something else?

2) Which specific audio models (speakers, woofers, or amps) are going to give me the best balance between sound clarity and sheer power?

Thanks.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:37 AM
go with a headunit or speakers. if your not happy do the other one.

adding sub woofers, youll still have the same sound...only additional base. and it will run you at least 600 bucks for something decent

check bestbuy.com and see if you cant find them new for cheaper on ebay.

just stay away from cheap brands like duel. ive been using pioneer headunits and ive been very happy with them.

the head unit makes the power and sends it to the speakers. the higher quality signal you got, the better its gonna sound.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:18 AM
It's a pain to instal new headunits in the fit? I havent heard that yet, what's the problem?

Old 06-01-2009, 10:47 AM
5 Year Member
The only problem installing a new headunit in the Fit is that the OEM headunit is integrated into the dashboard. The way around this problem is to buy a new panel with a 2DIN opening for aftermarked installation of a headunit.

There is many to select from (Honda, Scosche and Metra is used most). Mak a a search in the "Fit Ice" forum and you will find lots of answers there.

I have changed my OEM headunit with an Pioner AVI-HD3BT (AVIC-Z2 in US). I used a original Honda 2DIN panel kit. Installation was easy.
The sound improvement was huge even with stock speakers. But I'm planing to move them to the rear and buy new ones for the front.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:55 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i would do the HU for sure, and see if you can find some used Sport speakers in the FS section.

(i think the base fit uses different speakers vs the sport? ) the stock Sport speakers is not bad at all...it's the HU that's killing it.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
i would do the HU for sure, and see if you can find some used Sport speakers in the FS section.

(i think the base fit uses different speakers vs the sport? ) the stock Sport speakers is not bad at all...it's the HU that's killing it.
i agree with this. idk if base and sport speakers are different, but the stock system didnt sound bad at all. obviously aftermarket sounds much better. most headunits are crap in cars stock, especially on the cheaper models. we got one of the most inexpensive cars on the market lmao.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
^^ yah, true, but the 09's stereo sounds better in stock form...not as good as 08 with aftermarket HU though.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member
Currently I have Blapunkt Component speakers in my front doors and they are horrible, better than stock but still horrible. In the rear doors I have Kicker's they sound much clearer and louder! I will be buying 2 more for the fronts soon! Then in the trunk I have a 12" Kicker sub with a 300 rockford amp. This is all with the stock head unit and out of the group of my friend I have the loudest system.

The stock head unit has plenty of power to just replace the door speakers and add an extra amp for any additional sound you may want. Only reason I will be replacing the stock head unit soon is because I would like a movie screen.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ciggy
Currently I have Blapunkt Component speakers in my front doors and they are horrible, better than stock but still horrible. In the rear doors I have Kicker's they sound much clearer and louder! I will be buying 2 more for the fronts soon! Then in the trunk I have a 12" Kicker sub with a 300 rockford amp. This is all with the stock head unit and out of the group of my friend I have the loudest system.

The stock head unit has plenty of power to just replace the door speakers and add an extra amp for any additional sound you may want. Only reason I will be replacing the stock head unit soon is because I would like a movie screen.
The real reason why the speakers sound so bad is because the HU is so crappy.

With all things audio, the source determines everything.
If your HU sends out a crappy signal to begin with, not even the most expensive speakers in the world will do anything to improve the sound quality.

Unlike in the US, we don't have integrated HUs in our Jazzes. I swapped out the stock Kenwood HU for a Pioneer DEH-P7950UB (DEH-P6900UB in the US) and I heard the difference - it was like night and day. I never bothered swapping speakers. The Pioneer HU liberated much more of the stock speakers' ability.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by Ciggy

component speakers should be amped with an exterior amp. thats why the back speakers that are coaxle sound better....

Old 06-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Well Part of the reason is the HU is crappy but I have been doing car audio for 13 years and I never in my life seen a speaker worst than the Honda Fit ones I own a 2007 Fit Sport and when I removed the speakers I nearly shit myself cursed how bad they were they are just a piece of hard plastic with a hard plastic shell they are horrible

I replaced my head unit with a Alpine CDA-9886 and I noticed alittle better high response with a small Low response. Replaced the front speakers with infinity Reference 6020 removed the rear speakers. 100 watt Profile amp for front speakers and now its crisp clean sound. The tweeters are decent stock ones but I figured Replace them I'm currently using them in another set up. But the Woofers are horrible they need replacement. And I added a Infinity sub and a Profile 300Watt amp

The headunit is the most Important thing more important than the speakers or amp
I love Alpine Head Units I find if you amplfy shit your gonna get shit so I Love the crisp sound out of a alpine new with Install kit from Crutchfield for 179.99 plus shipping

Amps
You want to match your RMS of the Amp with the speaker or go slightly over I only care about RMS watts peak watts are pointless you will NEVER Hit peak also keep in mind your Ohms
Profile are cheap but run alittle warm but do the job
if money is no object go with Diamond but as you said money is a object Profile is not a bad amp for the price just do not mount on seat or directly to something lift it up slightly 3/4 to 1 inches

Speakers
I'm a infinity fan I like alpine speakers I'm a componet speaker fan I perfer the seperate sound than a 2way 3 way or 4 way.

Diamond is IMHO the best but money wise You can find Infinity or Alpine for fairly cheap New off of Ebay

Old 06-17-2009, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by Fla3fi
Well Part of the reason is the HU is crappy but I have been doing car audio for 13 years and I never in my life seen a speaker worst than the Honda Fit ones I own a 2007 Fit Sport and when I removed the speakers I nearly shit myself cursed how bad they were they are just a piece of hard plastic with a hard plastic shell they are horrible

I replaced my head unit with a Alpine CDA-9886 and I noticed alittle better high response with a small Low response. Replaced the front speakers with infinity Reference 6020 removed the rear speakers. 100 watt Profile amp for front speakers and now its crisp clean sound. The tweeters are decent stock ones but I figured Replace them I'm currently using them in another set up. But the Woofers are horrible they need replacement. And I added a Infinity sub and a Profile 300Watt amp

The headunit is the most Important thing more important than the speakers or amp
I love Alpine Head Units I find if you amplfy shit your gonna get shit so I Love the crisp sound out of a alpine new with Install kit from Crutchfield for 179.99 plus shipping

Amps
You want to match your RMS of the Amp with the speaker or go slightly over I only care about RMS watts peak watts are pointless you will NEVER Hit peak also keep in mind your Ohms
Profile are cheap but run alittle warm but do the job
if money is no object go with Diamond but as you said money is a object Profile is not a bad amp for the price just do not mount on seat or directly to something lift it up slightly 3/4 to 1 inches

Speakers
I'm a infinity fan I like alpine speakers I'm a componet speaker fan I perfer the seperate sound than a 2way 3 way or 4 way.

Diamond is IMHO the best but money wise You can find Infinity or Alpine for fairly cheap New off of Ebay
I agree with this but prefer alpine over the infinity's because there are way more mids on alpines than there are in infinity speakers. To do things on a budget is hard now a days if you crave high quality sound for small budget. When you talk about small budget, still going to run you 3-400 for something decent.

IMO, I would rather switch everything out, deck, speakers, and just put a small sub in. I'm sure local classifieds will have things of your interest at a cheaper price. It's used, but as long as it works, who cares right? or , find someone you know that works for Best Buy or a store similar and they can get you discount. All the car audio stuff in stores have a super high markup. The discount you get knowing someone should be about 40% off.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
stock radio is an alpine

Old 07-03-2009, 06:27 AM
You need to make sure u have ur stock amp turned all the way up.I spent 350 dollars for a real nice box 12inch cerwin vega woofer fairly cheap amp.I have my highs/treble set on 5 or6 and my system sounds very good 4 the money people who here it trip on it because it sounds clean with clean bass I wanted to by new seperates but they think my highs sound great.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member
I want to put a simple powered sub in my Fit Sport. (I have a powered Bazooka in my other car and I wanted to do the same in my Fit.) My Fit is still under warrenty and I do not want to take the dash out.

Could someone tell me a little about the stock radio/speaker system that came in my 2008 Sport? Does it have RCA jacks on the back of the HU? How do the speakers come out? Do you have to take the door panels off to change the speakers? What would be a good way to get a 12 volt power tap to the rear of the car?

Everything else in my life has a sub and it seems I can no longer live with the weak sound in the Fit.

Thanks,
Carl
2008 Red Sport Fit

Last edited by Carl914; 07-31-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:04 PM
To replace the speakers you have to take the door panel off, then cut up the stock speakers and install the new speakers *INSIDE* the housing of the stock speaker, then install it again like stock.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:03 PM
I'm curious about the stock head unit too. I know you can rig up subs via the rear speakers but then the sound isn't as crisp and generally doesn't sound as good. anyone checked out the stock 09 head unit?

Old 07-31-2009, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the confirmation on the door panels. I looked at them today and I hoped I was wrong about taking the panels off.

Don't get me wrong, I can do it, there is almost nothing on my Vette that I have not messed with including the audio. I just swore to myself I was never going to take my new Fit into my own hands. (I guess I have just gotten too lazy.)

Going to The Keys Sunday. Wish I had a better sounding system for that long haul.

Thanks.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:43 PM
5 Year Member
Went to Best Buy today and listened to all the 6.5 speakers. Some sounded better than others, but all in all, they all sounded like crap to me. I wonder if they had the EQ set flat to help boost sub sales? I couldn't see myself spending any money when they all sounded brittle and spikey to me. I guess a sub is going to be the only answer for me.

So, please help me out. What is the best way to take off the door panels?

Thanks,
Carl

Old 08-01-2009, 07:58 PM
they probably didn't have em amped. did u hear the hertz space series?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket audio options for 08 base Fit