1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

premium gas

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 05:13 PM
premium gas

is it good or bad for the fit?

Old 09-07-2009, 06:45 PM

I run 87 octane in all of my cars and get great mileage.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:48 PM
I dont see why it would be bad ....

Old 09-07-2009, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
Higher Octane is a waste of gas. Check the ECO forum for more info.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:54 PM
bad. higher octane=slower burn.

slower burn on a boosted or super high compression engine is great because it prevents detonation.

slower burn on a low powered moderate compression engine like ours will simply cause an incomplete combustion cycle in the chamber leaving deposits on your plugs and valves, as well as causing your cat to filter even more unburnt fuel and shorten its life. Gas mileage debates still roar over this issue, but just run 87 unless you go with high comp pistons or boost/nitrous.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:03 AM
5 Year Member
It ain't bad for the car, but it's probably going to be bad for your wallet.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:51 AM
I'd only use premium for high performance cars.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:36 PM
agree... not bad but good for your wallet

Old 09-08-2009, 07:23 PM
For what it's worth, the Fit ECU does run more ignition advance w/ premium fuel. Doesn't mean it makes financial sense to do so, though. Just means it probably isn't going to hurt your gas mileage any, and it *might* make some more power.

Anyone interested in all the data, search under my user name.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fit4me?!
is it good or bad for the fit?

Its only bad if the added cost is bad for you. But it will make very little difference in mpg, certainly not for the extra cost.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:03 AM
5 Year Member
It is bad cuz the rest of the octane that is extra wont burn and will have to evaporate.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by asiann1nja
It is bad cuz the rest of the octane that is extra wont burn and will have to evaporate.
This is complete nonsense. The octane rating is a measure of a fuel's resistance to detonation. As long as it's unleaded, high octane fuel is neither good nor bad for a Fit's relatively low compression (10.4:1) engine, but it will lighten your wallet faster.

Octane rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HowStuffWorks "What does octane mean?"

Old 09-09-2009, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Selden
This is complete nonsense. The octane rating is a measure of a fuel's resistance to detonation. As long as it's unleaded, high octane fuel is neither good nor bad for a Fit's relatively low compression (10.4:1) engine, but it will lighten your wallet faster.

Octane rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HowStuffWorks "What does octane mean?"
I am not saying it is bad for the engine, i actually ment your paying more for higher octane gas that wont all be used, meaning wasted/Pointless. It will keep the engine clean though.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by asiann1nja
I am not saying it is bad for the engine, i actually ment your paying more for higher octane gas that wont all be used, meaning wasted/Pointless. It will keep the engine clean though.
higher octane keeps the engine clean.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:28 PM
wikipedia is not a reputable source, nor is howstuffworks. Tell any tech you are using super premium unleaded in your stock or all motor tuned honda fit and they will laugh. All you are doing is spending money that doesnt need to be spent and it is also MARGINALLY detrimental to your engine. It doesn't create enough of a difference that most people would notice but the slower burning nature of high octane fuel causes the mixture in your combustion chamber to be richer and therefore leave more deposits behind on your plugs, valves, and clog your cat faster. The fit burns pretty lean from the factory to conserve fuel so the difference won't be as noticeable as it would on some other cars that burn closer to stoich, but there will still be a difference.

also the theory that higher octane gas cleans the engine is so far from the truth it isn't even funny. If you look on any fuel injector cleaner or fuel system cleaner etc you will see that they use a mixture of many things including diesel fuel (which has a much much LOWER octane rating than regular gas). This is because the hotter and faster burning nature of diesel mixed with the other detergents in the cleaners will burn off any excess deposits left over from the incomplete burn that even regular gas gives.

Last edited by 5speedwonder; 09-09-2009 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:35 PM
Why? The engine was designed/tuned to run on 87 octane, the higher octane is of no value other than depleting your cash.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:41 PM
I did see an interesting post about how using the higher octane fuel causes the ecu to run more ignition advance, which in turn would cause the engine to run with more power and comparable burn rates as regular gas (depending on just how much ignition advance takes place).

I think I'm going to have to do some tests myself with my datalogger and wideband and see what kinds of results I get with regular vs premium. I only wish my local dyno shop hadn't closed down so we could have some solid numbers to run off of power wise. It would be interesting to see whether the ecu can advance ignition enough to actually make it worthwhile to run premium.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 5speedwonder
I think I'm going to have to do some tests myself with my datalogger and wideband and see what kinds of results I get with regular vs premium. I only wish my local dyno shop hadn't closed down so we could have some solid numbers to run off of power wise. It would be interesting to see whether the ecu can advance ignition enough to actually make it worthwhile to run premium.
Really good data would be welcome, although even dyno runs would need some controls, such as draining all the fuel before switching to a different fuel, and trying to make sure that environmental conditions are identical, or nearly so for each run. I strongly suspect that the power differences between regular and premium fuel would be so small that controlling for other variables would be essential.

Fuel economy testing for regular vs premium would be even more problematic. Someone who lives in Florida (relatively flat, with little climate variation) and drives the same route every day would be a good candidate, and even then I would want to see a month of fill-ups for each fuel before coming to any conclusions.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
wikipedia is not a reputable source, nor is howstuffworks.
It depends. For non-controversial information in STM (science, technology, medicine) Wikipedia has a good reputation. A definition of octane rating falls within this category. Wikipedia's reliability for soft disciplines, and for topical subjects is another matter entirely. Caveat lector.

I've been a librarian since 1972, so evaluating information sources is a major part of what I've been doing for nearly 40 years. A while ago I did a fairly extensive literature search, including both Medline and Wikipedia, for information on bupropion. The Wikipedia article provided the most comprehensive and best sourced (146 references as of 09/09/09) overview of anything I found.

Last edited by Selden; 09-09-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:42 PM
5 Year Member
wikipedia is not a reputable source, nor is howstuffworks. Tell any tech you are using super premium unleaded in your stock or all motor tuned honda fit and they will laugh. All you are doing is spending money that doesnt need to be spent and it is also MARGINALLY detrimental to your engine. It doesn't create enough of a difference that most people would notice but the slower burning nature of high octane fuel causes the mixture in your combustion chamber to be richer and therefore leave more deposits behind on your plugs, valves, and clog your cat faster. The fit burns pretty lean from the factory to conserve fuel so the difference won't be as noticeable as it would on some other cars that burn closer to stoich, but there will still be a difference.

also the theory that higher octane gas cleans the engine is so far from the truth it isn't even funny. If you look on any fuel injector cleaner or fuel system cleaner etc you will see that they use a mixture of many things including diesel fuel (which has a much much LOWER octane rating than regular gas). This is because the hotter and faster burning nature of diesel mixed with the other detergents in the cleaners will burn off any excess deposits left over from the incomplete burn that even regular gas gives.
Yes that is what i heared from a friend of my who know alot about cars. I learn most of my things from him.

Quick Reply: premium gas