1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Fit power steering trouble

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 08:04 PM
5 Year Member
Fit power steering trouble

I have a 2008 FitS auto with 66000 miles. I love it, I'm 6'3, 220 pounds and "fit" fine. I average 37 mpg.

8 weeks ago the power steering cut out and the warning light came on. I shut off the engine, then restarted it and it worked fine for 3 more weeks. Then the same thing happened, worked fine after shutting off and restarting, no problem for the last 5 weeks and over 3000 miles. The dealer, Piazza Honda of Pottstown says it is the power steering EPS unit, to the tune of $665, not counting labor.

Am I wasting my money since the problem has not reoccured in 3000 miles? My son will be getting his license soon, and I'm afraid if it happens when he is driving it might cause an accident.

Has anyone else experiensed this? Piazza said it the second one they have seen.

Unrelated problem: yesterday the tire pressure warning light came on and has not gone off after 200 miles. The pressure is 32psi cold all around. Anyone seen this problem?

Old 10-13-2009, 09:00 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
id be kinda worried if a young driver with not much experience encountered that
problem. the steering gets excessively heavy so i'd change it.

TPMS can come on on random at times. if your pressure is ok, chances are
it was just an error. the error light comes on when you're under 28psi... it could
be that during the early hours temps outside is causing your tires to loose psi.

1psi change per 10F. so even if 32psi during the day at 70F, if temps are down
near freezing at night it can throw the error light. i like to pump my tires more
around 35psi+ just for that reason.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member
oh cool, pottstown, i've been through there quite a few times.

I would get that power steering unit taken care of.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cannonball
I have a 2008 FitS auto with 66000 miles. I love it, I'm 6'3, 220 pounds and "fit" fine. I average 37 mpg.

8 weeks ago the power steering cut out and the warning light came on. I shut off the engine, then restarted it and it worked fine for 3 more weeks. Then the same thing happened, worked fine after shutting off and restarting, no problem for the last 5 weeks and over 3000 miles. The dealer, Piazza Honda of Pottstown says it is the power steering EPS unit, to the tune of $665, not counting labor.

Am I wasting my money since the problem has not reoccured in 3000 miles? My son will be getting his license soon, and I'm afraid if it happens when he is driving it might cause an accident.

Has anyone else experiensed this? Piazza said it the second one they have seen.

Unrelated problem: yesterday the tire pressure warning light came on and has not gone off after 200 miles. The pressure is 32psi cold all around. Anyone seen this problem?

search is your friend.

BUT to answer your question, several fit drivers have experienced this. i have had it happen to me 3 times since i have owned my car,(07 a/t fit sport with 60k), and it actually happened to my wife today when she took her out for a spin.

bascially, its a faulty eps (electric power steering unit.) the fix?

1. turn your car off...turn it on. ouila! your power steering is back. what causes it? beats me. just know its an error in the actual unit.

2. take it to the dealer....WITHOUT turning off your car. the dealers scan equipment will NOT be able to replicate OR diagnose the problem unless you leave the car on. the only fit freak member to ever get it fixed did exactly this, and thankfully his $800+ replacement power steering unit was covered under warranty.

so there is a way to get it fixed, but you'll have to do exactly that, and its a terrible way to rectify it because this 'issue' can strike at any time.

on the flip side....unless you are not paying attention while you drive, its not that big a deal.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member
I've got an 07 with 60K and the steering has gone out three or four times in the last year. Only difference is that it's only happened when I've warmed my car for a long period of time in below zero temps. I've been able to turn off and restart every time. I wish there were more info about this problem and what is causing it. It would be nice if the EPS unit could be repaired. It's also kind of a safety issue. I wish there were more cases so they would recall the part.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by willy65000
I've got an 07 with 60K and the steering has gone out three or four times in the last year. Only difference is that it's only happened when I've warmed my car for a long period of time in below zero temps. I've been able to turn off and restart every time. I wish there were more info about this problem and what is causing it. It would be nice if the EPS unit could be repaired. It's also kind of a safety issue. I wish there were more cases so they would recall the part.
Replacement might be your best option I'm afraid...as with most things electronic gone wonky

Mine's a 2005 GD1, 55,000 km (roughly 30,000 mi), so far so good. Fingers crossed.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:30 AM
i had this happen twice, It was a cold morning out and i started the car and the EPS light stayed on, i let it warm up a bit, shut it off and turned it back on and problem solved. I figured it was the battery being a bit weak in the cold or something. So i took the car into the Shop today for its B13 service (73,000 mi). i mentoned it to the service advisor and went about my business. Later he came back ( i was waiting finsihing up some work) and he said the EPS module needed to be replaced to the tune of $800. Good think my HondaCare warrenty is still in effect.

Its been a good car, but that damn mainteance minder light is annoying, than all these "Scheduled Maintenaces" that are damn near required are pricey for what little they give you. I also had the coilpack problem, and after 4 visit's back to the shop they finally replaced all the coilpacks and not a problem since.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:03 AM
5 Year Member
I know this is a 1st generation thread, but I experienced this issue today with my 09 Fit. It's a year old and when I started the car after coming out of a store, the light came on. I had no idea what it was so I looked in the manual before driving off. It said to turn off the car and restart which I did. The light didn't go out so I started driving. The wheel was really difficult to turn and so I drove all the way home like that (~10 minutes).

When I got home in the driveway, I shut off the car and then restarted it. The light went out and power steering was back. I have never lost power steering in any vehicle I've ever had so it's terrible. The only thing different today was that I drove off to the store when the car was still cold (outside temp -20C). Usually I let it warm up. Very strange. I hope this doesn't happen again. It would be very difficult to take it to Honda when this problem happens.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:47 PM
Power steering T.S.B.

There is a T.S.B out for this problem. EPS control moudule needs to be replaced to fix on the GD3.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:08 PM
GD EPS - read free pdf

This is covered only if your vehicle is still under warranty. You can request assistance through Honda if the dealer cannot get goodwill assistance.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:19 AM
Been driving for 4 months now with absolutely NO power steering
I have taken it to my dealership three times. The first time they did a couple of diagnostic tests and when nothing turned up they told me it would cost me $190 a hour for them to go through each of the 123 diagnostic code tests to try and find the cause. It might take an hour it might take 10. They couldn't say. So I left with no satisfaction. Then a month ago I accidently came across an old letter from Honda Canada saying that I had an extended warranty to use whenever my power steering went out. But apparently it only applied to two specific codes, neither of which were the issue I was told. Now I have been informed that the only solution is to replace the power steering system rack to the tune of $3,300 parts and labour!
Honda Canada has been contacted but they are taking no responsibility for this. My dealership just tells me I should consider buying a new car. I had such hope for this car. I just can't believe that it only has a 7 year life. I would never have bought it had I known. I had heard that Honda has a reputation for cars with a long life. Feeling so helpless and discouraged. Any assistance or alternative options would be greatly appreciated. Doesn't help that I just read another thread (I think in the US though), where someone else with the same issue had complete satisfaction....Honda paid for the whole repair. Someone else spoke of reporting the issue to the Highway and Transportation department because it is a safety issue and as such Honda should be sending out a recall for it.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:55 AM
5 Year Member
There is a recall for the power steering.why doesnt it apply to you?

Old 10-10-2015, 04:02 PM
I was told they fixed whatever that recall addressed but this is apparently a different issue that they say can't be fixed except to replace the motor unit and the eps rack. The total cost for this including labour (10 hrs they figured) is $3300 before tax.
I am going to file a letter of complaint to Honda Canada because it is a safety issue and I believe it should be taken care of by them. We'll see what happens....

Old 10-12-2015, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member
It does not even cost 3300 to replace a BMW electric rack.. That dealer is a stealer..

Old 10-13-2015, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member
10 Hours?!?!?! Do they have to remove the body to get to this part?

Old 10-13-2015, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
if car has less than 100,000 the NEW warranty extension covers this!(100k, 10 years)

Old 04-04-2016, 02:56 PM
I have a honda fit 2010, I just started having problems with my power steering when I am driving its fine no problem but the problem starts when I try to park after I turn the steering wheel a couple of times it gets difficult but I am not getting no warning light coming on.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:00 AM
5 Year Member
Question

Originally Posted by sadaboutmyfit
I was told they fixed whatever that recall addressed but this is apparently a different issue that they say can't be fixed except to replace the motor unit and the eps rack. The total cost for this including labour (10 hrs they figured) is $3300 before tax.
I am going to file a letter of complaint to Honda Canada because it is a safety issue and I believe it should be taken care of by them. We'll see what happens....
The exact same thing happened with my 2007 Fit this week. I took it to the dealership and they said the code is not the same as what was in that Honda letter with the extended warranty (10 years/240,000 km). Hence it wasn't covered under that warranty. They quoted $1850 (taxes included) to replace the power steering unit. So I called Honda Canada Customer Service and they told me the same thing- not covered under the warranty because it's a different code.
Have you heard back from Honda Canada regarding your complaint?

Old 10-15-2016, 12:22 PM
Honda fit power steering problems reply

I have experienced the same problem a few years ago with my brother 2008 fit, at first, I thought it needed power steering fluid, but came to realize it's electric steering, I researched online and came to the conclusion that the power steering needed replacing, until I started it again and realized my battery, and steering light came on, my dad and I refurbished the alternator, and it worked like new. I think most of the issues posted here are similar, it's most likely electrical issue, not the power steering.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
they extended the power steering module for 07-08 fits until 150K through the dealership. My wife got hers replaced around 120k

Quick Reply: Fit power steering trouble