1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Will a bicycle fit inside the fit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 05:32 PM
weird, i haven't seen any mtb in the stores i went to that requires that, maybe it's different bike type? mtb requires different height setting all the time depends on where you ride; i don't believe a bike w/out QR will make it any harder if someone wants to take it; but oh well, that's just IMO

didn't mean to hi-jack the topic

Old 10-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by vile10
i was able to fit a full size mtb in w/out taking the front wheel off; but i want to fit 1 more person in the back so i did this

suggested by fellow member here, final cost = $25, $15 for the fork rack, $10 for the 2x4 and pins

May I ask where you got your fork rack for $15? I was also wondering if anybody has used the same idea as the person here but put a fork rack on the floor of the car in tall mode, so the bike will stand up and be secured in tall mode. So far I've only seen pictures of fork racks used in the back.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by robothebobo
Some bikes will fit, others will not... at least not easily.

My mountain bike (19" frame size) will NOT fit comfortably in the Fit. It's too long for 'tall mode', even with the front wheel off, and also too tall to fit in the back with the seats down and the front wheel off, when placed vertically. It either needs the saddle taken down, or to be laid flat, with some wiggling and twisting to make enough room for the front seats to not be pushed all the way forward.

This is the bike, FWIW: 2009 JAMIS BICYCLES - DAKAR XCR PRO
Your bike will fit in the Fit tall mode, I don't know how you are doing it but I have a 24" mountain bike and it fits perfectly. The only thing I needed to do is to turn the handle bars backwards(handle bars facing back).

Old 10-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Take a look, below is what I used this as a template for my 2009, works great. Places like Performance Bike, Performance Bicycle - Bikes, bike accessories, bike gear, cycling equipment, cycling apparel, and more, Nashbar, Bike Nashbar - Always a Great Deal on Cycling will carry the brackets too.

https://www.fitfreak.net/gallery/dis...lbum=383&pos=0

Good luck...

Old 10-10-2009, 07:56 PM
I got a 29er mountain bike that goes in no problem. I would like to get a rack though.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Well, I went to a bike shop today and got a bike that I love, and it JUST fits in tall mode, but I have to follow an exact calculated series of movements to get the handlebars in the door. I didn't try turning the steering wheel backwards! I'll try that first thing in the morning. I'm not sure how you all are fitting your bikes so easily. Mine is a 15" frame which I thought is the smallest guy frame you can get. BTW, this is my bike.

BikePedia - 2009 Marin Stinson Complete Bicycle

Tall mode is great because the tires stay on the floor (except for where the back touches the door) and it stays upright because of the space it's in. Plus, you don't have to take out your cargo cover and can still keep your trunk a trunk.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:58 PM
My 52cm road bike fit very easily with both wheels attached with the back seats folded down (bike laying down and front wheel turned 90 degrees). Will even fit with both front seats pushed all the way back. With a large blanket to protect the bikes, you might even be able to fit two laying down with both wheels attached.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member
bikes

The GD Fit is great for bikes! I ride a 56/57'ish size road bike, and can fit any of mine in the second seat area w/ the back seat in tall mode. Or I can lay the rear seat down & lay one road bike down w/ the front wheel still on. Or I can put a couple in the back on a fork-mount slider board, as others have demonstrated here. AND, I was surprised to find that with the rear seats down & the passenger front seat laid all the way back, I could even fit my Surly Big Dummy cargo bike in there - the frame on this bike is longer than a tandem!! And for max space, I've got a hitch-mount bike carrier that can hold four bikes off the back. The Fit rules for bike hauling!

Old 11-04-2009, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member
I've fit a Santa Cruz V10 and a NS Bike Metropolis, just need to remove the front wheels of each. But the Santa Cruz need to be a lil bit cross side.

I love my Fit so much for it. When i'm going in big city like Montreal or Quebec city, Its like 2hours of driving. So my bike is fully protected of thiefs when I stop to eat somewhere or when it rain or when I sleep somewhere.

The Fit is so perfect!

Old 11-05-2009, 10:26 PM
just pitching in on the seat post.. most bikes over 1500 have a hex setup.. my cannondale has one also wich I thought was weird.. Until the seat post theft deal.. Cause on my hardtail I have a titec post and titanium seat worth 200 or so..

and I cant set my bike up cause the seat hits the roof.. gonna try the tall mmode mount option

Old 11-05-2009, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member
the seat it the roof? damn! how longer is your seat?

Old 11-10-2009, 12:43 PM
just get a roof rack... /thread

Old 11-10-2009, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by beatd
smart-ass much?

Old 11-10-2009, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black01
Yes it will. I do it all the time. Here's a sample picture below, not mine.

This bike is tiny!
I've a dirt bike jump (Ns Metropolis 2) and i cant do it like this.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by beatd
Why? So your MPG takes a hit, and potentially hit your bike on your garage or other low-hanging objects? Not to mention the $$$ of roof racks. They're a good tool when you don't have much room in the car, but when possible, stick it in the car.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
I lost a very expensive recumbent off of a roof rack.... They do kill your fuel mileage and make it hard to pass on two lane roads at speeds over 50.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
u dont need to remove the front wheel if u dont have any passengers, just tip the front passengers seat forward tilted & u can fit any bike by turning the front wheel depending on space

Old 03-11-2011, 02:24 PM
My beach cruiser fits, but I wish I didn't have to remove the front wheel

Old 11-20-2011, 12:12 PM
Foldable bicycle

I can fit my entry level foldable bicycle ( 20" wheel size)
folding only from the frame (no need to collapse handle bar or the seat post) to the back sit and there is still room for one passenger.
I dont know any other car that can do this especially, this size car.

Use the link below to see 2 pictures I took. (Couldnt post the pictures directly,here).

You should be able to do this with most folding bikes, potentially, even with bigger wheels..

Customer Image Gallery for Dahon Boardwalk Folding Bike, Obsidian

Old 11-20-2011, 12:37 PM
5 Year Member
If I fold seats down, my mtn bike fits in--I just need to turn the wheel & I lay the bike flat on it's side. I also have a trailer hitch and swagman rack when I carry more than one bike, or don't feel like messing with the rear seats.

Quick Reply: Will a bicycle fit inside the fit?