1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Fit turns on but shift knob won't move from park what can be wrong??

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 09:17 PM
Fit turns on but shift knob won't move from park what can be wrong??

Bought a fit recently and everything is ok i turn it on but when i press the shift knob buttton to go from park to drive or reverse it doesn't move from park... so what i been doing to get it to drive or reverse is by sticking another key in the small slot to get the shift knob move from park...

if someone knows what are the causes that can make the shift knob from not moving when the car is on please let me know!!

Old 08-24-2009, 09:29 PM
5 Year Member
When this happens do you jiggle the steering wheel to see if that helps?

Old 08-24-2009, 09:34 PM
There is probably some sort of switch or sensor on the brake pedal that is out of adjustment. When the engine is running, you have to put pressure on the brake pedal (or the sensor has to sense that you have that pressure on the pedal) before you can shift out of park.

should be a simple fix.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:34 PM
Maybe a stupid question, but do you have the break down when you try to shift out of park?

Old 08-24-2009, 09:36 PM
you need to go to the dealer and get a new brake interlock switch. Most likely the switch under the dash on the brake is not working. Check your brake lights. Many times they use the same switch for both. If this switch is good, it is the solenoid on the gear shift the unlocks the stick.

You can test the switch with a multi meter and the solenoid with a 9volt battery. If it is still under warranty take it in and they will fix it in a few hours if they have the parts on hand.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:47 PM
Ihh IS Jaaaarome!
5 Year Member
check you horn/brake fuse... it happend to me...

Old 08-24-2009, 10:05 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
you need to push in the clutch.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by seeremlive
you need to go to the dealer and get a new brake interlock switch. Most likely the switch under the dash on the brake is not working. Check your brake lights. Many times they use the same switch for both. If this switch is good, it is the solenoid on the gear shift the unlocks the stick.

You can test the switch with a multi meter and the solenoid with a 9volt battery. If it is still under warranty take it in and they will fix it in a few hours if they have the parts on hand.
^^^ couldnt have said it better.

had this happen on older cars at our dealer. only thing about it is it usually happens on older cars but doesnt always lock only sometimes.

the sensor on the brake pedal is probably gonna be your problem. if its under warranty just bring it to the dealer. if not just order the switch and change it yourself.

literally takes 5 minutes tops. all you needs is to unplug the sensor if it has a nut brake it loose and unscrew it.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by seeremlive

+1 Bump

Old 09-16-2009, 04:24 AM
thanks for the info everyone really appreciate it haven't got a chance to check wats going on im going to remove the center consoe tomorrow to see if the shift knob switch is jammed or somthing..i dont have any check engine light or any lights on my dash so its probaby something minor the switch or something...

Old 09-16-2009, 05:25 AM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hondafitblue
thanks for the info everyone really appreciate it haven't got a chance to check wats going on im going to remove the center consoe tomorrow to see if the shift knob switch is jammed or somthing..i dont have any check engine light or any lights on my dash so its probaby something minor the switch or something...
It's probably what others have said already. You have to step on the brake to get the car to come out of park. If that is not working, you will need a new part.

Mentioned for other Hondas elsewhere too:

Accord Stuck In Park, No Brake Lights

WikiAnswers - How do you repair a 1999 Honda Accord that is stuck in park

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2310073

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2318731

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2602919

The gear shift on my Honda Fit gets stuck -usual... - JustAnswer

TONS of makes and models here:
Won shift park Problem Solving at FixYa
------

For the shifter area:

You can view the blow-apart illustration at Bernardi:
Find Honda Parts and Honda Accessories by Car Model - Bernardi Honda Parts and Accessories

Enter Fit, your year, 5 doors, whatever model, AT5 for the transmission.
Then select "Chassis" on the left menu (it's pink)
Then choose "Select Lever"

Gives you the part numbers too.
------

For under the dash:

Here's the fix-it on the Brake light switch/ Interlock:
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2559627

I don't know what fuse it is, that you would need to check, maybe someone can mention it? It's talked about here for another kind of Honda:
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2548943

Old 09-16-2009, 10:40 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
sounds like your lockout solenoid is either dead or seized. can happen if one accidentally spills something over the shifter.

while your car is on and in park, step on the brake to see if you
can hear a faint click in the shifter area. if not, your solenoid is
not working properly.

not sure which fuse that's under but might want to check as well.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:22 PM
happened to me when the guy was installing my viper...he came out and was like....does this ever happen? im like wtf are you kidding me? and then i told him to recheck the wires and turns out he messed up and fixed it within 5 mins.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:56 AM
I just had this happen to me and called for parts (break positioning sensor) then i realized that when i locked my car the horn didnt sound, upon further inspection o realized the break and horn share a common fuse and just changing the fuse solved the problem.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by wagmac
I just had this happen to me and called for parts (break positioning sensor) then i realized that when i locked my car the horn didnt sound, upon further inspection o realized the break and horn share a common fuse and just changing the fuse solved the problem.

hey thanks guyz for all the input... it was just a fuse like wagmac mentioned!!

Old 10-02-2011, 11:41 AM
5 Year Member
At first it is necessary to check up lamps in stop headlights, then safety locks and only then the relay under a pedal Brake

Old 08-25-2012, 09:48 PM
Thank you, guys! Once again you've solved my problem. Simple, straight forward solution. BE CERTAIN TO STEP ON BRAKE WHEN SHIFTING OUT OF "PARK."

The obvious is not always the obvious, at least to this brain!

(BTW, 2nd Generation, 2011 Fit, but found my answer here. You 1st Generation guys rock!)

Last edited by Real Mary; 08-25-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:23 PM

Old 08-31-2012, 12:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Real Mary
BE CERTAIN TO STEP ON BRAKE WHEN SHIFTING OUT OF "PARK."
Should be SOP for A/T just as clutch pedal is for M/T. Some cars won't even start w/o your foot on the pedal...

Old 03-28-2016, 12:38 PM
Replacing the brake switch worked for my 2010 Fit Sport auto. Only $8 from Honda dealer. Part #36750-SMA-013. Took 5 minutes to change, mostly to remove the plastic lower dash cover making sure not to break it. Sure beats having to press a screwdriver in every time I want to drive

I checked the fuse first but since the horn worked, I didn't figure that would be it. What a pain getting in there. The fuses are so tiny.

Had I known it was $8 and 5 minutes, I would have done this a month ago.

Thanks to the previous posters in this thread!