1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Best way to keep my Fit from being stolen

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 10:45 AM
Best way to keep my Fit from being stolen

Hello all, I am staying at an apartment complex that isnt in the best area. There have been quite a few auto thefts recently and I want to secure my car as best as possible. I have an 08 base model Fit no alarm, but dosent it come with some type of imobilizer standard? Anyways, Im looking at the "Autolock" but Im open to any and all suggestions. I have no fancy rims, just the standard hubcaps.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:44 AM
5 Year Member
Move...

Seriously though. Anything visual will help deter someone, the Club is a pretty obvious choice, but it's not hard to remove if someone wants to put in the effort. You can install an alarm, some are pretty inexpensive. Overall, all you can do is try to convince someone it's not worth the hassle to steal your car, but if they know what they're doing and decide they want your car, all the security measures in the world won't stop them from taking it.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:15 PM
keep it stock and get an alarm.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:19 PM
Sit in a tree with a shot gun and watch it.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:45 PM
5 Year Member
The best bet IMO would be to get a quick release steering wheel hub w/ lock. This way you can remove the steering wheel, then lock the hub so thieves can't use their own steering wheel on it.

In reality though, if they want your car, they can still tow it.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:27 PM
Banned
Im with them

Originally Posted by FitPilot
Sit in a tree with a shot gun and watch it.
Get an alarm or stickers for an alarm(on ebay) and get a club
don't leave anything in plain sight.
I grew up where they would cut fingers/hands off to get jewelry and some idiot dragged my mom a block down the street for her purse with me and my sister kicking and punching him.
I had almost all my bikes stolen, shoes even at the beach(new pair of Roos) and the house broken into twice.
if they want it they will get it.
Hope you got good insurance.
or plan to move sometime soon!

Old 06-06-2009, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member
best way not to have your car stolen = sell it.

srsly though, some good advice in this thread. The gd3's do have a stock alarm that honks the horn and flashes the lights if you unlock the doors from inside (after using the remote to lock it)... ok, the sport models have an alarm at least. lol

I had lo-jack + early warning installed on my fit by the dealer when I bought the car. I travel to far to alot of places that are less than reputable (or just through them) to not have some sort of recovery if something should happen.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
Put Chevy Aveo badging on it

Old 06-06-2009, 02:30 PM
i love college
Originally Posted by MarkyMark
Put Chevy Aveo badging on it
that works too

Old 06-06-2009, 02:36 PM
make it ugly or put a paging alarm, low jack.. or a sticker that says 'bait car program' on the window

Old 06-06-2009, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by HONDAMATIC
make it ugly or put a paging alarm, low jack.. or a sticker that says 'bait car program' on the window
no1s gonna steal a base model fit. people steal cars for mainly 2 reasons. thats to rip it apart, and sell it for parts. if your cars all stock - you have nothing to worry about. if you have rims, be sure to have wheel locks.

the 2nd reason is to use the car in a crime. (aka steal a car and use it as the get away car after robbing a bank.) in that case, they go after older cars, because they are much easier to hotwire.

if your still not comfortable, install an alarm. but thats not nessasary. honestly. whos going to steal a stock car? they want the older civics that they can sell the parts they steal to dumb highschool kids.

what kind of cars were stollen from the complex? i would put my money on civics, or integras, possibly v dubs. lotta kids are starting to work on those as well.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:01 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
According to Edmunds, yes. Base Fits in 2008 came with engine immobilizers. That pretty much stops it from being driven away. As far as I know there is nothing whatsoever you can do to prevent from being towed or hauled away on a flatbed. Hide valuables, don't option it up, park in well lit, well traveled spots. Good luck.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:08 PM
Install a killswitch in a good location where it's not obvious where it is. I.E. don't have a switch installed in plain sight on the dash or glove box. But have a switch put somewhere clever that has to be pushed in order for the car to crank. I was told by my mechanic that it would be about 60 to install it, thats far cheaper than an alarm.

But like everyone else said, the thief will get the car if they really want it. They will notice the car not turning over and look for the switch, which is why you have to hide it. If nothing else maybe it will deter them.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:22 PM
yeah i had a fuel pump kill in my old accord.. pretty easy to do

Old 06-08-2009, 09:21 AM
get a big ass chain, and chain it from the differential to a tree.

other steps could be taking the steering wheel off, taking the ecu out, killswitches, boots, clutch lock.

funny story to share with u guys - my friend woke up in the middle of the night, someone was breaking into his civic. he got up, grabbed his 4 foot samari sword, and ran outside screaming. the 2 kids ran away real quick. not to mention hes 6 foot 5 and a good 300 pounds. picture shaq running after with a sword...in his underwear.

for the next month, he left the hood open with all the windows down. they never came back.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
newer cars really dont get stolen unless they are real special or just kids wanting to joyride it. with the immobilizer the latter is already taken care.

best is keeping it stock and get an alarm or club as noted above.

your worst fear is getting key'ed, bird croppings, getting hit in the parking lot while you're away, etc. probably.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Get a really big pit bull and keep him in the car. Make sure he sleeps in the footwell so any thieves don't know he's there until he has their leg in his jaws.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Juliane
Get a really big pit bull and keep him in the car. Make sure he sleeps in the footwell so any thieves don't know he's there until he has their leg in his jaws.
tch juliane!

Pit bulls are not guard dogs: they are the only breed to have been bred to never bite a human, as well as be handled by anyone. they're also not supposed to be big dogs.

Not to ruin your fun, but as an advocate of the bully breeds I like the debunk the stereotypes.

Now if you had said rottweiler, german shepard, mastiff, that's cool. They were all bred to be guard dogs. (and I like all those breeds too)

edit: ok, more fun spoiling! For those of you who have bullies, please don't leave them unattended in the car! So many of those types of dogs are stolen from cars!

Last edited by Fit4Pits; 06-08-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:03 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Yeah, I know, they are sweeties, but everyone THINKS they are mean, and they usually have really GIANT heads with LOUD barks!

How can you steal a dog that's growling at you and will bite if you do? Oh NM they probably chloroform it, right?

And, the OP lives in FL where it's too hot to leave a dog in a car most of the time...

So disregard my advice! Go back to the samurai sword approach.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
Fit4Pits, funny you mention this. My dog Milo (85 lb Mastiff/Bulldog Mix) woke me up barking (which he NEVER does) Saturday night..The next day my neighbor tells me they stole a motorcycle from an open garage across the street. Milo noticed it and tried to alert somebody, the family's own dog (a boxer) was sleeping in an utility room right next to the garage and didn't make a peep.
Now I know my dog is a watchdog! Plus he has a real intimidating bark/growl...

I would also opt for the sword

Quick Reply: Best way to keep my Fit from being stolen