1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Switched from Fit to Insight

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
So I've been corrected. I figured since you were in a Fit and going to the Insight you were Honda minded. The resale on them has always been good for me. When I drove a Prius back in 2007, it felt like I was driving a vacuum cleaner. The 2010 was much better than that original drive.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
Good choice. I've never been a big fan of the Prius.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:37 PM
Just a follow up now that I have more than 32 miles on the car.

I'm at the end of the tank of gas that came with the Insight - 388 miles. I'm a little dissapointed because earlier the readout indicated a potential 550 mile range. I admit I have no idea what size the tank is. Easy to find out though. The readout indicates 44.2 mpg. We'll see when I fill it if that's acurate.

Some observations starting with the ones that present themselves most often when driving (so far) -

The engine shuts off (at idle to conserve energy) a little too soon imo. Manuevering into the garage is a bit annoying when the engine cuts out while trying to inch forward. Also, does the motor really need to cut out at stop signs? It's off so briefly that I can't imagine the gas/emission savings makes up for starter wear. And, the car will be off when in gear, but it starts when put in park. Maybe a reason for that, but that reason doesn't readily come to mind. I would think a 10 second delay and off in park would be better. Aside from the criticism, I do like that it cuts out at stop lights where one sits a bit longer. The start up is quick, but noticeable. You'll cross the intersection a few tenths of a second later than conventional cars. I would not try to beat fast cross traffic at an un-controlled intersection. Timing is more important now than it used to be. I'm adapting.

Some reviewers blast the car for the weird slipping clutch sensation upon acceleration. I honestly haven't noticed that, but I take it pretty easy. However, highway on ramps have been a non issue - gets up there just fine and in a normal manner imo. What I have noticed is the opposite of the criticism - the car seems to accelerate using the transmission rather than an RPM increase. It's a strange sensation. The car is so quiet and the engine isn't changing pitch at all, but the car is accelerating. The tach reads steady right around 1000 RPM up to about 30 mph and then starts climbing after that. Kind of like what I think a turbine drive would be like. I like it.

Still feels quiet and smooth on the highway. My wife will drive it whereas the Fit was often left in the garage because she wasn't comfortable in it on the highway.

Again, contrary to criticism, I love the seats. Lots of lumbar and a forward tilted head rest which I have always preferred. It fits my tall frame well. On the other hand, my wife hates the head rest to the extent that I found it removed and laying in the back seat today. My wife is short in the saddle so the seat itself is tall enough to prevent neck injury in the event of an accident. Other than that she finds the seat comfortable. That said, my guess is most people will not like the seats which will be a deal breaker for many. Honda should have gone more middle of the road there. I predict different seats for the next model year Insight. My "6-1" son fits fine in the back seat if my wife moves her seat forward half way, which leaves her with plenty of leg room. He would be squished sitting behind me with the seat all the way back.

Not having the ability to flip the seat bottoms up in back really limits the carrying ability as compared to the Fit. It's good, but not great.

Another criticism was the dashboard. Where was that criticism for the Civic which has the same bi-level speedo readout? Furtheremore, did they not see the 2010 Prius dash? It's waaaay more weird. I think the Insight's dash very nice - no complaints.

Overall I like the car and I'm glad I bought it. I do recognize that it is not for everyone. If you are considering one, take it for a loong test ride and check it out carefully to make sure it's right for you. I think that is wise when buying any car, let alone one that departs from conventional paradigm, i.e. hybrid, diesel, etc.

Last edited by nevada72; 08-24-2009 at 10:40 PM.